Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Swadley's

1. Default Re: Swadley's

The quote in the story where the firestorm erupted from was "We don't allow people who don't exemplify respect for themselves."

Yea, I can see where that would offend a reasonable person (insert eye-roll). I mean, I prefer to be served food where the employees don't even respect themselves. Nowhere in that quote does it mention that tattoos in general mean you don't respect yourself. In fact, that quote was butted up to a NON-QUOTE and then all the snowflakes got triggered.

Default Re: Swadley's

What do we call snowflakes who get offended by snowflakes getting offended?

3. Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    haha at this point I've seen more people whining about people being annoyed by a stupid opinion than I've seen people whining about the stupid opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    A Baby Boomer

This baby boomer isn't offended. I just shake my head that this is even an issue. All this has given me a hankering for BBQ though, so I think I'll head down the street to Swadley's for lunch today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    A Baby BoomerDefault Re: Swadley's
    This is exactly the uninformed stereotyping that is rampaging this country. People who are offended by and speak out against ignorant talk, prejudice, divisive talk, strong provocation, bigotry, generational hate, and worse, are labeled "snow flakes". And yet the people who espouse hateful actions seem to get bent out of shape for being called out on it.

I know lots of persons from other generations who get offended by all kinds of tattoo art and don't understand the desire. There are many others who have been raised to believe that marking one's body is against the Scriptures and their faith. This is more a cultural and faith issue than a generational one.

What is funny about tattoos, this used to be a sign of rebelliousness and originality...edginess. Now, this is about being the same and being a cool kid. Now, the easy and common thing is to get one. In our part of the world, this is labeled as "all hat and no cattle". Now, it is just harmless dalliances. And, like art, there are so really attractive tattoos and most are just bad art.

This whole issue is a great tempest in a teapot pretty much only existing on this board. Swadleys is doing fine and will keep doing fine until they quit serving BBQ that people like. Hate to break it to everyone, but people don't go to restaurants to scrutinize the looks of servers, but to eat food they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    This is exactly the uninformed stereotyping that is rampaging this country. People who are offended by and speak out against ignorant talk, prejudice, divisive talk, strong provocation, bigotry, generational hate, and worse, are labeled "snow flakes". And yet the people who espouse hateful actions seem to get bent out of shape for being called out on it.

I know lots of persons from other generations who get offended by all kinds of tattoo art and don't understand the desire. There are many others who have been raised to believe that marking one's body is against the Scriptures and their faith. This is more a cultural and faith issue than a generational one.

What is funny about tattoos, this used to be a sign of rebelliousness and originality...edginess. Now, this is about being the same and being a cool kid. Now, the easy and common thing is to get one. In our part of the world, this is labeled as "all hat and no cattle". Now, it is just harmless dalliances. And, like art, there are so really attractive tattoos and most are just bad art.

This whole issue is a great tempest in a teapot pretty much only existing on this board. Swadleys is doing fine and will keep doing fine until they quit serving BBQ that people like. Hate to break it to everyone, but people don't go to restaurants to scrutinize the looks of servers, but to eat food they like.
    Your entire post hits the nail directly on the head. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

Spot on! I certainly have my criticisms of baby boomers but generalizations of groups never helps. Then again, check the source of that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Spot on! I certainly have my criticisms of baby boomers but generalizations of groups never helps. Then again, check the source of that post.
    I'm offended by this

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    I'm offended by this
    I’m offended that you’re offended.

You’re not offended without your own permission.

I am surprised there hasn't been any discussion of this on OKCtalk. I had not visited FKB but saw one when hiking at state park during Covid lockdown and thought....that's really nice for a state park out in middle of nowhere.

The question is....where there is smoke, is there fire or just BBQ?

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ed/7440280001/

13. Default Re: Swadley's

If I read the article I read on KFOR correctly all these state park restaurants had operated at a loss for some time and were in various states of disrepair when the state solicited bids for refurbishment and operation. Swadley's was the only bidder. Not surprising for a pretty extensive project with questionable hope of making much profit. The construction costs didn't seem outrageous to me and the state covering expected operating losses in the contract I don't see a problem with. At least, if the story is accurate, the restaurants would be operating and Swadley's at least wouldn't lose money. Maybe there's suspicion of more going on under the table than the article covers.

The Lost Ogle had stories about this (now all behind a paywall, I believe), NonDoc might have some, not sure KFOR and the Joklahoman have all the details. It's a massive grift and corrupt as hell, and I hope that investigations and audits start up soon and people get charged/fired/whatever.

15. Default Re: Swadley's

I had eaten at the one located at Lake Murray a couple of times for breakfast. It was always busy and the food/service were good too.... Definitely a step up from any dining option the parks had ever had before and good enough that I would make the 30 minute drive to the lake, from my farm, just to have breakfast there..... Especially for the view from the patio.

But I've also seen some other articles that reported some potentially sketchy deals. Specifically the price paid for a couple of smokers..... Which I found odd because while I had never eaten there for lunch/dinner.... I didn't remember seeing BBQ on the menu... But even if they were offering smoked items.... The prices I saw reported paid for the smokers were almost twice what I would have paid to get one retail.

16. Default Re: Swadley's

I figured there had to be more to it than the KFOR article had in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    If I read the article I read on KFOR correctly all these state park restaurants had operated at a loss for some time and were in various states of disrepair when the state solicited bids for refurbishment and operation. Swadley's was the only bidder. Not surprising for a pretty extensive project with questionable hope of making much profit. The construction costs didn't seem outrageous to me and the state covering expected operating losses in the contract I don't see a problem with. At least, if the story is accurate, the restaurants would be operating and Swadley's at least wouldn't lose money. Maybe there's suspicion of more going on under the table than the article covers.
    There are allegations of gouging and overpricing.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...sm/7326424001/

The Frontier broke this story and as usual, TLO and the Oklahoman are just drafting off of the hard work and diligence of others.

The Frontier is a nonprofit and their articles are free:

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories...lent-activity/

There are several more stories about this on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    The Lost Ogle had stories about this (now all behind a paywall, I believe), NonDoc might have some, not sure KFOR and the Joklahoman have all the details. It's a massive grift and corrupt as hell, and I hope that investigations and audits start up soon and people get charged/fired/whatever.
    There was an article a few weeks back with the whistleblower tell all. People should go to jail with what was done, and Winchester should be the first to go.

20. Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    There was an article a few weeks back with the whistleblower tell all. People should go to jail with what was done, and Winchester should be the first to go.

But....but.... According to our Governor turned food critic.... The Winchester Burger is a 10/10!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    But....but.... According to our Governor turned food critic.... The Winchester Burger is a 10/10!
    I figure Stitt and Winchester are best buds.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I figure Stitt and Winchester are best buds.....
    Apparently Winchester and Swadley are too.....

"It was after that Swadley had a chance encounter with Winchester at Wiley Post Airport, the former associate said. Checking on his Prevost Class A motorhome at the airport, Swadley spotted a similar motorhome and went over to meet the owner. The former associate said that man turned out to be Winchester.

The two hit it off, and Swadley's soon got a chance to prove itself at higher-profile events for the company, according to the former associate."

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ey/7234884001/

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I'm optimistic the Winchester/Swadley tossed salad will be popular at OSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I wish that would happen, but I'm not optimistic at all - they'll both skate off with reduced something and maybe pay some fines, then get right back into the business of screwing the public shortly.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Wow. lulz

Thread Information