Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 15 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Swadley's

Multiple Locations Swadley's

Swadley's is building a new location around SW 79th and western. They've cleared off a pretty good spot, they will be moving from the current location at 89th and western which was the old A&W.

Default Re: New swadley's

I wonder what will go in the old location? I wouldn't be surprised to see it torn down to make room for something else. Lots of fond memories of the A&W that was there, would be sad to see the building go.

My favorite part when I was a kid was the miniature frosted mugs full of root beer and the trays brought and hung on the car window.

Update on their Western location in S. OKC

6/30/2014

Default Re: Swadley's

The new location is MUCH larger than their existing one, and appears to have considerable dining spaces. The photo is a little deceptive - really a pretty big place.

There are a BUNCH of tenants leaving that Brookwood shopping center. Wholly Grounds has left as of 5/31, and the owners are not renewing the lease for Boomerang - looks like they're closing as of 8/31, and their operation will be down in Norman with HeyDay somehow.

Tried to get some better photos today. I would've walked closer, but it was muddy.

7/8/2014

Got together with my family last night and they did a big family-style carryout from the 40th & Rockwell location and I was impressed.

We got a little of everything. I really liked the hot links and brisket. The fried okra was particularly good as was the mac & cheese, BBQ beans, creamed corn and Texas toast.

The sides were probably the best part of the meal but the meats were all better than decent.

Surprised they don't get talked about more.

8. Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Surprised they don't get talked about more.
    I've had good meals at Swadley's but you can get almost the exact same experience all over OKC..... Oklahoma City BBQ is so consistently the same around town that no one really just jumps out enough to be talked about..... Or maybe Q for me is like steaks for you.

^

That makes sense and while the meats were solid, they didn't blow me away.

But the sides were all quite good and better than most similar places.

10. Default Re: Swadley's

Agreed... Oklahoma City's BBQ isn't terrible by any means but it's not make your eyes roll back in your head good either...... Our market is saturated and stagnant with the exception of the two chef driven Q-raunts and I'm not that enamored with them.... I'll give Back Door credit for trying to emulate Central Texas Style brisket but they fall way short with their rendition of it.... Other than that. No one really wants to go out and try anything different.

I suggested that someone attempt to run with the new pork brisket that has appeared on the scene recently and make it an Oklahoma thing. So far no one has even tried one that I know of..... I regularly get asked about beef ribs in Oklahoma and have suggested it to several places... No one will try beef ribs..... I even mentioned serving Central Texas Style brisket, like Aaron Franklin has now made famous, and was told that serving Texas brisket in Oklahoma wouldn't go over well..... Oh well. I recently cooked a choice brisket that I would have put up against the best in Texas.... So I can get my fix... Everyone else has to make a 6 hour drive.... Well there is some decent Central Texas Style showing up in the Dallas area now... So only 3 hours....but still I think it would be a huge hit here if someone tried it, and did it properly, here.

^

But the sides were all quite good and better than most similar places.
    And I think Swadley's deserves major props for upping their game (at least in my opinion) a BUNCH in the last two or three years.

We visited Swadley's several times near when they first opened, and it was so disappointing we finally stopped going - and we *really* wanted it to be successful and gave it several tries - but we finally just gave up. We tried it again at their new location on S. Western and it was *SOO* much better! Everything - meat, sides, the works. I still think the okra at Earl's is better (have to grinch about SOMETHING), but I don't think there's any question that family is working hard to improve their product.

I'm not nearly as refined a palate on BBQ as OKBBQ is, but I surely remember back in the day when the OLD "Oklahoma Line" BBQ restaurant served real beef ribs. They were HUGE, and, *done right*, they were *awesome*. But, man, when that place went chain, it went downhill in a hurry, and their big beef ribs went right along with it (and everything else there, sadly). So I surely appreciate the idea he's talking about in getting someone in OKC to try something distinctive in BBQ - it would be *great* to develop a reputation unique to the area in something like this! I remember visiting a couple of different Memphis BBQ places a few years back, thinking I'd be blown away by some "real" Memphis BBQ, but came away "meh," it was only OK, so I think I understand where he's coming from ... )

12. Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I remember visiting a couple of different Memphis BBQ places a few years back, thinking I'd be blown away by some "real" Memphis BBQ, but came away "meh," it was only OK, so I think I understand where he's coming from ... )
    You definitely have to keep an open mind with BBQ because I don't think any other food has so many regional variations. It's why I don't even try to define who, or where, makes the best BBQ.... Although I have no problem declaring my love of Central Texas Style. If I ever had to choose a last meal it would definitely include a brisket from Snow's BBQ in Lexington Texas.

Probably one of the best things I ever learned about BBQ was from becoming a KCBS Certified Judge.... We are taught to judge each entry on it's own merits and not to compare one entry to another... So I approach each style of BBQ I try with that same philosophy..... Oklahoma City BBQ and Central Texas BBQ do not compare at all... They are like apples and oranges.... Heck even Tulsa BBQ and Oklahoma City BBQ don't compare well with each other.... Not as drastic a difference but you can definitely detect Tulsa's proximity to Kansas City in their Q and BurnCo in Tulsa is on a level all on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Agreed... Oklahoma City's BBQ isn't terrible by any means but it's not make your eyes roll back in your head good either...... Our market is saturated and stagnant with the exception of the two chef driven Q-raunts and I'm not that enamored with them.... I'll give Back Door credit for trying to emulate Central Texas Style brisket but they fall way short with their rendition of it.... Other than that. No one really wants to go out and try anything different.

I suggested that someone attempt to run with the new pork brisket that has appeared on the scene recently and make it an Oklahoma thing. So far no one has even tried one that I know of..... I regularly get asked about beef ribs in Oklahoma and have suggested it to several places... No one will try beef ribs..... I even mentioned serving Central Texas Style brisket, like Aaron Franklin has now made famous, and was told that serving Texas brisket in Oklahoma wouldn't go over well..... Oh well. I recently cooked a choice brisket that I would have put up against the best in Texas.... So I can get my fix... Everyone else has to make a 6 hour drive.... Well there is some decent Central Texas Style showing up in the Dallas area now... So only 3 hours....but still I think it would be a huge hit here if someone tried it, and did it properly, here.
    You think if we just told them to do "Kansas City style" beef ribs, they'd go for it? I had John Mueller's in Austin and Jack Stack's in KC and I much preferred the KC version. It's a bit pricey but the amount of food is 100% worth it. I'm surprised no one is willing to take a shot at it.

I've actually really enjoyed the Swadley's on Memorial near the mall the past few times I've gone. Their ribs are really good!

Brisket needs major work though...

I know all the OKC BBQ places are considered similar and mediocre at best, but I've really grown to like Swadley's, at least the location at Rockwell & 39th.

I have family in that area and we either stop in or order out.

Their sides are all very good; perhaps the best fried okra I've had with just the right amount of seasoning. Beans and mac & cheese are really good as well.

The meats aren't great (brisket is usually a little overcooked and dry) but I love their hot links. Mild spicy flavor with a bit of smoke too.

And they have a spicy/sweet BBQ sauce I really like.

16. Default Re: Swadley's

Swadley's is probably my favorite of the chains but I've always found them to be hit or miss on the quality.... I've had some really great meat there and I've had some "I can't believe this ever left the kitchen!" meat there..... But that's the problem I have with most BBQ in Oklahoma City... There are a handful of places here that when they get it right they knock it out of the freaking park but then you go back and you get served something you wouldn't feed your dog.... It really frustrates me.

I'm usually a Swadley's fan, because in the Yukon/Mustang area there's not a lot of other choices, but the last time I went the chopped brisket tasted like tuna fish. I've still not forgiven them for that. Should be a crime to do that to an innocent brisket. I agree with you entirely, when it's good, it's good. When it's not good, it's just *wrong*.

Side note, any other Mustang people find Swadley's to be a little...lacking, since A&E closed? It's like they think they personally closed down Tony's and then personally closed down A&E, so now their you-know-what doesn't stink, but their food and service does.

18. Default Re: Swadley's

And they have a spicy/sweet BBQ sauce I really like.
    And this is the #1 thing I hear from most people, including my wife, that like Swadley's.... "I really love their sauce."

And I'll agree on that. Their sauce is pretty darn good and it's the one thing that's always consistently good. ;+)

I suspect it's difficult to screw up the hotlink, which is the meat I like the best there anyway.

20. Default Re: Swadley's

I suspect it's difficult to screw up the hotlink, which is the meat I like the best there anyway.
    True... Hot links should be as infallible as bologna...... Been awhile since I had hot links there. So I'm not sure if they are serving Schwabs or another brand.

Sure wish someone local would start making and smoking their own...... Kosmo's had a different style of links and Butcher BBQ Stand out at Wellston has theirs made to order from a packer out around there... And I believe Back Door may be custom making their Cheddar Jalapeno links but I'm not 100% certain on that one.

I know it's against pure BBQ mentality, but that hotlink sandwich with the spicy BBQ sauce and a side of fried okra with spicy beans is pretty darn good stuff.

Blog Entries

Swadley's is among the best: along with Earl's Rib Palace (Bricktown), baby back ribs. Go to those restaurants whenever I want to impress Hispanic relatives (mother's side), or to Leo's 36th & N. Kelly Avenue when hanging out with my darker relatives on my father's side.

If you're ever over on the East side of OKC, want something quick (carryout) ...@ N. E. 18th & MLK, open til 11 p.m., (get there before 9 p.m. for BBQ); there's a place called the Corner Market (convenient store--Chinese operated), they put out some really good barbecue ribs & smoked turkey legs (on weekends); also great catfish & fried chicken (legs, thighs, wings, wingdings) for those who want occasional clogs arteries.

See many whites that flock to the East side at places like Bobos (food truck) and other places , jus wanted to make you aware of some alternative food venues.

23. Default Re: Swadley's

I know it's against pure BBQ mentality, but that hotlink sandwich with the spicy BBQ sauce and a side of fried okra with spicy beans is pretty darn good stuff.
    All that matters is that it's darn good stuff.

This is causing a major firestorm on social media and there was just a story on KFOR about it.

“Swadley said, visible tattoos are generally a disqualifier for employment as well. "We don't allow people who don't exemplify respect for themselves."

https://www.enidnews.com/oklahoma/ne...55815fa77.html

25. Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by GoOKC1991 View Post
    This is causing a major firestorm on social media and there was just a story on KFOR about it.

“Swadley said, visible tattoos are generally a disqualifier for employment as well. "We don't allow people who don't exemplify respect for themselves."

https://www.enidnews.com/oklahoma/ne...55815fa77.html
    They posted this to their Facebook about an hour ago.....

We can see that there is a real need to clear the air, and we hope to put everyone at ease about the article that was recently published by the Enid News & Eagle. We have the utmost respect for this publication. With that said, some of the statements made in the piece were represented in a way that does not accurately reflect the quote or Swadley’s values. We are intensely saddened to know that this misrepresentation has upset so many… and for good reason. We are not in the business of judging anyone. Everyone is welcome at Swadley’s. We’re about bringing people together with great food and service.

We have hundreds of employees, and there are a significant number of key people on our team with body art. As it is with a lot of companies, we ask that tattoos remain covered since some body art could display words or images that may be viewed as being inappropriate for all audiences. Instead of evaluating each person’s tattoos, we just ask that they remain unseen.

We also want to be clear that we would never ever want to put any other restaurants out of business. Our conversations were intended to be playful, competitive banter with our local competition in Enid. We truly wish them all the best.

Swadley’s is a company, but most importantly, we are a family that is built on sincere compassion and love for all people and our community. We hope that this very upsetting misunderstanding can be put to rest and that you will continue to choose Swadley’s as your favorite Bar-B-Q spot.

Thread Information