Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Swadley's

Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Man, Butcher's has about ruined brisket for me from anywhere else. Although, just a couple of weeks ago the wife and I ate at that BBQ place in the gas station on I-35 at the Stillwater exit and the brisket there was surprisingly good - like I will probably add it into a regular road trip rotation good.
    have you tried edge craft bbq? it is all good!

Who cares about their f@*ng food. They ripped us off.

3. Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Man, Butcher's has about ruined brisket for me from anywhere else. Although, just a couple of weeks ago the wife and I ate at that BBQ place in the gas station on I-35 at the Stillwater exit and the brisket there was surprisingly good - like I will probably add it into a regular road trip rotation good.
    I recently heard that was good. Been by it a 100 times and never stopped. Will have to try it next time.

Clark Crew is tier one bbq in my book.

5. Default Re: Swadley's

Slander: defamation; calumny:
    The accusations are based on hearsay, rumor, or intentional slander, and remain undocumented and unproved.

Please show us what posts contained slander.

State fire marshal: Half of former Swadley's state park restaurants code compliant (nondoc.com)

can't imagine many other restaurants being able to operate without their code inspections being completed.

Was/is Swadley's BBQ any good? I've never had it but my father (when he was alive) and my brother liked it

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    Was/is Swadley's BBQ any good? I've never had but my father (when he was alive and my brother liked it
    It is quite average{and that's being nice}, lots of better choice for Q in the metro area.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    IMO, great BBQ starts with great meat and most OK BBQ restaurants use cheaper meat to keep their prices down. Most Oklahomans won't pay for premium BBQ so they don't know how good BBQ can be. Give me Edge Craft and The Butcher BBQ Stand. I'm willing to pay extra for great BBQ.
    Texlahoma uses prime meats and JoBawbs is great too.

You paint with a broad brush when you say "most OK". Probably is true for all other states too. There are those better known who use prime meats and most who don't. That's just common sense. They all serve their particular demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    State fire marshal: Half of former Swadley's state park restaurants code compliant (nondoc.com)

can't imagine many other restaurants being able to operate without their code inspections being completed.
    . . article said the RFP opened 6 May and closes 20 May. Is 14 calendars days a normal RFP window?

11. Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Texlahoma uses prime meats and JoBawbs is great too.

You paint with a broad brush when you say "most OK". Probably is true for all other states too. There are those better known who use prime meats and most who don't. That's just common sense. They all serve their particular demographic.
    I've only tried Texlahoma once, but was very impressed with their brisket. Tried JoBawbs once and was not impressed. I'd like to give both of them another try because one time is not always a good indication of their quality. I'll also add Cornish to the list. They have consistently good brisket.

Also, I never meant to infer that Oklahomans were unique in settling for inferior BBQ because they don't want to pay a premium for great BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I've only tried Texlahoma once, but was very impressed with their brisket. Tried JoBawbs once and was not impressed. I'd like to give both of them another try because one time is not always a good indication of their quality. I'll also add Cornish to the list. They have consistently good brisket.

Also, I never meant to infer that Oklahomans were unique in settling for inferior BBQ because they don't want to pay a premium for great BBQ.
    IMO Edge Craft is the best I've had in Oklahoma but I have not had a lot of BBQ in the state. I've had Backdoor BBQ which I love, Iron Star which I love, Earl's BBQ up on western it's pretty solid and Smoked Out BBQ and its not bad.

I need to try Clarks Crew, Pig and the Butcher, Leo's, Bedlam BBQ, Kings BBQ, Dickey's BBQ Pit, and Rudy's BBQ,

Everytime I go and visit family in San Antonio I stop at 2M Smokehouse it is the best BBQ I've ever had in my life! but I have not had Terry Blacks or Franklins or Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ which is my next spot on my next trip to San Antonio

I'm sure a lot of you on this site are way more familiar with Okie BBQ as I have only had a few places.

Feel free to let me know what is the best or what you believe is the best and I'm talking about the entire state!

IMO Edge Craft is the best I've had in Oklahoma but I have not had a lot of BBQ in the state. I've had Backdoor BBQ which I love, Iron Star which I love, Earl's BBQ up on western it's pretty solid and Smoked Out BBQ and its not bad.

I need to try Clarks Crew, Pig and the Butcher, Leo's, Bedlam BBQ, Kings BBQ, Dickey's BBQ Pit, and Rudy's BBQ,...
    Actually, you can just go to Clark Crew, they're the only ones worth a crap out of those (haven't tried Bedlam, though, but have done the rest and meh, except Leo's pulled pork (they had it once at the 36th/Lincoln Homeland location when we were there)). For reference, I really liked Maples, like Clark Crew, like Burn Co., need to try Edge Craft and Butcher. Iron Star used to be good, but they started skimping on their appetizer sizes and the quality went downhill a bit, so haven't eaten there in a few years.

14. Default Re: Swadley's

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Actually, you can just go to Clark Crew, they're the only ones worth a crap out of those (haven't tried Bedlam, though, but have done the rest and meh, except Leo's pulled pork (they had it once at the 36th/Lincoln Homeland location when we were there)). For reference, I really liked Maples, like Clark Crew, like Burn Co., need to try Edge Craft and Butcher. Iron Star used to be good, but they started skimping on their appetizer sizes and the quality went downhill a bit, so haven't eaten there in a few years.
    I agree that CC is really good. I want to try Pig and the Butcher though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I agree that CC is really good. I want to try Pig and the Butcher though.
    The problem we had with them is their pulled pork had a bunch of hunks of fat in it, which means they aren't doing it right, and the sides were pretty tasteless/average. Since they're out of our normal driving range, they weren't good enough to go back to.

16. Default Re: Swadley's

The problem we had with them is their pulled pork had a bunch of hunks of fat in it, which means they aren't doing it right, and the sides were pretty tasteless/average. Since they're out of our normal driving range, they weren't good enough to go back to.
    Thanks. I think you just saved us a trip. Butcher is about the same distance but harder to get to than CC.

edge craft is the same dude that had Maples

Had Iron Star a couple weeks ago and it was great. Mac Cheese is always super good. Wife had pork ribs and loved them, okra was good and I had the pimento jalapeno burger which is always good.

Give Iron Star another shot

Thanks man, heard nothing but great things about CC's. Didn't the guy that owns CC's win like every BBQ award a person can win?

edge craft is the same dude that had Maples

Had Iron Star a couple weeks ago and it was great. Mac Cheese is always super good. Wife had pork ribs and loved them, okra was good and I had the pimento jalapeno burger which is always good.

Give Iron Star another shot

Thanks man, heard nothing but great things about CC's. Didn't the guy that owns CC's win like every BBQ award a person can win?
    Edge craft is one of the pit masters from maples.

Iron stars best thing is their sides (take that as you will).

Butcher stand is very very hard to top.

Texlahoma puts out some great stuff.

edge craft is the same dude that had Maples...
    Yep, that's why they're on our list, we just haven't gotten there yet (we've got about 60 more new-ish restaurants on our list to try, but we only eat out once (maybe twice) a week, so our list doesn't get shorter very quickly).

Tried Kings last night on 23rd and Portland. It was really good actually!! Worth a try if you haven’t been there. Swadleys won’t be getting our business. No sense in rewarding the crooks. They certainly don’t give a crap about the taxpayers of OK so why support them when there is comparable and better around!!

21. Default Re: Swadley's

More news on the Swadleys front from NonDoc.

https://nondoc.com/2022/05/20/swadle...y-member-home/

Looks like the vendor building one of the Execs homes was also doing the renovations. Looks like extra charged vendor fees.

22. Default Re: Swadley's

^^^ With every new detail this just gets shadier and shadier.

"On May 12, Jackson told the special legislative committee that some of the invoices Premiere Custom Homes submitted to Swadley’s — as well as Swadley’s subsequent reimbursement invoices to the state — raised red flags.

“We did a case study on one vendor, Premier Custom Homes,” Jackson told legislators. “They had a $20,000 fee they charged on $53,000 in work. Once they did that, Swadley’s billed the OTRD for the $73,000 and then charged the consulting management fees.”

Jackson said those consulting and management fees charged to the state by Swadley’s in August 2021 were for an additional 30 percent of total costs, meaning Swadley’s calculated its 30 percent based off a total that included Premiere Custom Homes’ own $20,000 vendor fee."

If this has already been mentioned/posted on OKCTalk I apologize

I did not know this and not sure that I can agree especially with Texas and South Carolina but who knows I'm probably wrong

https://okcfox.com/news/local/oklaho...bq-study-finds

John and Cooks in Lawton is great. Best hot bbq sauce I've ever had. I don't know if it's still in business

If this has already been mentioned/posted on OKCTalk I apologize

I did not know this and not sure that I can agree especially with Texas and South Carolina but who knows I'm probably wrong

https://okcfox.com/news/local/oklaho...bq-study-finds
    all that really tells me is that most people have no idea what good BBQ is. lol

Thread Information