Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Shadid drop out now?

Default Re: Should Shadid drop out now?

Absolutely. There is a comment in the article above that if I knew was in the records, I would have done everything to keep them sealed as well. Imagine those three kids now knowing he said this and not being old enough to understand how people change and things are often said in a state of disassociation. He's apparently done a lot of soul searching and straightened out his life (according to he and his ex-wife). I would hope he'd have the decency now to drop out and keep those comments from being more than a one-day story and move on with his life. He had no business running for mayor in the first place.

Wow. This is so much worse than I thought it would be. It's going to take me a while to process this. I'm speechless. This is beyond the pale. Disgusting.

Oh my! Whether or not any of this is important to his ability to be mayor, I see no way he can survive this story. It's a killer for any political candidate. It appears that his children were well aware of the facts before this but I do feel sorry for them anyway. The only one responsible for any pain they may now feel is Ed.

As much as I dislike candidate Ed Shadid, there was no reason for those comments to have been published. I'm sorry, I can only think of those three kids. If Ed didn't by entering the race in the first place, the media should have by withholding that Shadid quote. Look up my history - I've been a major critic of Ed Shadid. But I say again, some things are just more important than "piling on" and it was irresponsible to publish such private things said while in a completely different spot in his life. Ed should drop out now and let this just go away. But, I am ashamed that the media thought it important enough to publish that comment about the children. I'm old-fashioned and I admit it, but that was too much. Just too much. Those three children now live with this forever. Yes, Dad did it, Dad got into politics, but Dad didn't think all of this through and believe that comment would EVER come out. The media just proved they're just as bad as Dad in reporting such a comment regarding those three sweet kids (and they are from everything I've heard). Rises to level of tragedy, in my opinion. Ed - just get out. Media - it's not important now

Good heavens, this guy is thoroughly screwed up. Decades of drug abuse?? And the comment about the kids?? Seriously?

How many people wish they'd never put him as their freakin' councilor now?

This is waaay beyond politics or the mayor's race. This guy has issues. Serious issues. And if someone wants to tell me he's 100% cured of everything, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya....

Someone needs to have a heart-to-heart with this guy and tell him to get out of this before the fiasco grows any larger. This debacle serves no one now.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Good heavens, this guy is thoroughly screwed up. Decades of drug abuse?? And the comment about the kids?? Seriously?

How many people wish they'd never put him as their freakin' councilor now?

This is waaay beyond politics or the mayor's race. This guy has issues. Serious issues. And if someone wants to tell me he's 100% cured of everything, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya....

Someone needs to have a heart-to-heart with this guy and tell him to get out of this before the fiasco grows any larger. This debacle serves no one now.
    Dave, I don't like Ed Shadid. I said what I had to say about it above.
    But for someone, like yourself, who writes regularly about their walk with Christ - that was not a very Christ-like post.
    What would Jesus do? Your religious views mean nothing to anybody when you show so little compassion at times like this.

I wonder if that's the item the judge said she would have left sealed had he shown up today. It was obviously a very bitter divorce but his wife should not have given this information out during the proceedings either. There are very few things you can be sure will stay secret if you tell even one other person.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    As much as I dislike candidate Ed Shadid, there was no reason for those comments to have been published. I'm sorry, I can only think of those three kids. If Ed didn't by entering the race in the first place, the media should have by withholding that Shadid quote. Look up my history - I've been a major critic of Ed Shadid. But I say again, some things are just more important than "piling on" and it was irresponsible to publish such private things said while in a completely different spot in his life. Ed should drop out now and let this just go away. But, I am ashamed that the media thought it important enough to publish that comment about the children. I'm old-fashioned and I admit it, but that was too much. Just too much. Those three children now live with this forever. Yes, Dad did it, Dad got into politics, but Dad didn't think all of this through and believe that comment would EVER come out. The media just proved they're just as bad as Dad in reporting such a comment regarding those three sweet kids (and they are from everything I've heard). Rises to level of tragedy, in my opinion. Ed - just get out. Media - it's not important now
    I certainly understand your thoughts but now that it's public record this information will come out one way or another. There is no point in not publishing it.

10. Default Re: Should Shadid drop out now?

I have no dog in this race. If you follow my writings, I've written things that were unappreciated by both candidates. My question: do we know that all of these allegations are true? Divorces get ugly.

FYI, and this is not about his desire to be mayor.

My understanding is that addicts don't get cured. An Addict learns to curb and control his or her addiction(s). Some do so better than others. Some may choose to disagree, but the term cured is rather inconsistent with my experiences with friend, family and others who deal with various addictions.

I don't know the context of this statement. But I also cannot understand in what context anyone could utter such a statement as this.

According to Fox 25's Rebecca Schleicher, Shadid said in reference to achieving sobriety: "Just kill the kids if I ever, if I ever go back. I hope the kids are raped and tortured."

This is just totally sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I have no dog in this race. If you follow my writings, I've written things that were unappreciated by both candidates. My question: do we know that all of these allegations are true? Divorces get ugly.
    Steve, of course divorces get ugly and sometimes false statements are made. Since his ex-wife is supposed to be behind him now would she be willing to say that the statements were incorrect and did he deny ever making those comments or deny any of the other allegations?

The judge was not the only person his wife told. I'd heard some of this at least a year ago from people she told. But we'll never know. If his wife now says she made it all up, which version of the truth is true?

And why plead the fifth during the divorce? If he denied everything at that time, it would have simply been her word against his.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I certainly understand your thoughts but now that it's public record this information will come out one way or another. There is no point in not publishing it.
    I suppose you are right. My own reaction to this has caught me by surprise. I've haven't hidden my distaste for Shadid. But, I'm really questioning a lot of things now.

Ewwww. Yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Dave, I don't like Ed Shadid. I said what I had to say about it above. But for someone who writes regularly about their walk with Christ - that was not a very Christ-like post.
    What do you think is not Christ-like?

I took the information from the facts available and concluded that the guy has serious issues. He does. Is that not appropriate?

If he has the myriad issues described in that article, I find it very difficult to believe he's presently entirely "cured" of them. Again, why is that not Christ-like?

If he has these issues, they do go way beyond politics. Why is that observation not Christ-like?

He needs to be out of this race. Why is that observation not Christ-like?

Christ was all about directly confronting the real issues that real people faced. He faced the woman at the well. He faced the rich man. He did not ignore the realities that were in front of Him.

If taking the direct court records and drawing the conclusions about his obvious problems is not Christ-like, I'd like to understand how. I didn't judge him. I didn't say he was condemned or going to Hell. In fact, I tried to express the importance of him getting out of this race now to avoid further exposure that damages him and his family.

Do I hope he exorcises these demons? Of course. I hope he comes to a saving knowledge of Christ as well. But he has no business in public office.

"Just kill the kids if I ever, if I ever go back, I hope the kids are raped and tortured."
    Is there any proof that he ever said this?

I am willing to bet some of these things were stretched and distorted. Going through a divorce is tough and I'm not defending Ed, but some here really attack the guy on every small thing and it is unprofessional and not worth it.

The guy has made some mistakes and needs to own up to them. He needs to look within himself and sort some things out. Ed Shadid does not belong in any position of power for years to come and should never be mayor of OKC, imo. The guy obviously needs help.

I know many people who have gone through tough divorces, but I cannot imagine anyone saying what Shadid is reported to have said.

Also, there appears to be a lot more to this story than The Gazette reported. I saw references to "choking" his wife, "free basing" cocaine. What casual user of cocaine free bases? I've never done coke but I would imagine If I would have, I would have started out snorting a few lines before advancing to free basing, which I understand is a complicated and dangerous endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    The judge was not the only person his wife told. I'd heard some of this at least a year ago from people she told. But we'll never know. If his wife now says she made it all up, which version of the truth is true?

And why plead the fifth during the divorce? If he denied everything at that time, it would have simply been her word against his.
    It is a right to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is there any proof that he ever said this?
    Plupan, without a recording there can be no more evidence about this than there is about a statement supposedly made in any court case. As I said, it will be interesting to see if either he or his wife now say that it was not said.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I know many people who have gone through tough divorces, but I cannot imagine anyone saying what Shadid is reported to have said.

Also, there appears to be a lot more to this story than The Gazette reported. I saw references to "choking" his wife, "free basing" cocaine. What casual user of cocaine free bases? I've never done coke but I would imagine If I would have, I would have started our snorting a few lines before advancing to free basing, which I understand is a complicated and dangerous endeavor.
    I do to and I have heard pretty bad things. Also, how do you know he even said that?

If people thought the Toronto mayoral allegations were bad, this certainly takes things to a different level. OKC is about to receive some unwanted national media coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Plupan, without a recording there can be no more evidence about this than there is about a statement supposedly made in any court case.
    That is what I'm saying, so there is no reason to get worked up over a comment that may or may not have been said. Stop demonizing this guy. I am sure he loves his kids to death and wants what is best for OKC, he just has his own ideas of what to do; they just happen to be--unfortunately for him--horrible ones.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    If people thought the Toronto mayoral allegations were bad, this certainly takes things to a different level. OKC is about to receive some unwanted national media coverage.
    Well, we don't need to be the subject of one of Jay Leno's monologues again.

Thread Information