Widgets Magazine

Thread: DT OKC Lunch Spot

Default DT OKC Lunch Spot

Greetings from Omaha. I am headed down to Dallas for New Years week for a well deserved vacation. On the way down I will have to zip right through OKC, but I planed a little extra time on the drive back up north on Friday the 3rd to detour into Downtown OKC. I haven't seen Devon since it was 50% finished!

I am looking for a good local lunch spot in one of the urban OKC neighborhoods. I prefer a counter to order at as I am not a fan of dealing with wait staff during lunch, but I can be flexible if there is a can't miss option with wait staff.

Hit me with your suggestions!

Default Re: DT OKC Lunch Spot

Nebu in the Devon complex.

Great food, reasonable prices, order at the counter, gorgeous setting.

Nebu is fantastic. I love Cafe 7 and there is one downtown. Same goes for Old School Bagel. Also, you can't beat Fuzzy's in Bricktown.

Waffle Champion in Midtown is a good option,.

If it is a clear day, and if you're going to go see Devon building anyway, spend a bit more at lunch and go upstairs to Vast to enjoy the view while you graze the buffet.

You have to do Coney Island. Cheap hot dogs and an... earthy atmosphere.

Waffle Champion won out. Very cool place with really good food.

A few of my super quick really uneducated observations from my hour through DT OKC.

Core to Shore will do wonders for the city. Right now the drive into downtown from 40 isn't much of an entrance for you guys.
    Devon is a gem, would enhance any skyline in the world.
    Myriad Gardens was very busy with mostly families, cool to see on a weekday.
    Stage Center is obviously a hot topic here. I wasn't overly impressed with the building itself. It is certianly unique and interesting, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece or anything like that. I do tend to be anti-demolition in cities that have plenty of open land to develop though.
    Bricktown was lively.
    Deep Deuce has some very impressive new urban construction, wish the area had more room to grow though!
    I really liked how all your urban districts more or less blend together into one very large urban fabric. Allows residents to from each to feed into the rest quite easily. I was also impressed with the placemaking in the city. You were always aware of what district you were in from the numerous attractive street signs. Really helps build the brand of those neighborhoods.

You folks have a good thing going.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    I don't get why some people here dog on it or say it isn't busy. We're there all the time and there are always lots of people there. Glad it was the same for you! It is such a great amenity downtown.
    My take is the people who say things like that don't go there. Same with Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanNebraska View Post
    I really liked how all your urban districts more or less blend together into one very large urban fabric. Allows residents to from each to feed into the rest quite easily. I was also impressed with the placemaking in the city. You were always aware of what district you were in from the numerous attractive street signs. Really helps build the brand of those neighborhoods.

I quoted this part of your post because this is a very new thing for OKC and an area where have just started to turn the corner.

There are still too many un- and under-developed properties in our urban core, and thus gaps between districts. But that is starting to change and within another year or two, there will be a massive improvement in this area.

Of course, there is still much to come and the streetcar will really help to fill in the remaining gaps.

Thanks for your post. Glad you enjoyed your brief visit.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanNebraska View Post
    Waffle Champion won out. Very cool place with really good food.

A few of my super quick really uneducated observations from my hour through DT OKC.

Core to Shore will do wonders for the city. Right now the drive into downtown from 40 isn't much of an entrance for you guys.
    Devon is a gem, would enhance any skyline in the world.
    Myriad Gardens was very busy with mostly families, cool to see on a weekday.
    Stage Center is obviously a hot topic here. I wasn't overly impressed with the building itself. It is certianly unique and interesting, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece or anything like that. I do tend to be anti-demolition in cities that have plenty of open land to develop though.
    Bricktown was lively.
    Deep Deuce has some very impressive new urban construction, wish the area had more room to grow though!

Yeah, my suggestion won.

As a side note to what you where saying about knowing what district you were in, I spent a few days a couple of months ago in Montreal. They have countless urban districts and they all have a different style of street lights which tells you which you are in. It is easy to tell when you go from one to another.

Going to be in town tomorrow evening.

What are the new must hit dinner or drink spots? I wouldn't mind giving the streetcar a spin, but not a deal breaker if there is a different district or area I shouldn't miss.

12. Default Re: DT OKC Lunch Spot

Maple's Barbecue in Plaza District... Great BBQ and excellent whiskey selection.

At Maples now. Enjoying it a lot. I am staying around 16th and Broadway and debated between a Lyft or just walking. The 1.5 mile walk won out bc of the plesant weather and boy am I glad it did. 16th between Broadway and the Plaza is absurdly charming.

Thread Information