Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinker AFB

1. Default Re: Tinker AFB

The Boeing facility just east of Douglas (MMRC or something) was originally designed to hold 17 hangers or something like that. Obviously they haven't built those yet, so they have plenty room to grow. Tinker also owns land all along the runways and east of Douglas south of 59th. So they have plenty of space if they want to expand, without closing Douglas. All they would need to do is build a runway bridge. Douglas is far too valuable since the next exist isn't until Anderson or Air Depot on 240.

Default Re: Tinker AFB

Cost to put in another highway exit made from 8" to 10" concrete vs the cost for an aircraft runway bridge made from 18" concrete would be very similar.
    I think Douglas will be closed.

3. Default Re: Tinker AFB

The commander at tinker has said that he would like to see the base expand east and include (close) Douglas. We had a ceremony on Tuesday to officially celebrate the new 158 acres added to the base through the acquisition of the BNSF rail yard. This is the beginning of a 500,000,000.00 expansion of the base which adds 14 hangers and becomes the maintenance hub for the kc46A. Tinker will hire 1300 aerospace workers to staff the facility. there is much more to come as it stands right now.

Good grief, Tinker is such a massive economic engine for OKC.

I wonder the annual impact when you consider Boeing and the ancillary businesses?

Really, the GM plant going out has been a blessing in disguise because that building is now full of workers and it allowed the BNSF railyard to become unnecessary and thus created this massive expansion opportunity.

Everyone frets when a few hundred jobs get lost in the O&G industry and almost silently, this facility is adding thousands every year it seems.

if you are really interested, they (the Air Logistics Center) used to publish an annual Economic Impact Statement. I bet they still do. Was provided to the State and City Chambers as well as State legislators and handed out to selected visitors. Had a lot of interesting financial and manpower data in it.

Tinker Air Force Base broke ground on its KC-46A Sustainment Complex on July 26, ushering in the next generation of the Air Force’s aerial refueling aircraft. The Complex is located on 158 acres of land formerly owned by Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Co. The Chamber spearheaded several months of negotiations for Tinker to acquire the land, which was finalized in early 2015.

The Sustainment Center will bring more than 1,300 jobs to Oklahoma City and will allow the U.S. Air Force to replace its aging tanker fleet of KC-135 Stratotankers. Replacing the Eisenhower-era aircraft with the modernized KC-46A Pegasus will support the Air Force’s goal of global reach for America.
    http://www.greateroklahomacity.com/n...nd-on-okc-46a/

Tinker has applied to close the stretch of Midwest Blvd. directly east of the old GM plant and north of SE 74th, which is due north of I-240.

I guess they are going to start forcing Tinker employees who work at that location to use one of the gates off of south Douglas. They may already do this since as of now, Midwest Blvd just leads to a guard shack past SE 74th st.

I wonder why the need?

New facilities in that area?

Someone who works at Tinker informed me they are seeking to close that portion of Midwest Boulevard for a new jet ramp from the new KC 46 building (which will be built on the old BNSF rail yard that was recently acquired) and thus connecting to the existing taxi and runway system.

It is really hard to keep track of everything going on out there and there are a bunch of huge projects.

Here is a JR article about the KC 46 project. It's massive:

http://journalrecord.com/tinkertakeo...t-generations/

12. Default Re: Tinker AFB

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Someone who works at Tinker informed me they are seeking to close that portion of Midwest Boulevard for a new jet ramp from the new KC 46 building (which will be built on the old BNSF rail yard that was recently acquired) and thus connecting to the existing taxi and runway system.

It is really hard to keep track of everything going on out there and there are a bunch of huge projects.
    Makes sense. There's a guard shack just north of 74th already because of the GM fence line. Only make sense that they start connecting the areas so planes can move between the structures. Not sure that it would affect anything that anyone would see though. They could really close it right at 74th and no one would be affected as there isn't anything out there anyway.

Great video by the MWC Chamber on the history of the base and the community that was built up around it.

14. Default Re: Tinker AFB

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...-2021-proposal

Not exclusively Tinker-related, but it's something that'll generate a degree of concern for OKC and perhaps Altus and Enid, as well. Although, with how much Tinker has grown and continues to grow, I suspect that the base is fairly safe. I'd bet that Uncle Sam likes the deal the Air Force has at the old GM plant.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    http://www.militarytimes.com/article...-2021-proposal

Not exclusively Tinker-related, but it's something that'll generate a degree of concern for OKC and perhaps Altus and Enid, as well. Although, with how much Tinker has grown and continues to grow, I suspect that the base is fairly safe. I'd bet that Uncle Sam likes the deal the Air Force has at the old GM plant.
    With all the money the Airforce has put into the new tanker program, I would say Tinker is safe.

^

There are so many things going on in and around Tinker it's very hard to understand and track it all.

And I see lots more big construction projects in the bidding queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

There are so many things going on in and around Tinker it's very hard to understand and track it all.

And I see lots more big construction projects in the bidding queue.
    Tinker is a machine. It sets OKC apart from many cities its size. What are some of these other projects in the pike? Living in Modwest City, near Tinker, I love seeing and hearing the progress going on there!

The surrounding communities really understand just how much Tinker brings to the area and have done a good job supporting development. Just getting them the GM plant has done wonders.

Tinker is nothing less than an economic juggernaut.

At the other end of town, the FAA and Hobby Lobby are other huge economic forces that generally fly under the radar.

21. Default Re: Tinker AFB

https://twitter.com/team_tinker/stat...184738816?s=21

I’m not sure what specifically this tweet is about, but it appears that Tinker will continue to expand. I’ve heard that the base may incorporate the annexed land to its east and thereby close Douglas Ave. I’ll have to do some research.

Edit: https://twitter.com/team_tinker/stat...528130560?s=21 Perhaps the two tweets are connected. I’m still digging.

HangryHippo Guest

https://twitter.com/team_tinker/stat...184738816?s=21

I’m not sure what specifically this tweet is about, but it appears that Tinker will continue to expand. I’ve heard that the base may incorporate the annexed land to its east and thereby close Douglas Ave. I’ll have to do some research.
    This tweet was part of a thread about the KC-46 Tanker Sustainment Campus, which is already under construction. I have no idea about closing Douglas Ave.

23. Default Re: Tinker AFB

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This tweet was part of a thread about the KC-46 Tanker Sustainment Campus, which is already under construction. I have no idea about closing Douglas Ave.
    The Douglas closing was just a rumor that’s been discussed among base personnel. The gist was that Tinker would incorporate into base proper the Reserve and communication facilities to the east. In doing so, it would close off Douglas. That’s the rumor, anyway.

Thanks for the quick response.

HangryHippo Guest

The Douglas closing was just a rumor that’s been discussed among base personnel. The gist was that Tinker would incorporate into base proper the Reserve and communication facilities to the east. In doing so, it would close off Douglas. That’s the rumor, anyway.

Thanks for the quick response.
    No problem. Closing Douglas, while it would suck for my avoiding Sooner, would make quite a bit of sense for the base.

Blog Entries

There are other bases I have been to in the past for work that are divided by roads that don't seem to cause an issue for those bases. Two examples off the top of my head are Davis-Monthan in Tuscon (Kolb Rd) and Wright-Patterson in Dayton (there's a highway between parts, don't remember which). Heck, in Montgomery, AL you have Maxwell AFB and Gunter Annex which are on opposite sides of town. Folks don't seem to mind.

Thread Information