Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinker AFB

Default Re: Tinker Job Loss...

this is not a done deal .. and might get some blow back in the house and senate ..

The military drawdown is terrible, our military is already stretched too thin, our equipment is getting used up and tired, this is a terrible decision.

As far as the civilian jobs are concerned, it's not a large percentage of those employed and can probably be handled with early retirements.

Quote Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
    The military drawdown is terrible, our military is already stretched too thin, our equipment is getting used up and tired, this is a terrible decision.

As far as the civilian jobs are concerned, it's not a large percentage of those employed and can probably be handled with early retirements.
    Of course the concern isn't just the immediate jobs that might be lost. Keep in mind that any of those people who might leave will affect other businesses that rely on them. It's a big trickle down effect.

And this is a positive spin on this by local officials.

http://newsok.com/midwest-city-chamb...rticle/3655599

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBeerMan View Post
    I think most Oklahomans don't realize how much federal government spending benefits the state, although some of that blame falls on local officials not telling people that this construction project was funded by federal money, or these jobs are here due to federal money. Heck, I gripe about federal spending but I love all the equipment that federal money buys us here at the lab I work at in the FAA. Frivolous spending is what most people complain about.
    FWIW there was a Washington Post article written during the budget crisis last spring that focused specifically on OKC and the amount of government jobs here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...AHD_story.html

In regards to Tinker, my heart certainly goes out to people who will lose their jobs. But considering the amount of defense cuts coming down the pike (including another round of BRAC) this was almost a given.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    FWIW there was a Washington Post article written during the budget crisis last spring that focused specifically on OKC and the amount of government jobs here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...AHD_story.html

In regards to Tinker, my heart certainly goes out to people who will lose their jobs. But considering the amount of defense cuts coming down the pike (including another round of BRAC) this was almost a given.
    This article reinforces the fact that Oklahoma in spite of all the Republican leadership harping on big spending, is a major beneficiary of big government spending (talk about two faced). I hate to say it but Oklahoma may need to experience large federal cuts to its job base to truly understand the impact the dispised federal goverment contributes to the Oklahoma economy. The truth is Oklahoma is not sufficiently diversified to stand economically w/o government support. Without big oil, Oklahoma would have no significant industrial base. I wish uber conservative Oklahomans would stand by their voting patterns and give back all those high paying government jobs and rely solely on the private sector.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    This article reinforces the fact that Oklahoma in spite of all the Republican leadership harping on big spending, is a major beneficiary of big government spending (talk about two faced). I hate to say it but Oklahoma may need to experience large federal cuts to its job base to truly understand the impact the dispised federal goverment contributes to the Oklahoma economy. The truth is Oklahoma is not sufficiently diversified to stand economically w/o government support. Without big oil, Oklahoma would have no significant industrial base. I wish uber conservative Oklahomans would stand by their voting patterns and give back all those high paying government jobs and rely solely on the private sector.
    finally, im glad to hear a fellow oklahoman who actually 'gets' it.

Everybody wants government spending cut unless it affects them personally or their immediate community.

The problem is, no matter where the cuts are made, it affects lots of people so the local politicians do their best to stop it from happening or getting the decisions reversed, which pleases their constituents and keeps them in office. No mater if this particular program is really needed, especially when compared to thousands of others.

Everybody harps on about budget cuts but no one is willing to make any sacrifice. It's a broken system spiraling out of control.

this is pretty much a surgical cut. an entire unit. it doesn't starve ongoing operations creating a hollow force.

best wishes to members of 3rd Herd. They will continue to do great work until they retire the unit.

9. Default Re: Tinker Job Loss...

If i remember right, it wasa only 177 civilian jobs too and they weren't sure how they would re-distribute the military positions. Not that anyone is happy about losing that many residents of OKC, but the light at the end of the tunnel is that at least the majority of those employed by this group are not losing their jobs and that less than 200 civilian local jobs will be effected. Just trying to keep some positive outlook on the grim reality.

10. Default Tinker AFB Water Towers

Anyone notice the giant arms and cables all around the water tower on Tinker? There's a giant cloth around the base. I guess it's being hoisted by the cables to cover the tower while they do maintenance.

Default Re: Tinker AFB Water Towers

They're more or likely painting them.

Default Re: Tinker AFB Water Towers

Like Soonerman said, They are painting the towers. They used the same setup when they painted the one on the base I was stationed on in Gulpfort, Ms. back in 1998.

Default Tinker Eyes Downsizing; Seeks early buy out for 750 blue collar jobs.

WASHINGTON — Tinker Air Force Base officials are hoping 750 blue-collar employees will accept buyouts this fall as the aircraft maintenance center tries to align its workforce with the workload.

Civilian workers targeted for the early retirement and voluntary separation programs began receiving notices early this month to gauge interest. The effective dates for those who accept are expected to be in October or November.
    This is the fourth round of buyouts at the base since 2011 but the first extended to mechanics and other “wage-grade” workers. The first three rounds resulted in about 210 early departures. Should base officials meet their goal this round, the state's largest single-site employer will have shed nearly 1,000 people in less than two years through buyouts.
    The survey of workers began just before they were scheduled to take the first of 11 furlough days that will cost them 20 percent of their pay through September.
    James Schmidt, the union representative for workers at the aircraft depot, said he thought the goal of 750 employees accepting the buyouts would be met. ...
    source: http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3862036

15. Default Rolls-Royce To Open Facility At Tinker Air Force Base

Rolls-Royce To Open Facility At Tinker Air Force Base
    Posted: Oct 02, 2013 11:10 AM CDT Updated: Oct 02, 2013 11:10 AM CDT

By Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY -
    Global power systems provider Rolls-Royce plans to open a new engine depot services facility at Tinker Air Force Base to support the Global Hawk unmanned aerial vehicle fleet.

The London-based company said Wednesday that the facility will be the first for Rolls-Royce at the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Complex. The company has received a $49 million contract to establish the new facility, which is expected to begin operations in 2015.

Paul Craig, president of Rolls-Royce's defense services, says the new facility will permit the company to deliver the latest advances in support, tooling and design at the heart of its customer's operation.

The service facility will be created in an existing building and include new support equipment, tooling, work stations, assembly platforms and modification of an existing test cell

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Rolls-Royce To Open Facility At Tinker Air Force Base

This sounds like a good win for the metro. Excellent news!

Excellent news, any word on how many jobs this may add?

What is the Rolls Royce building in Midwest City? What do they do specifically? I know I have seen one. I figured it was something to do with engines, just didn't know if they serviced them or sold them.

Rolls Royce is one of the larger aircraft engine manufacturers. Love a good 'roller'. Sounds like they will use this plant as a support facility for that engine platform. Perform upgrades as the technology advances. Most likely they will also overhaul those engines at this plant. Basically take them completely apart, repair and clean the engine, replace items that need to be replaced, and then return it to service as a refurbished engine.

Default Tinker AFB

Good new for new spending and ongoing missions at Tinker as well as Altus AFB.

Defense bill OKs more than $100 million for two Air Force bases in Oklahoma | News OK

Default Re: Tinker AFB

Tinker is a silent monster...

27,000 jobs not including Boeing and growing all the time.

They are also looking to acquire the huge rail yard that sits between the main base and the old GM plant.

I need to create a whole thread on this with aerials and such, because there is a ton going on there that few people know about.

Blog Entries

Please do (create a general Tinker thread). Surprised there isn't one already.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Tinker is a silent monster...

27,000 jobs not including Boeing and growing all the time.

They are also looking to acquire the huge rail yard that sits between the main base and the old GM plant.

I need to create a whole thread on this with aerials and such, because there is a ton going on there that few people know about.
    Just be careful about what you post and how specific. The Air Force takes their operation security (OPSEC) very seriously and wouldn't be thrilled about intimate details on the site. Sources and anonymous info is a different beast when it comes to national security (I'm sure you're well aware of all of this, just wanted to make sure it was in the open).

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Please do (create a general Tinker thread). Surprised there isn't one already.
    Actually, this is one.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    Just be careful about what you post and how specific. The Air Force takes their operation security (OPSEC) very seriously and wouldn't be thrilled about intimate details on the site. Sources and anonymous info is a different beast when it comes to national security (I'm sure you're well aware of all of this, just wanted to make sure it was in the open).
    Shucks, does that mean I can't post everything that Edward Snowden told me about?

Thread Information