Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinker AFB

1. Default Re: Tinker Bond Issue 2008

Wouldn't the tax payers techinically be paying twice for it? OK County buys it with tax money from this levy. Then they think they can turn around and sell it to the USAF...who gets their money from...the tax payers.

Only way this should fly...if deal can't be done with the USAF in a couple years, the city has the right to secure another auto maker or other company to take it over. Screw GM.

2. Default Re: Tinker Bond Issue 2008

I'm a little torn by this.. I as a tax payer don't want to foot the bill.. on the other hand, Tinker being our largest employer, and base closings still a real reality... i'd hate to see Tinker close and it be like in the 80's with the oil bust. So.. where should I look?

Thumbs down Re: Tinker Bond Issue 2008

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    I'm a little torn by this.. I as a tax payer don't want to foot the bill.. on the other hand, Tinker being our largest employer, and base closings still a real reality... i'd hate to see Tinker close and it be like in the 80's with the oil bust. So.. where should I look?
    Based on what I just learned from Commisioner Vaughn's office, vote NO!

The details of the lease are not final, nor will they be before the vote. The lease terms will be "low cost/low consideration" which I perceive to mean well below market value. If Tinker does not use the entire space they can sublet to others and Tinker will receive that rent money. I don't see Tinker charging below market value for any space they sublet.
    Summary: A BIG RIPOFF!!!!!

Default Re: Tinker Bond Issue 2008

Something tells me that this is all a move by GM to get out from under the property taxes on the property while also not having to sell to another auto maker.

I'll be voting "no" for the bond at the top of the ticket and yes for everything else. The courthouse is in dire need of help.

5. Default Re: Tinker Bond Issue 2008

I'm Voting NO!

Default Re: Tinker Vote tomorrow!

Seems like a no brainer to me...But I'm basing that solely on the Friends for Tinker ads running on tv

Honestly I don't really see a downside to it

8. Default Re: Tinker Vote tomorrow!

Anyone see the Tinker article in the OK Gazette? Apparently they are afraid of BRAC doing another closing and don't want Tinker to appear to be under utilizing the available space and have them shut down. The Air Force is also cutting down on cost since a lot of their money is being spent on operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm still voting hell NO on this one.

No!!!!! We'd be paying for an Oklahoma County cash cow.

I just can't see this happening....it seems like every 2 or 3 years, the tax payers have to do something to keep Tinker. I'm afraid the reasoning behind this one has not been explained enough to go forward with it.

11. Default Tinker Bond Vote Info

Tinker Bond Issue 2008
    Vote May 13, 2008

“The Board of County Commissioners of Oklahoma County has set a bond election on May 13, 2008, to ask the registered voters of Oklahoma County to vote regarding whether to approve bond issues which will allow the County of Oklahoma County, through the Board of County Commissioners, to do the following: Proposition I—issue bonds in the amount of 55 Million Dollars to purchase the GM facility and allow Tinker Air Force Base to lease the facility from the county with potential of transferring the property to the Air Force at some future time. Proposition II—issue bonds in the amount of 10.5 Million Dollars to provide necessary funds to renovate the plumbing, air conditioning, heating and other structural necessities in the Oklahoma County Courthouse. Proposition III—issue bonds in the amount of 5.75 Million Dollars to provide necessary storage space to retain and protect official records and documents which must be kept secure and protected in a facility large enough to kept current records and improve file access to such records. Proposition IV—issue bonds in the amount of 7.250 Million Dollars for the construction of a new facility for the Oklahoma County OSU Cooperative Extension Service in order to provide sufficient space for the numerous county programs offered through 4-H, Master Gardeners, Nutrition education, and other home, family and community education programs. Proposition V—issue bonds in the amount of 6 Million Dollars to alleviate flooding problems in the Northwestern and Central areas of Oklahoma County, which would also provide for flood control, wildfire prevention and other disaster relief projects throughout the County, with the ability to have the funds of this bond issue matched with federal monies to be applied to provide natural hazard and disaster mitigation, roads, bridges and drainage facilities in these specified areas in Oklahoma County.”

1. Tinker Air Force Base ($55M)
    2. County Courthouse Renovation ($10.5M)
    3. County Record Retention ($5.75M)
    4. County Cooperative Extension Service ($7.25M)
    5. Natural Hazard Mitigation and Flood Relief ($6M)

12. Default Re: Tinker Bond Vote Info

To make things easier, here is what I found on MarkShannon.com Home Page. It is up to you how you vote.

Tinker Head Says "NO" Again!!!!

Retired Lt. Gen. Richard Burpee "You're asking taxpayers to increase their taxes for 15 years to support something that is not required," Burpee said. (Newsok.com)

What else does a reasonable person have to hear than the words of the former Tinker base commander who led the facility successfully through the BRAC CLOSINGS?!

VOTE NO on Tuesday against the increases in your property taxes to do things that are not needed, and if you've read the ballot, MIGHT NEVER get done even if they get the money.

The ballot states that the money DOES NOT HAVE TO BE USED FOR PURCHASING GM. It can be used anyway they want to use it.

Where are the 16 mayors of Oklahoma County? If they really thought Tinker's future depended on it they would all be supporting, AND YET ALL BUT ONE REMAIN SILENT.

Mid-Del schools lose needed school taxes which will be lost if GM goes to TINKER. There's another tax increase that will be coming if you don't vote NO on Tuesday.

What this is about is a FAILED OKC CHAMBER OF COMMERCE who has done nothing to help economic development as far as bringing jobs to this city, and their failed leadership.

The same CHAMBER that is trying to make it easy for illegal aliens to stay in Oklahoma, driving down salaries and costing taxpayers millions to pay for their free medical care, including PRE-NATAL CARE for their children.

IF VOTERS WERE PAYING ATTENTION they would be MAD AS HELL and vote NO tomorrow and put an end to this tax grab.

Default Re: Tinker Bond Vote Info

Although I am an outsider and have no stake at all in this, I don't see how the County buying the GM building can be a good deal for Oklahoma City. If the Air Force needs it then they can lease it from GM. Why does Oklahoma County have to be involved at all? I suspect it is because the County plans to negotiate a lease way below market value or Tinker doesn't want the space at all and the money will be used else ware. If GM wants to get rid of the plant that bad then they should sell it to someone that can actually use it for its designed purpose, car manufacturing.

Why can't the Air Force just lease it from GM directly? Why does Oklahoma County need to be involved at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Why can't the Air Force just lease it from GM directly? Why does Oklahoma County need to be involved at all?
    Probably because someone or a group of people will make a ton of money off this deal. In the past this has happened a lot in OKC. Seems like all of the tax payers are funding a few peoples money machines...

They best example is the Gaylord's buying up a bunch of land in northing OKC...and the next thing you know there is a plan to build a new turnpike in north OKC...

and guess what...it was going to be built over Gaylord's land!...

Wow what great luck!

icemncmth, who do you propose is making money off this Tinker deal? It's owned by GM so GM is the winner here, especially since we help fund improvements to their property when they were here.

dupe thread

In case anyone is wondering how much this will raise property taxes you can go to the following chart. It gives examples for each proposition as well as total.

T.A.C. 2008 - Tinker Aerospace Complex

Basically for the ones saying they are voting NO to Tinker and YES to the other issues, it will raise property taxes about $5 for every $100,000 your house is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post

The same CHAMBER that is trying to make it easy for illegal aliens to stay in Oklahoma, driving down salaries and costing taxpayers millions to pay for their free medical care, including PRE-NATAL CARE for their children.

IF VOTERS WERE PAYING ATTENTION they would be MAD AS HELL and vote NO tomorrow and put an end to this tax grab.
    wow. it takes talent to turn a bond issue for the air force and into a racial issue. bravo mr. shannon, bravo.

not talent ... one track mind maybe, but not talent.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyincog View Post
    wow. it takes talent to turn a bond issue for the air force and into a racial issue. bravo mr. shannon, bravo.
    I don't see anything racist in his statement. Illegal immigrants don't necessarily have to be of a certain ethnicity or race. The problem with illegal immigration is the whole 'illegal' thing; I think that's the problem most Americans have with illegal immigrants.

Then again, it's the 'in-thing' to turn every issue into a racial subject.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

22. Default Re: Tinker Vote tomorrow!

Hum. So the ads say if the measure passes it WILL save Tinker from BRAC. It WILL create thousands of jobs. It WILL WILL WILL. Does this mean when those things don't happen, Oklahoma County residents can use to get their money back for being falsely informed? :-P

23. Default Re: Tinker Vote tomorrow!

I am afraid of BRAC nailing Tinker and OKC getting caught holding the bag on the GM thing.

Once again though...we have to pay for the facility, which may create the jobs, which will be paid for by us, as they are government jobs....I don't really see how we benefit here.

25. Default Re: Tinker Vote tomorrow!

Andrew Rice is doing robocalls...LOL!!!

Thread Information