Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinker AFB

1. Post Tinker Bond Issue 2008

Tinker Bond Issue 2008
    Vote May 13, 2008

“The Board of County Commissioners of Oklahoma County has set a bond election on May 13, 2008, to ask the registered voters of Oklahoma County to vote regarding whether to approve bond issues which will allow the County of Oklahoma County, through the Board of County Commissioners, to do the following: Proposition I—issue bonds in the amount of 55 Million Dollars to purchase the GM facility and allow Tinker Air Force Base to lease the facility from the county with potential of transferring the property to the Air Force at some future time. Proposition II—issue bonds in the amount of 10.5 Million Dollars to provide necessary funds to renovate the plumbing, air conditioning, heating and other structural necessities in the Oklahoma County Courthouse. Proposition III—issue bonds in the amount of 5.75 Million Dollars to provide necessary storage space to retain and protect official records and documents which must be kept secure and protected in a facility large enough to kept current records and improve file access to such records. Proposition IV—issue bonds in the amount of 7.250 Million Dollars for the construction of a new facility for the Oklahoma County OSU Cooperative Extension Service in order to provide sufficient space for the numerous county programs offered through 4-H, Master Gardeners, Nutrition education, and other home, family and community education programs. Proposition V—issue bonds in the amount of 6 Million Dollars to alleviate flooding problems in the Northwestern and Central areas of Oklahoma County, which would also provide for flood control, wildfire prevention and other disaster relief projects throughout the County, with the ability to have the funds of this bond issue matched with federal monies to be applied to provide natural hazard and disaster mitigation, roads, bridges and drainage facilities in these specified areas in Oklahoma County.”

1. Tinker Air Force Base ($55M)
    2. County Courthouse Renovation ($10.5M)
    3. County Record Retention ($5.75M)
    4. County Cooperative Extension Service ($7.25M)
    5. Natural Hazard Mitigation and Flood Relief ($6M)

Default Re: Tinker Bond Issue 2008

Item 1 is the only sticky point for me. If Oklahoma County is the landlord is the US Government going to pay near market value rent?
    If the arrangement is one of those "dollar a year" arrangements, who will receive the revenue if Tinker sublets part of the building/site to others?

Quote Originally Posted by NE Oasis View Post
    Item 1 is the only sticky point for me. If Oklahoma County is the landlord is the US Government going to pay near market value rent?
    If the arrangement is one of those "dollar a year" arrangements, who will receive the revenue if Tinker sublets part of the building/site to others?
    A good question that probably should have a good answer before you cast your vote.

What I find amusing and amazing at the same time is how often several items that have little if anything to do with the main issue and lumped into a large bond and shopped to the people for a vote. Why not just take the $55 million bond issue and make it fly solo? Is it because there is a sense that it won't pass on its own merits?

The courthouse renovation is desperately needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    The courthouse renovation is desperately needed.
    No doubt... so why is it lumped in with a $55 million issue that has nothing at all to do with it?

My point is supposed to be this. If the other issues are worthy of voting on in their own right and deserve our taxpayer's support, why not put them up as separate issues? That way, how can anyone say that an attempt to obfuscate or try the old 'end around' isn't being attempted?

Why doesn't the state do a state wide bond issue. WHy should only the residents of OKC pay for this.
    The employees of Tinker live all across the state but are most concentrated in the 5 county's around OKC.
    Why doesn't Norman and Cleveland county pony up???????

Norman certainly benefits from the salarys that are brought to their town.

7. Default Re: Tinker Bond Issue 2008

I think it may have to do with the actual property residing in OK County.

8. Default Re: Tinker Bond Issue 2008

And they're doing all these propositions at once because it's cheaper to have a single election than five of them. Each, by law, will have its own line on the ballot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    And they're doing all these propositions at once because it's cheaper to have a single election than five of them. Each, by law, will have its own line on the ballot anyway.
    Our Republican house has forgotten about this recently

Just calling for the vote is estimated to cost over $140,000.00. Who owns the land? Who is the real estate agent on the deal? I thought I heard one of the commanders say that he didn't think it was necessary?

I thought I heard one of the commanders say that he didn't think it was necessary?

You "thought you heard" . . .please. . . Who, What, When, Where. . .

12. Default Re: Tinker Bond Issue 2008

And I once thought I thaw a puddy tat, but that doesn't mean there was one.

Were I a county resident, I wouldn't have an issue voting in favor of any of the fiv e. I recognize some may differ ... tis why they put such things to a vote I suppose

14. Default Re: Tinker Bond Issue 2008

It would be a great deal for the base if they can get this done. There are alot of buildings on the base that need to be demolished. There is more than enough room at GM to house alot of the backshops and offices from the buildings that would be torn down.

It is 4,000,000 square feet on 430 acres. If the county can get it for $55 million it seems like a tremendous bargain to me.

Considering a practice facility costs 20 million , 4mil sf at this rate does seem a bit of a bargain

I doubt very much that a private investor could get it for $55 million. That's less than $14 per sf.

The old Western Electric plant has 1.8 million square feet on about 250 acres and it finally sold for $14 million. But it was a much older building and more difficult to utilize in my opinion.

The GM plant's location relative to Tinker makes a lot of difference, too.

If Tinker wants the building so bad, THEY can buy it. Why should tax payers foot the bill?

Pretty complicated and difficult to get the feds to do anything that's not already approved, budgeted, and authorized. And that's especially ture with military bases and especially right now.

There will be another round of base closings. It isn't such a bad thing to be proactive for once.

I personally prefer to get these bug projects under some kind of beneficial use as quickly as possible. I was happy to read last December that a company was buying the old Dayton Tire plant and converting it into an industrial park. Haven't heard how that effort is progressing but it is good in my opinion to have movement on these kinds of properties.

All things considered I think the GM redevelopment is a worthwhile project.

Flinty, I understand that a large part of that building has been converted to server space for some sort of online company.

Hadn't heard that.

That building was about 2.5 million sf on 300 acres and sold for $7.8 million.

22. Default Re: Tinker Bond Issue 2008

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Considering a practice facility costs 20 million , 4mil sf at this rate does seem a bit of a bargain
    Smokin' idea! Just put the practice facility in the old paint shop! They can get their rides pimped while they ballin'!

Corporate welfare.

If Tinker wants the building so bad, THEY can buy it. Why should tax payers foot the bill?
    That's what i don't understand, why does the county have to buy it, taxpayers flipping the bill, and then the county turns around and sells it? Why can't Tinker, or anybody else just buy it? I do not live in Oklahoma Co., so do not have a lot of say, if i did, i would vote no.

I'm voting No.

Thread Information