Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where is Oklahoma...................

Default Where is Oklahoma...................

I'm tired of arguing with people about where they consider Oklahoma to be at region wise. To me I consider Oklahoma a South/Southwestern state and culture wise as well, but lately I been talking to people who swear Oklahoma is a Midwestern state, some just consider us a outright Southern state. What do you guys think and what do you think others view Oklahoma outside the state.....................

Default Re: Where is Oklahoma...................

I consider Oklahoma an outright Southern state. It does have influences from other regions, be it the Midwest or Texas, but the predominant culture here is that of the upper South. Oklahoma has more in common with Tennessee in my opinion than it does with New Mexico. Geographically Oklahoma is a Great Plains state, yet is culturally more similar to Arkansas and southern Missouri than it is to Kansas or Nebraska.

For those who would say that Oklahoma isn't a Southern state, why would you say that and what does Oklahoma have or not have that separates it from the South?

I say what difference does it make?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I say what difference does it make?
    It's just for debating purposes I suppose

Oklahoma is what you make it to be. We straddle different regions and how you characterize it will ultimately depend on what part of the state you are in.

Some people have such a need for everything to be black and white and just can't accept the fact that OK is not easy to categorize. I find our diverse landscapes and cultures a unique and positive aspect of this state.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I consider Oklahoma an outright Southern state. It does have influences from other regions, be it the Midwest or Texas, but the predominant culture here is that of the upper South. Oklahoma has more in common with Tennessee in my opinion than it does with New Mexico. Geographically Oklahoma is a Great Plains state, yet is culturally more similar to Arkansas and southern Missouri than it is to Kansas or Nebraska.

For those who would say that Oklahoma isn't a Southern state, why would you say that and what does Oklahoma have or not have that separates it from the South?
    Maybe it was the parts of Kansas and Mississippi I was in but the times I have been in Kansas it felt much more like here than when I was in Mississippi.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Maybe it was the parts of Kansas and Mississippi I was in but the times I have been in Kansas it felt much more like here than when I was in Mississippi.
    That's why it's hard for me to call Oklahoma "southern", because throughout the 19 years of my life I've covered Mississippi top to bottom, side to side, town to town & Mississippi is my example of the south. No part of Oklahoma feels like Mississippi to me. Mississippi is almost unanimously considered deep south -- although the tips of northern Mississippi are usually categorized as mid-south -- so my viewpoint can't really be considered heavily since my roots are in the deep south & I haven't really seen much of the mid-south that Oklahoma is sometimes labeled as.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    That's why it's hard for me to call Oklahoma "southern", because throughout the 19 years of my life I've covered Mississippi top to bottom, side to side, town to town & Mississippi is my example of the south. No part of Oklahoma feels like Mississippi to me. Mississippi is almost unanimously considered deep south -- although the tips of northern Mississippi are usually categorized as mid-south -- so my viewpoint can't really be considered heavily since my roots are in the deep south & I haven't really seen much of the mid-south that Oklahoma is sometimes labeled as.
    As someone's who family is from Mississippi (dad's side is from Lee County), I agree. I can tell you most folks down there, while having a very positive opinion of Okies, don't consider us southerners. To them, Alabama and Louisiana are the brothers and sisters and Oklahoma and Kentucky are the distant cousins.

At its most basic root, OK is a plains and southern hybrid, but even that is rather simplistic. Don't underestimate the pretty divergent history of OK and the rest of the south and how its had an impact on the contemporary cultures of both.

No way do I think Oklahoma is a full on southern state either. As an African American myself, I've been to Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and Oklahoma is not in the same ballpark. Okies are GREAT compared to those states especially when it comes to race relations and southern pride. Not to say Oklahoma doesn't have some issues with race, but nothing as deep rooted as you get it the "deep south" and you definitely don't see confederate flags here hanging everywhere like you do in those states. Don't want to get all "race card" on this issue, but that's definitely why I feel Oklahoma has more Southwest culture feel, than a true Southern feel.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    ... To [Mississippi], Alabama and Louisiana are the brothers and sisters and Oklahoma and Kentucky are the distant cousins.
    Early 80's I ran a pizza outlet in south central AR for a spell. My asst. mgr. was a bright young lady wrapping up her senior year at a nearby university.
    One day I asked her what her plans after graduation were. Her response was that she really wanted to move up north somewhere. In response to me asking where up north, she said she wasn't certain yet, but Kentucky sounded nice.

I was amused, having myself never considered, or heard anyone else consider, Kentucky a northern state before that day.

11. Default Re: Where is Oklahoma...................

It's the heartland.... if you lived here when the Murrah building was bombed that was drilled into our concious from local to national news sources.

I think it's impossible to file Oklahoma under any general geographical area. Parts of it are like the South (think everything from Vian south and east) and other parts much more like Texas or Kansas. I suppose that the best--yet still inaccurate--summary might be Southern Midwest. Let's face it: Oklahoma is unique. It really is. And that's one reason that I'm glad it is my adopted home state. Oklahoma is also OK . . . That's what the license plates used to say, anyways, and I agree.

Prior to 1890, we received a steady stream of southerners from Arkansas, Miss , Alabama, and Georgia that settled in the eastern half of Oklahoma for farming & trading opportunities. During this time, we also had Ft. Sill / Ft. Cobb / Ft. Reno / Ft. Arbucle that brought in a "sprinkling" of others to the mix. During the cattle drives, many Texans came up and settled in the southern / western portions of Oklahoma and along the cattle trails (ie. Chisholm ) for ranching & farming opportunities.

We are a southern state in culture, our southern drawl, music, food, and our strong Christian heritage. We are very hospitable, and conservative.

We are south of the "slavery" line. We are west of the Mississippi and east of the Rockies. We are not a Midwestern state. We are South Central.

14. Default Re: Where is Oklahoma...................

All of the above.

The most accurate description IMO is Southern Great Plains.

To reference the Drive By Truckers I don't see Oklahomans instilled with "that southern thang". Especially compared to those that I have been around from places like rural Tennessee.

I grew up in Sulphur, Oklahoma. My in-laws are from Georgia. As far as my experience, I would classify Oklahoma more Southern in culture than anything.

This is from last year, but relevant:

South by Midwest: Or, Where is Oklahoma? | This Land Press

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    To reference the Drive By Truckers I don't see Oklahomans instilled with "that southern thang". Especially compared to those that I have been around from places like rural Tennessee.
    ...then those (drive by) truckers did not stop and speak w/ people and hear our drawl, eat our southern comfort food, our listen to our music. We are deeply rooted in the southern traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The most accurate description IMO is Southern Great Plains.
    This is what I tell people, and since I spent several years a professional geographer I'll take my word for it.

I also tell people if they think Oklahoma is flat they should try ridding a bicycle across it.

21. Default Re: Where is Oklahoma...................

You and I may be the only ones to get that reference...... On the other hand there were a lot of us that grew up understanding the whole Skynyrd thing in my highschool parking lot..... so maybe we are Southern.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    C. Vann Woodward is correct. If you look at the census record in 1900, you can see (very easily) that most everyone was from the southern states. And, they brought their "southern" culture, values, and Go to Church on Sundays ways.

My granddad's family came here from Kentucky and he was An Okie's Okie without any doubt.
    My grandmother's dad came here from Germany . . .
    Oklahoma is Diverse, from the people to the landscape, and not easily pigeonholed.
    And that, in my opinion, is a good thing.

Anyone who thinks Oklahoma is a "plains state" hasn't been down around Broken Bow or on up to Poteau.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    You and I may be the only ones to get that reference...... On the other hand there were a lot of us that grew up understanding the whole Skynyrd thing in my highschool parking lot..... so maybe we are Southern.
    Yeah, that may be a little too obscure lol but it was the best description of my point.

Yes we share many of the same traditions and customs as the south. But I think the difference is in the mindset. You don't see the hostility towards the north that you see in some southern old timers, the grudge that still exists towards "those northern aggressors".
    See also spursfan's comment. I've been told (as a white male, hadn't had to experience) that Okie racism is a less militant brand than the true south.

I've been told (as a white male, hadn't had to experience) that Okie racism is a less militant brand than the true south.
    Here's an Oklahoma Dichotomy for you: I remember, when visiting Oklahoma as a child (back in the late '50s and early '60s) that a lot of the guys who hung around my granddad's garage, way out on the east side, near Nicoma Park, were "of African American descent." Some of them seemed to be his best friends. Yet he always used "the N-word" apparently without any malice (or any obvious offense taken by those in his circle of friends). (Grandma preferred the term "Darkies"). Probably, they were friends with Granddad because he knew how to weld-up and repair stills--in addition to working on their cars. Right next door was a little Barber Shop. When I went in there, to chill for awhile with a soda pop and a comic book or magazine (they had a window unit air conditioner), it was like being at a meeting of a KKK Klavern/cell.

Thread Information