Widgets Magazine

Thread: The Patio by the Classen Circle

Default The Patio by the Classen Circle

Back in in the 1950/60's The Patio served a Caesar salad. Does anyone know the recipe for the Caesar dressing?

Default Re: The Patio by the Classen Circle

OUlefty,
    I wish I could help, but I can tell you how to make a Schnitzel. By the way, they closed in December, 1988.
    C. T.

I just did a little searching and December, 1988 is when they Eckles closed The Patio, it was re-opened with a new owner and was open till 2000. I don't think the menu was the same, but maybe somebody will let you know.
    C. T.

Done at tableside, in a wooden bowl: Smash a garlic clove into a teaspoon of salt, and spread it all over the inside of the bowl. Smash an anchovy, and add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard, a little olive oil, a raw egg, and some black pepper. Stir this all together well and add chopped romaine. Toss it around to pick up the dressing and garlic oils, and that is how it was done back in the day. PLEASE!!! SOMEONE CORRECT ME!!! if I've left something out, and be sure to go on and on about the raw egg being dangerous.

5. Default Re: The Patio by the Classen Circle

OMG! Raw egg??!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    OMG! Raw egg??!!?
    Thank you. That was quicker than I expected.

that looks like what i do but add to that a touch of worcestershire sauce and some freshly grated parmesan. -M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    that looks like what i do but add to that a touch of worcestershire sauce and some freshly grated parmesan. -M
    Right! The Parmesan and croutons are after the tossing to keep them from starting to "sog" early. I thought I might remember some Worcesterschire, but with the anchovy being a main ingredient of same, left it out.
    Maybe there was some lemon juice....?

didn't know that about worcestershire sauce... i've always just added both that and anchovy paste! i did forget about lemon juice, though... i typically squeeze half a lemon into the dressing. not sure if it's legit or not, but i grind some parmesan as part of the dressing itself and then shred some along with croutons as a topping.

ok... i'm getting hungry. -M

Thank all you for your input.

The lady who would like the recipe for "The Patio's" salad dressing ate their many times when she lived here. The following is her recollection of the dressing.
    THE PATIO in OKC did not serve an authentic caesar salad. They used very large pieces of lettuce and slathered it with a prepared dressing that looked very much like thick, smooth mayonnaise but had the most heavenly taste. I want the recipe for that dressing. Does some OKC cookbook HAVE it?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oulefty View Post
    Back in in the 1950/60's The Patio served a Caesar salad. Does anyone
    know the recipe for the Caesar dressing?
    I only know know the dressing was terrific. Once I discovered Dolores'
    Caesar Burger I didn't order anything else.

Where was this place? I've never heard of it.

^
    i'm sure you know the place by sight... it was at classen circle. -M

I guess I should have been more specific. Is it at the Drunken Fry location, Charlies Records, did it occupy the whole strip?

Remarkable painting by Greg Burns.

17. Default Re: The Patio by the Classen Circle

It's the Drunken Fry space. The upstairs is in disuse. In related news, the HiLo: still awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Head View Post
    Done at tableside, in a wooden bowl: Smash a garlic clove into a teaspoon of salt, and spread it all over the inside of the bowl. Smash an anchovy, and add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard, a little olive oil, a raw egg, and some black pepper. Stir this all together well and add chopped romaine. Toss it around to pick up the dressing and garlic oils, and that is how it was done back in the day. PLEASE!!! SOMEONE CORRECT ME!!! if I've left something out, and be sure to go on and on about the raw egg being dangerous.
    Last time I had a Caesar at Juniors...it was prepared this way also tableside in wooden bowl with the raw egg also

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It's the Drunken Fry space. The upstairs is in disuse. In related news,
    the HiLo: still awesome!
    Is the fountain still in the doorway of the HiLo?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Last time I had a Caesar at Juniors...it was prepared this way also tableside in wooden bowl with the raw egg also
    My sister in law worked at Juniors for years. She had to make these wonderful treats.

Thread Information