Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: Omni Hotel

Default Re: Convention Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I totally agree as well. Our convention facilities are outdated and are no longer viable. We need a facility that is truly a convention center. I have done trade shows around the country and they were all a major factor for those cities economic growth.
    Completely agree. The Cox Center is currently very sad compared to many other cities' convention centers. I would like to see something like Nashville's center get built here. Should Shadid get elected and if he derails the convention center, do you think its possible to retrofit the Cox Center?

Blog Entries

I don't see how. The biggest problem is a lack of large enough contiguous space, and the arena being right there in the middle kinda kills the opportunity for such space.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Completely agree. The Cox Center is currently very sad compared to many other cities' convention centers. I would like to see something like Nashville's center get built here. Should Shadid get elected and if he derails the convention center, do you think its possible to retrofit the Cox Center?
    Not without closing it and getting rid of the arena...basically rebuilding the whole thing. Quality wise, I think the cox is ok (at least in the ball rooms), but quantity is where we have issues. The Cox meeting rooms/ball rooms are actually pretty nice, but are more like what you would find as part of a larger convention center or part of a hotel (embassy suites in norman comes to mind). The small exhibit floor space, lack of much more of those ball/meeting rooms, and lack of a large convention center hotel are the main issues that put us behind other cities.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Only Omni I have stayed in was in Baltimore, several, several years back.
    If I've ever stayed somewhere nicer, I had way too much fun to actually remember anything about the place.
    I've stayed in the Ft Worth Omni and like it a lot. The condos in the tower are very nice and I like the look of the tower better than the hotel base.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I've stayed in the Ft Worth Omni and like it a lot. The condos in the tower are very nice and I like the look of the tower better than the hotel base.
    I stayed there back in 2011. My girlfriend (ex) and I went out to the roof patio/pool/bar and were on the very southeast corner smoking away from others. I snapped this pic:

Downtown OKC should have something like this!

The 22 story convention hotel proposed by the owners of the Skirvin a couple years ago is looking good right about now...

7. Default Re: Convention Hotel

If it actually was really doable... keep in mind, there's no assurance they wouldn't have needed public financing as well.

Blog Entries

I really liked the Skirvin proposal, but only with the convention center on the bricktown parking lot, even if it required some public funding.

The Skirvin expansion wouldn't have really brought much more stock online

I can't find the link for this in the Gazette. The story is on Facebook and I copied the intro. Ed's expanding his friend group, I guess:

A petition has been filed to halt funding for a new hotel and convention center in downtown Oklahoma City, which would cost an estimated $250 million in MAPS 3 funding.

12. Default Re: Convention Hotel

What a clown.

Ed seems to want OKC to return to the mediocrity of the 1980s. It really wouldn't be hard to do. What are the chances the entire convention center gets derailed?

Anyone else see the irony of Ed having his anti-Convention Center teach-in at the Bricktown Hotel? Has anyone seen that dump? I'm envisioning fired up anti-Convention Center Hotel folks rolling up and coming away with a very different opinion than Ed is trying to foster.

If he didn't care enough to vote for or against MAPS, it's clear he doesn't understand what MAPS has done or didn't care enough about OKC to even voice an opinion. If you can't see what it's done, you can't see where we've come from. Again, it shows a disconnect from OKC past, present and future.

16. Default Re: Convention Hotel

I assumed this would resonate positively with the many on this board who have been very anti-CC in the past?

I think it's very easy to be persuaded on the convention center when you look at the facts. When I first heard about it I wasn't so sure it was a good idea, then after doing research discovered it was a slam dunk and likely the most important of the MAPS3 projects. The truth is, the Cox Center is a convention center appropriate for a city the size of Little Rock or Wichita. OKC will never get the big name conventions it would get with a real convention center. Take a look at convention centers in other cities OKC's size or a bit larger, compare them to the Cox Center, and then try to make the case OKC doesn't need a new convention center. Conventions bring in lots of money as well as exposure to both tourists and businesses alike. The convention center will more than pay for itself if it gets built. Does anybody really think the Cox Center will still be enough in 20 years, considering OKC growth remains strong?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I assumed this would resonate positively with the many on this board who have been very anti-CC in the past?
    I was against the convention center being included in MAPS 3. I don't like its location. But there are people who voted for the convention center primarily when they voted for MAPS 3 and they deserve to get what they thought they were voting for. As I've said, when you ask the people for their approval, you have moved from representative to direct democracy. So, the elected representatives gave up their authority to decide they know better. But, of course, the people pay for a new election. Maybe the person who starts the petition should have to foot the bill.

When is the next councilman election? Someone needs to run against Shadid and oust him out of his position...he's useless...

Blog Entries

Just curious, is there even a recall process in OKC?

21. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Just curious, is there even a recall process in OKC?
    Yes: City of Oklahoma City | Council Election Cycle

Ed is an anathema to anything he supports. Good or bad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Ah, so we can't have a recall because if the mayor issued a proclamation for recall of the ward 2 councilor (even if valid) it would be construed as an attack on his competition for mayor (even if it wasn't).

24. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Section 1. Elective Officers May be Removed by Recall.permanent link to this piece of content

The holder of any elective office may be removed at any time after six months from the date of his accession to said office by the electors qualified to vote for the election of a successor to such incumbent, in the following manner:

Thirty-five per cent of the qualified electors of the area from which the incumbent was elected as shown by the County registration records at the time the petitions are filed must file with the City Clerk petitions demanding the election of a successor to the person sought to be removed; provided, that said petitions, within 60 days of the commencement thereof, and the filing of the affidavits required, shall be filed with the City Clerk, and each and all of them contain in the heading thereof the reason for said recall in not more than 200 words, and the reasons against such recall in not more than 200 words.

(Charter, 3-14-11; am. 4-2-57)

Section 2. Petition for Recall.permanent link to this piece of content

No petition shall contain more than 100 names, and each name shall be followed by the address of the petitioner; and at least one of the signers of each petition shall make affidavit that the reasons for recall stated, he believes, are true; that each signature to said petition is genuine and made after each reading the petition; that same was circulated and signed within 60 days, and that each signer thereof, he believes, is a qualified elector of the City.

(Charter, 3-14-11)

Section 3. Duties of City Clerk Affecting Recall.permanent link to this piece of content

Within 30 days from the date of filing such petitions the City Clerk shall ascertain whether a sufficient total number of qualified signatures appear by checking the same with the last registration list, and, if sufficient, he shall certify such fact to the Council. Upon proper certification from the City Clerk that a sufficient petition has been filed, it shall be the duty of the Council to order and fix a date for holding said election petitioned for, not less than 20 nor more than 30 days from the date of the Clerk's certificate. If the petition is found insufficient, no further recall proceedings may be instituted against said official within 12 months from the date of the Clerk's certificate.

Section 4. Election—How Conducted.permanent link to this piece of content

Said election shall be called and conducted, and the result declared in all respects as other City elections. The successor of any officer so recalled or removed shall hold office during the unexpired term of his predecessor.

Section 5. Affidavit of Petitioners.permanent link to this piece of content

Before any petition for the recall of an officer is circulated for signatures thereto, an affidavit in triplicate shall be made by a person or persons representing at least 100 qualified electors, who shall be named in the affidavit and filed with the City Clerk, proposing such recall and setting forth a statement in not more than 200 words giving the grounds therefor. One of such affidavits shall be sent by registered mail to the residence address of the officer sought to be recalled, and the said officer shall have five days after the filing of such affidavit to formulate and deliver to the person or persons making the affidavit a statement in not more than 200 words setting forth the reasons justifying said officer's conduct. These reasons for and against the recall of said officer shall be printed in the heading of each petition circulated; provided, that if no reason against the recall is submitted by the said officer, the petition shall be valid if otherwise conforming to the provisions hereof.

Section 6. Who May Be Candidates.permanent link to this piece of content

Any person sought to be removed may be a candidate to succeed himself, and no one may be a candidate for the office until he shall qualify in the same manner as candidates before an official primary election. In any such recall election, the candidate receiving the highest number of votes shall be declared elected. If at such election some person other than the incumbent receives the highest number of votes, the said incumbent shall be deemed to have been removed and shall vacate the office from the declaration of the result. If the incumbent receives the highest number of votes he shall continue in office, and no subsequent petition for recall of said officer may be entertained during the remainder of his term of office.

Section 7. Recalled Officer Ineligible for Appointment.permanent link to this piece of content

No person who has been removed from an office by recall, or who has resigned from such office while recall proceedings were pending against him, shall be appointed to any office or employment under the City Government within one year after such removal by recall or resignation.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I think it's very easy to be persuaded on the convention center when you look at the facts. ...
    I don't want to derail the thread, but if you look at the facts it is far from being a "slam dunk". Details are being sent thru a PM

Thread Information