Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
I'm not a naysayer, I'm just kind of playing devil's advocate with this question. Are conventions and trade shows still as big of a deal as they were in the 90s? I know trade shows like the Consumer Electronics Show have been downsizing and I'm just wondering if that's the trend now or if it's just a few select conventions.
Not as big a deal. But people still have them.

For many (perhaps most) of them, OKC is immediately struck from the list of candidates. That's because we don't have a convention facility that is adequate for a city our size -- and for our ambitions. And while I agree it is likely the "windfall" predicted by convention center advocates is overstated, I see no way this convention center doesn't pay for itself within a few years. The money convention visitors spend is significant and well documented. If you do not work in an industry that caters to convention visitors, I can understand why you may be unaware of the impact these visitors have on our economy, and our SALES TAX, which is the primary way our city collects revenues for police, fire, parks, and myriad other services.

So, in summary, while I chuckle when the convention center is described as the "crown jewel" of MAPS 3, it will be a significant driver of revenues going forward, will enhance our city's image, and will serve both our citizens and new visitors well.