Widgets Magazine
Page 96 of 103 FirstFirst ... 46919293949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 2561

Thread: Omni Hotel

Default Re: Omni Hotel

This will look really good. Just imagine if the Omni was twice as tall and had residential units on the top.

I was holding out hope that Omni would surprise us & have LED elements on most of the windows. It looks good, but of all Omni properties I can think of the one we got is on the very bottom.

I like what we got, but I would have to admit it doesn't really compare to the design of the Dallas Omni.

DFW is the 4th largest metro area in the U.S.; OKC is 41st.

We really need to stop comparing ourselves to them.

For how much money the tax payers gave to Omni, the city should have pushed for some residential on top. I imagine units there would not really have any comparison to anywhere else in the city except for maybe First National Center. I would love to live in a location like that, you basically have a $140 million frontyard in Scissortail Park.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    For how much money the tax payers gave to Omni, the city should have pushed for some residential on top. I imagine units there would not really have any comparison to anywhere else in the city except for maybe First National Center. I would love to live in a location like that, you basically have a $140 million frontyard in Scissortail Park.
    I am sure lots of people might like to live there, but would you pay the cost? I don't think that people paying $1 million plus for a flat would want to be next to the convention center. More likely they would want to have a place on the west edge of the park away from the tourists.

I like the OKC design much better than the Dallas property. I’ve always thought the Dallas layout was strange being massively set back from the street with a large valet road in the front and parking garage behind. It has no street interaction and isn’t at all inviting for pedestrians. I’d love to see the okc Omni be a little taller and have some more LED lights but the Dallas location doesn’t blow this out of the water by any means imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    The Omni's in Fort Worth and Louisville included condos...agree this would've been a nice addition and would've made it taller/more skyline-defining

The Dallas Omni is way prettier for sure. It would be much nicer if this were taller and had more than exterior accent lighting.

Not everything is going to be skyline defining. Sometimes you just need things to fill in the gaps. With the Boulevard Place apartments going in right next door to the Omni, I think the whole Convention Center side of the park is going to be a big success. Could we have asked for bigger and taller? Sure, but that would require more tax money.

I feel quite certain that OKC will be able to keep this hotel really full. If you go adding on 10 more floors of condos and more hotel rooms, you bring on a lot more risk.

yes its not taller, doesn't have residential, it's not a LED disco ball like Dallas. I agree with Pete we really need to stop comparing to Dallas. I thought this morning driving to work with the LED lighting on it looked nice and visible on the highway from a good distance. looks great right on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The Omni's in Fort Worth and Louisville included condos...agree this would've been a nice addition and would've made it taller/more skyline-defining
    Condos may have helped with lower overhead and/or fixed costs. Not sure if condos were evaluated though as being feasible for the OKC project.

13. Default Re: Omni Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Southsider2 View Post
    too short to be seen IMO, unless you're right there at the park, cc, or arena.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

14. Default Re: Omni Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    Condos may have helped with lower overhead and/or fixed costs. Not sure if condos were evaluated though as being feasible for the OKC project.
    I'm CERTAIN they weren't. Because if they were evaluated, they would have been included. OKC has a pent-up demand for downtown highrise living. The market may not be bulging out of the seams but it would have been there for 5-20 units - even with the NBA players and other successful URBAN youth moving to OKC from other cities. Along with that, the size of the hotel WILL come back to haunt us; should have been built at the consultant recommended 750 rooms given we gave them $85M+ in public funds but as always OKC overpromises/underperforms even what CONSULTANTS tell us.

If built to 750 rooms, the building would have been 20 floors on the same footprint (much more appropriate, 3 more floors). Add on the condos (3 floors) and you have a skyline-defining 23-floor (320 ft) building - same size as Valliance bank I think.

Now imagine THAT at this spot, along with the Boulevard apartments. 3-6 more floors is all it would have took. Should def have been 20 floors/750 rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I'm CERTAIN they weren't. Because if they were evaluated, they would have been included. OKC has a pent-up demand for downtown highrise living. The market may not be bulging out of the seams but it would have been there for 5-20 units - even with the NBA players and other successful URBAN youth moving to OKC from other cities. Along with that, the size of the hotel WILL come back to haunt us; should have been built at the consultant recommended 750 rooms given we gave them $85M+ in public funds but as always OKC overpromises/underperforms even what CONSULTANTS tell us.

If built to 750 rooms, the building would have been 20 floors on the same footprint (much more appropriate, 3 more floors). Add on the condos (3 floors) and you have a skyline-defining 23-floor (320 ft) building - same size as Valliance bank I think.

Now imagine THAT at this spot, along with the Boulevard apartments. 3-6 more floors is all it would have took. Should def have been 20 floors/750 rooms.
    while most what you said is true the optics of public money going to very high dollar condos was a non starter for several on the council and in the city govt

Looking across 4th from the convention center:

Corner coffee shop:

Inside coffee shop:

The space for Bob's Steakhouse -- not sure if they are finishing the inside; maybe not:

2-level corner sports bar with patio:

Inside sports bar:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    while most what you said is true the optics of public money going to very high dollar condos was a non starter for several on the council and in the city govt
    Please share with us the demand forecasts, price elasticity of the rooms, and the future budgets that show the need for additional rooms or the demand and return on condo sales at that location. Omni doesn’t pass on an opportunity to make more money and the city loves to add things that make the city look good... so what knowledge do you have they don’t?

Many of us would love to add a lot of tall buildings to the skyline for aesthetic or ego reasons, but the financial cases don’t exist to justify it and the real world runs on actual analysis of risk reward, supply and demand. Banks don’t loan on the height of a building or how cool it looks.

This Omni is an appropriate and very good addition to downtown. If it goes well over the next few years maybe we get that ego tower on the Cox site. But we have to prove it out first.

18. Default Re: Omni Hotel

I can see myself spending a lot of time (and money) at the sports bar before and after Thunder games.

Does the artificial turf have a purpose or is it simply landscaping?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    Does the artificial turf have a purpose or is it simply landscaping?
    It's a putting green.

⬆⬆ I'm assuming it's artificial turn, I guess it could be real.

It's fake grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's fake grass.
    It's still nice to know they have some variance on the rooftop deck. What I would like to know is if it would be available to visitors as well as customers. Something like that would remind me of a club called RIO over in Austin, Texas.
    If there was something similar to this here in OKC, the nightlife would change dramatically. It would bring out a younger crowd too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	venue-260929.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	16547

still maintain the pool should be in oklahoma shape

25. Default Re: Omni Hotel

agreed

Thread Information