Page 56 of 103 FirstFirst ... 65152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2561

Thread: Omni Hotel

Default Re: Convention Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Very well stated, Hot Rod!

Cities are faced with competition and recognition as:

Charlotte (2,426,363) competes with Atlanta (5,710,795)--225 miles
    Louisville (1,278,413) competes with Cincinnati (2,157,719) & Indianapolis (1,988,817)--100 miles.
    Portland (2,389,228) competes with Seattle (3,733,580)--145 miles.

Oklahoma City (1,358,452) competes with Dallas-Ft. Worth (7,102,796)--190 miles.

Which city has the biggest obstacle to overcome?
    Louisville?

Seattle, Cincinnati, Dallas, and Atlanta punch below their weight for conventions.

The cities that attract the most conventions are Las Vegas, Orlando, Chicago, Indianapolis, San Diego, DC, Boston, Denver, Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, Salt Lake, Houston, Nashville, Savannah, and Charleston.

Indy is the only one that isn't coastal or mountains. What does it say that Cincinnati and Dallas haven't been able to break through (I think the arms race in Texas has really led to a 5-way tie, with Houston having slight advantage)?

The convention business is tough bc it's not rational. Conferences are typically seeking to provide a fun outlet and relieve the monotony of business. The people making these location decisions are usually incredibly vapid.

3. Default Re: Convention Hotel

^^^^^^^
    You deal with a lot of convention planners? Vapid isn't how I'd describe the dozens I've dealt with over the years.

Not sure how Chicago qualifies as coastal or mountains..? You forgot New Orleans, which is first tier. Phoenix also does well. I think your info on Dallas is dated; it is top ten in attendance and highly-rated by planners. Same with Atlanta. In both cases this is likely due to facilities and easy flights, as both cities deviate from the standard model of having a wealth of nearby walkable amenities. Houston and Austin are both top 20 cities. And San Antonio - which you don't mention by name - is a convention monster.

And one of the main reasons San Antonio and New Orleans and the other high-performing cities you mention do so well is the same reason OKC will likely burst into the second tier with its new facility; almost all of them have tons of rooms and amenities with a 10 minute walkability bubble of their convention facility. We will have some challenges until the area around the cc develops, but with so many hotel rooms and dining options just beyond a ten minute walk we should still fare well.

What it really boils down to is that for a city to do relatively well it must have some combination of:

1. Walkable rooms and amenities near facilities (we fare better than average here)
    2. Lots of relatively inexpensive rooms available (we kill in this regard)
    3. Easy-to-reach destination (we are fair-poor for flights but as good as anyone in the country when it comes to interstate connections)

Overall we set up to be a very competitive city that should perform well - especially for regional events - with new facilities. Will we ever be first tier? Of course not, nor are we trying to be. But our pursuit of this business is definitely worthwhile.

I actually did mention New Orleans directly, and have been to a conference there. San Antonio does great for a smaller metro but it isn't competitive at the top, though they do have a lot of other draws that support their large hospitality industry. Chicago is one of the most waterfront-centric cities in the US, which is really an incredible setting in the summer. I'd argue that the criteria of walkable amenities and plentiful hotel rooms applies to about 50 cities in the US and most of Canada and Europe. Re: travel, nobody is driving to a convention unless there aren't flights.

There are a lot of cities that have invested a lot into their convention capacity. Nashville and Cleveland have made huge investments. St. Louis made a huge investment that led to a public default. OKC is not capable of making the same caliber investment as these cities, which have experienced mixed results.

I'm afraid that the investment we ARE making is in excess of the results we could reasonably expect. I don't actually mind cities that blow money on facilities, but the only reason why I mind so much is that in OKC it is directly at the expense of transit. These other cities already have transit, so they have the leeway with public spending priorities that OKC seems to think it has?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    There are a lot of cities that have invested a lot into their convention capacity. Nashville and Cleveland have made huge investments. St. Louis made a huge investment that led to a public default. OKC is not capable of making the same caliber investment as these cities, which have experienced mixed results.
    Again, we're not on the same caliber as Nashville, Cleveland, St. Louis or Las Vegas, a city really making giant strides with growth in the convention & trade show industry.

What we do know at this point, OKC is taking a conservative approach toward getting the convention center jump started--with room for future expansion. Begin with a 600 room hotel; if need, a second 200-300 room hotel could be added.

There's potential for OKC to grow as a viable convention center destination.

Let's see how things work; then look at where we can improve in this area.

Top 50 convention cities for 2016:

http://www.cvent.com/en/supplier-net...tions-us.shtml

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DenverPoke View Post
    Thanks, DenverPoke:

Good reputable list with some cities in our region like 8. Dallas, 10. New Orleans, 12 Denver, 24.
    Grapevine, 33. Fort Worth & 41. Irving, TX.

Our Goal - 10 year plan:

Oklahoma City's goal should be to become one of the top 50 convention cities by 2021 & Top 40 by 2026.

Thanks, DenverPoke:

Good reputable list with some cities in our region like 8. Dallas, 10. New Orleans, 12 Denver, 24.
    Grapevine, 33. Fort Worth & 41. Irving, TX.

Our Goal - 10 year plan:

Oklahoma City's goal should be to become one of the top 50 convention cities by 2021 & Top 40 by 2026.
    Top 40 is a good goal and OKC will need a bunch more Hotels in the downtown area for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Totally disagree. The real opportunity of 40+ story towers in OKC is very clearly almost non existent. In order for the downtown to truly grow, it has to be able to draw people and events to it. It's pretty evident that funding 4+ story buildings in the city isn't TOO difficult. But, apparently, funding anything over say, 12 stories, is pretty difficult. No one seems to want to pull the trigger on true high rises except Devon. And I get that, its not an easy thing to drop that sort of money.

I guess what I'm saying is, whatever scale you want to use, OKC is a pretty mid/average tier American city. And that's fine for some. But i, personally, want better. I want a future NBA All-Star game here. I want an MLS or NHL team here. I want tourists. Building a bunch of 10 story buildings isnt going to impress anyone except for the people that activly read this forum. At current, I would take 4-5 40+ story towers 1000 times out of 1000 in downtown over 20 10ish story midrises in OKC.

I feel with the size of OKC, smaller midrises aren't going to be all the difficult to build/fund at current and in the future in OKC. But, how often will a true high rise opportunity present itself in downtown OKC? 10 story buildings don't bring big new job opportunities or All-Star games to OKC. High Rises do. There is also the cosmetic appeal and marketability of the city with more high rises. To me, you just cannot pass up high rises in this city for lesser quality mid rises. The opportunity to build mid rises will always be easier and more abundant than the opportunity to build a high rise.
    If I'm reading your post correctly, your two main points are:
    1. It's hard to finance towers so businesses/the city in OKC should pursue that over mid-rise projects that are more likely to get financed.
    2. Great cities are defined by building height and mid-tier cities are defined by their lack of building height. Tall buildings lead to more events like all-star games.

To your first point, I just want to point out there are crappy skyscrapers and amazing mid-rises - I just want to avoid the false quantity (height) equals quality notion. Beyond that, I don't really see how something being hard to finance makes it more desireable.

To your second point, many of the best cities in the United States and the world purposely do NOT have tall skylines, but instead have dense, walkable developments. The host of the all-star game this season is New Orleans -- a city defined by walkability and density, not height. But there a tons of other examples -- from Portland to most all European cities -- of cities where mixed use mid-rise density takes precedence over skycrapers. People get over the skyscrapers pretty quickly, but they keep coming back for vibrant neighborhoods with local businesses and active streets. I bet more visitors mention liking Bricktown (or the Plaza District or Midtown...) because of their experiences they had in the district than just looking at the Devon tower.

In the end, I'm not saying OKC should ban skycrapers (although I don't think it's a terrible idea), but not worry about them... the 4-6 story developments are what will really change OKC. Just think about how the new residential development will transform Film Row from a dead area into a neighborhood; Or how the Steelyard will transform east Bricktown. Both will have more of an impact on how OKC is perceived than the new tower going up IMHO. Most towers just serve as spaces for workers from 9-5pm and then are dead afterward... Give me mixed use mid-rises all day (and, of couse, towers can be mixed use too, but they tend to do it worse).

Anyway, my point is, I don't care about the height of the Convention Center. I just see the quality of the design and how it actively interacts with the park as much more important. That's what convention go-ers will remember and be impressed by...

10. Default Re: Convention Hotel

^^^^^
    Yup.

I like to think about a place such as Boston when conversations like this start up. They do have a few high rises, but a majority of people will associate their experiences with the dense, urban areas around Longwood and Cambridge.

Blog Entries

Second hotel on the Convention Center site?

Deal set to revive hotel development next to new convention center:

A deal set to be heard Wednesday by the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority will allow development to being again on a Fairfield Inn in the area known as Core to Shore. Developer Andy Patel said upgrades will be made to the hotel, including a possible change in brands. [Drawing provided]

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 | by Steve Lackmeyer

Tulsa hotelier Andy Patel is getting a second shot at building the first hotel in the area known as Core to Shore as part of deal for him to sell his original site to the city for construction of a new convention center.

Patel, who is also working on plans for a hotel in Bricktown, bought a one-story warehouse at 5 SW 5 for $1.25 million in April 2014 when the city was attempting to acquire land south of the Myriad Gardens for the $283 million convention center.

He cleared the site and completed designs that won accolades from the Downtown Design Review Committee. Then plans for the convention center changed.

“We were ready to start construction,” Patel said Monday.

Instead of just asking, backed up the power of eminent domain, to acquire the Patel property, Urban Renewal Director Cathy O'Connor started talks with Patel on how best to help him continue on a nearby site.

The deal awaiting approval by Urban Renewal Commissioners would sell Patel city-owned land at the southwest corner of SW 5 and E.K. Gaylord — immediately south of the Convention Center.

“We see this as a win-win for the city that allows us to buy the property needed for the convention center while being able to sell of a piece of our property so he can move ahead with his project,” O'Connor said.

The development deal, if approved, would require Patel to submit his plans again to the Downtown Design Review Committee and also present them for approval by the Urban Renewal Authority.

“We're looking into whether we can do a more upscale hotel,” Patel said. “It will be the same size. The design will likely be very similar, though there can be changes with a different brand. We will be adding a nice upscale bar and food and beverage no matter what brand we go with. There also will be a bigger lobby.”

If the hotel remains a Fairfield Inn, it won't be a typical Fairfield but rather similar to an upscale version built in downtown Nashville, Patel said.

Patel is not certain when construction might start. Construction is expected to start by late 2017 on the convention center, a proposed Omni headquarters hotel and garage.

“I still have to do some redesign for approval,” Patel said. “I'll be at the mercy of my architects.”
    What is Core to Shore?

Core to Shore is a master plan drawn up by the city that seeks to redevelop more than 1,300 acres between the shore of the Oklahoma River to the core of downtown Oklahoma City. The area was blighted for years, but became a priority after a barrier between the area and downtown disappeared with the relocation of Interstate 40. Much of the city’s efforts are current focused on the area between Walker Avenue, E.K. Gaylord Boulevard, the new Interstate 40 and the future downtown boulevard.

Blog Entries

If this development has at least 100 - 135 rooms; coupled with the new 600-plus room Omni convention hotel, OKC will have close the original study for approximately 735 rooms on the convention center site.

Fairfield Inn & Suites Nashville Downtown/The Gulch

Might be similar to the Aloft which has 130 rooms.

Not enough stories. They need to add at least 10 stories, with five of them being residential, and three of them being shops. And a pony.

Woo hoo! First!

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Not enough stories. They need to add at least 10 stories, with five of them being residential, and three of them being shops. And a pony.

Woo hoo! First!
    I wanted to be the first one to say that!

Second hotel on the Convention Center site?

Deal set to revive hotel development next to new convention center:

A deal set to be heard Wednesday by the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority will allow development to being again on a Fairfield Inn in the area known as Core to Shore. Developer Andy Patel said upgrades will be made to the hotel, including a possible change in brands. [Drawing provided]

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 | by Steve Lackmeyer

Tulsa hotelier Andy Patel is getting a second shot at building the first hotel in the area known as Core to Shore as part of deal for him to sell his original site to the city for construction of a new convention center.

Patel, who is also working on plans for a hotel in Bricktown, bought a one-story warehouse at 5 SW 5 for $1.25 million in April 2014 when the city was attempting to acquire land south of the Myriad Gardens for the $283 million convention center.

He cleared the site and completed designs that won accolades from the Downtown Design Review Committee. Then plans for the convention center changed.

“We were ready to start construction,” Patel said Monday.

Instead of just asking, backed up the power of eminent domain, to acquire the Patel property, Urban Renewal Director Cathy O'Connor started talks with Patel on how best to help him continue on a nearby site.

The deal awaiting approval by Urban Renewal Commissioners would sell Patel city-owned land at the southwest corner of SW 5 and E.K. Gaylord — immediately south of the Convention Center.

“We see this as a win-win for the city that allows us to buy the property needed for the convention center while being able to sell of a piece of our property so he can move ahead with his project,” O'Connor said.

The development deal, if approved, would require Patel to submit his plans again to the Downtown Design Review Committee and also present them for approval by the Urban Renewal Authority.

“We're looking into whether we can do a more upscale hotel,” Patel said. “It will be the same size. The design will likely be very similar, though there can be changes with a different brand. We will be adding a nice upscale bar and food and beverage no matter what brand we go with. There also will be a bigger lobby.”

If the hotel remains a Fairfield Inn, it won't be a typical Fairfield but rather similar to an upscale version built in downtown Nashville, Patel said.

Patel is not certain when construction might start. Construction is expected to start by late 2017 on the convention center, a proposed Omni headquarters hotel and garage.

What is Core to Shore?

Core to Shore is a master plan drawn up by the city that seeks to redevelop more than 1,300 acres between the shore of the Oklahoma River to the core of downtown Oklahoma City. The area was blighted for years, but became a priority after a barrier between the area and downtown disappeared with the relocation of Interstate 40. Much of the city’s efforts are current focused on the area between Walker Avenue, E.K. Gaylord Boulevard, the new Interstate 40 and the future downtown boulevard.
    Laramie, Steve has previously requested that we only post a link to his articles along with a small excerpt. He does not want his complete articles posted.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post

Woo hoo! First!
    Only a pony? Smart negotiators go for a unicorn...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Laramie, Steve has previously requested that we only post a link to his articles along with a small excerpt. He does not want his complete articles posted.
    Thanks for passing this information along; will comply with Steve's request in the future.

Link: http://www.oklahoman.com/deal-set-to...rticle/5522963

MAP (Replica: advance to Business section - C: http://digital.newsok.com/Olive/ODN/...n/default.aspx (May need subscription to view.)

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Convention Hotel

Any news or updates related to the $288 million convention center & $235.5 million headquarters hotel proposed as part of the MAPS 3 convention center complex:

Oklahoma City Council approved negotiating a deal with Omni to build a 600-room headquarters hotel.

Most recent news:

The addition of a non subsidized private hotel which could add 100 -135 more rooms to the convention center site could give us 700 or more rooms available on the convention center site set to open by 2020.

A deal set to be heard by the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority will allow development to being again on a Fairfield Inn in the area known as Core to Shore. Developer Andy Patel said upgrades will be made to the hotel, including a possible change in brands.

The top task for negotiators with the city and the Urban Renewal Authority as they meet with Omni executives is to see if they can reduce the $84.5 million in public assistance requested by Omni, which is committing to finance the remaining $151 million of the $235.5 million hotel.
    Oklahoma City seeks to reduce its cost for Omni convention center hotel - http://newsok.com/article/5520515

Blog Entries

New Fairfield Inn Plans Reveal Sleeker Hotel for Convention Center Site:

Patel, who is also working on plans for a hotel in Bricktown, bought a one-story warehouse at 5 SW 5 for $1.25 million in April 2014 when the city was attempting to acquire land south of the Myriad Gardens for the $283 million convention center. He cleared the site and completed designs that won accolades from the Downtown Design Review Committee. Then plans for the convention center changed.

...The revised designs keep the hotel at five stories, but the room count is increased from 112 to 133 rooms.
    http://newsok.com/new-fairfield-inn-...lick=columnist

That will up the total count for rooms available on the convention center & hotel site (Total 733 rooms = Omni 600 + Fairfield 133). This puts us closer to the original 735 room study target figure.

Maps 3

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Convention Hotel

"Plenty-Plenty, a new Oklahoma City beyond 2020."

We'll have most MAPS projects & private developments completed, here a some selected projects:

Bennett Events Center (279,000-sq. ft.,)*
    BOK Park Plaza Center
    Convention center
    Downtown Park

Conference hotel accommodations totaling 733 rooms on convention center site:
    Fairfield Inn 5-story (133 rooms)
    Omni Hotel 19-story (600-rooms)

Riversport Rapids*
    Street Car Transit
    Wellness centers (Budget plans for 4 throughout city)

* = Completed projects.

Any new things going on with this project?

They are still trying to finalize the negotiations with Omni.

Assuming all goes well, they hope to start construction by the end of the year.

Thread Information