Widgets Magazine

Thread: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Okc boom?

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    After looking at a map, that is depressing. I remember when FM 1604 was pretty much the end of the earth for people there.
    And that seems to be the time period you still seem to perceive San Antonio with.

Btw, this isn't the 80s anymore Adaniel, it's called Loop 1604, not FM 1604.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    And that seems to be the time period you still seem to perceive San Antonio with.

Btw, this isn't the 80s anymore Adaniel, it's called Loop 1604, not FM 1604.
    Sounds like you'd have more fun on SanAntonioTalk.com.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    Sounds like you'd have more fun on SanAntonioTalk.com.
    This.

Didn't think I was that harsh in my assessment of SA. Its actually one of my favorite cities. Poster asked why San Antonio isn't mentioned more on here, I gave them an answer. I know several people from that area, including a girl I semi-dated, and what I typed was largely their opinions, not mine. And then there's this: Left Behind: Why People Leave San Antonio | The Rivard Report

Still like and respect what San Antonio is doing. With that in mind, I am too excited about what's going on in OKC to get into an argument about whats going on in a city that in many ways is completely different than ours.

This.

Didn't think I was that harsh in my assessment of SA. Its actually one of my favorite cities. Poster asked why San Antonio isn't mentioned more on here, I gave them an answer. I know several people from that area, including a girl I semi-dated, and what I typed was largely their opinions, not mine. And then there's this: Left Behind: Why People Leave San Antonio | The Rivard Report

Still like and respect what San Antonio is doing. With that in mind, I am too excited about what's going on in OKC to get into an argument about whats going on in a city that in many ways is completely different than ours.
    And I responded to your inaccurate answer.

Btw, what does a blog about people leaving San Antonio because of jobs have to do with anything pertaining to the question I asked. You could make the same blog post about every city or metro in this country, including Oklahoma City. Unless, no one ever leaves Oklahoma City for job reasons...

My question was about San Antonio having the same (or better) growth as the other boom towns but never mentioning. I guess sub-textually, I was using the question as a way to inform this board of what San Antonio has done and continues to do.

I feel like there's a bit of ignorance when it comes to San Antonio on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    And I responded to your inaccurate answer.

Btw, what does a blog about people leaving San Antonio because of jobs have to do with anything pertaining to the question I asked. You could make the same blog post about every city or metro in this country, including Oklahoma City. Unless, no one ever leaves Oklahoma City for job reasons...

My question was about San Antonio having the same (or better) growth as the other boom towns but never mentioning. I guess sub-textually, I was using the question as a way to inform this board of what San Antonio has done and continues to do.

I feel like there's a bit of ignorance when it comes to San Antonio on this forum.
    When you have a moment, read that blog article and the comments in its entirety. It had very little to do with people leaving San Antonio due to jobs. Rather, it described people leaving the area because they felt it was not a city that embraced young professionals and the "creative class" largely due to cultural factors and, among other things, large retiree population and a focus on tourism. I hate that term for the record, but that article is in line of some of the complaints I've heard about SA. Doesn't make it a horrible place, and retaining younger types is an uphill battle for most mid sized cities. Frankly, a lot of what was said in that could describe OKC prior to 2008.

I do think that SA has a ton of potential due to its unique culture and proximity to Austin's tech scene. And I have heard great things about the mayor there. I think you are getting a bit defensive, and maybe you should consider starting a new thread detailing SA's progress if you feel its not well represented.

When you have a moment, read that blog article and the comments in its entirety. It had very little to do with people leaving San Antonio due to jobs. Rather, it described people leaving the area because they felt it was not a city that embraced young professionals and the "creative class" largely due to cultural factors and, among other things, large retiree population and a focus on tourism.
    Are you reading the same blog post? Not once in it are retirees or tourism mentioned. The only time that stuff gets brought up is in the comments.

Btw, Oklahoma City has a higher retirement population (65+) than San Antonio.

I hate that term for the record, but that article is in line of some of the complaints I've heard about SA. Doesn't make it a horrible place, and retaining younger types is an uphill battle for most mid sized cities. Frankly, a lot of what was said in that could describe OKC prior to 2008.
    Sorry, let's be real here. It could describe OKC now, no offense.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you've ever seen the American Migration map done by Forbes.

It shows the population migration county by county. They feature the years 2005-2010. The blue represents a net gain in residents from that county. Red represents a net loss to to that county. The darker the color, the higher the difference in net gain/loss.

This is San Antonio in 2010.

This is Oklahoma in 2010.

Notice how much greater an area Bexar County (San Antonio) pulls than Oklahoma City. Also notice how Bexar pulls in people from the Pacific Northwest and Silicon Valley.

P.S. That blog post you keep using as a reference is almost two years old. Since then, the Pearl and Lower Broadway has exploded into a hip area with young professionals. As a small example, within the last year, a young couple from San Francisco bought a house in Government Hill, one block from Lower Broadway, and turned it into a bakery called Bakery Lorraine. It's gone on to gain national praise and recognition.

Then there's the Pearl itself. If you're not familiar with it, you should definitely check it out. It's a culinary haven. It's home to one of the three CIA schools. Almost a dozen independent restaurants and counting. A boutique hotel is under construction as well as a 10 story residential building.

Thread Information