Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 29 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

Just wondering, but why is it when you guys talk about Texas booms towns you always seem to neglect San Antonio?

It's the second fastest growing metro in Texas and grew by over 20% from 1990 to 2000 and over 25% from 2000 to 2010. And city wise, is usually in the top 3 nation wide for population growth.

Default Re: Okc boom?

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Just wondering, but why is it when you guys talk about Texas booms towns you always seem to neglect San Antonio?

It's the second fastest growing metro in Texas and grew by over 20% from 1990 to 2000 and over 25% from 2000 to 2010. And city wise, is usually in the top 3 nation wide for population growth.
    San Antonio is simply overshadowed by Austin and doesn't get as much love from the media. You are right though. Personally, I think San Antonio has much better infrastructure than Austin and could be a much larger city without growth being choked off.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    San Antonio is simply overshadowed by Austin and doesn't get as much love from the media. You are right though. Personally, I think San Antonio has much better infrastructure than Austin and could be a much larger city without growth being choked off.
    I am surprised that San Antonio hasn't had an NFL team relocate there.

San Antonio's sprawl is effing ridiculous.

What better infrastructure does SA have?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    A better freeway system for starters. The San Antonio system is a lot more efficient at getting people from the burbs to downtown and vice versa, and its a lot easier to get from one side of the metro to the other. Austin is a mess with one interstate serving the entire metro. Think of what OKC would be like with ONLY I-40, all other highways gone, and on top of that, all of the development - 1.3 million population, was sprawled along it, with development dropping off just a few miles on each side of the freeway. Even in our small metro area, traffic would be horrendous but sprawl would be continuous from Shawnee to El Reno.

A better freeway system for starters. The San Antonio system is a lot more efficient at getting people from the burbs to downtown and vice versa, and its a lot easier to get from one side of the metro to the other. Austin is a mess with one interstate serving the entire metro. Think of what OKC would be like with ONLY I-40, all other highways gone, and on top of that, all of the development - 1.3 million population, was sprawled along it, with development dropping off just a few miles on each side of the freeway. Even in our small metro area, traffic would be horrendous but sprawl would be continuous from Shawnee to El Reno.
    I don't know what Austin you're talking about, maybe circa 1970. The Mopac is just as important as 35 and there are several loops if that's your thing. They have a really cheap, innovative commuter rail which is my thing.

I must say I had this uncanny feeling that you'd mention their superior freeway system with its marvelous ease and convenience for getting everyone out to the suburbs.

I don't know what Austin you're talking about, maybe circa 1970. The Mopac is just as important as 35 and there are several loops if that's your thing. They have a really cheap, innovative commuter rail which is my thing.

I must say I had this uncanny feeling that you'd mention their superior freeway system with its marvelous ease and convenience for getting everyone out to the suburbs.
    Guy, please stop. Your irrational and comical bias towards San Antonio is showing.

The overrated and over-hyped college town you seem to be enamored with doesn't have a single "loop" yet alone "several" loops.

My guess would be the freeway system.

If OKC was that close to the Mexico border we would be booming to....lol

SA is a good example that not all growth is good growth.

When I lived in Dallas the main rap on SA is it has very little industry and generally low pay compared to DFW, Houston, Austin, and even OKC. The economy is driven mainly by military and tourism, although they've had some success in luring industry like Toyota. Most people who move there are retirees, army transfers, or are equity refugees from the coasts.

Don't get me wrong, I love SA. Lots of culture and a "little big town vibe." And its nice that there are a few places left in the US that are not overly commercialized train wrecks. But San Antonio is something of a lifestyle destination, similar to locales like Florida, Arizona, or to a lesser extent Colorado. Unless you have a beach, niche culture, or ideal climate thats something very hard to recreate.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    SA is a good example that not all growth is good growth.

When I lived in Dallas the main rap on SA is it has very little industry and generally low pay compared to DFW, Houston, Austin, and even OKC. The economy is driven mainly by military and tourism, although they've had some success in luring industry like Toyota. Most people who move there are retirees, army transfers, or are equity refugees from the coasts.

Don't get me wrong, I love SA. Lots of culture and a "little big town vibe." And its nice that there are a few places left in the US that are not overly commercialized train wrecks. But San Antonio is something of a lifestyle destination, similar to locales like Florida, Arizona, or to a lesser extent Colorado. Unless you have a beach, niche culture, or ideal climate thats something very hard to recreate.
    I'm sorry, I have to laugh at this (and at those agreeing with this) because aside from be completely incorrect, it's based off a false "perception" from one of the most pretentious city's in this country (Dallas). I guess if you're not part of the standard Dallas mentally/lifestyle, you know, being a $35,000 a year millionaire, you're not worthy.

Anyway, it's inaccurate because the economy isn't driven by the military or tourism. In fact, tourism isn't even one of the top five largest economic industries in San Antonio.

The two largest economic impact industries in San Antonio are the health care industry and the financial industry followed by the military, then manufacturing, then IT. Oil and Gas come after that.

Another thing, as of 2012, both San Antonio and Oklahoma City have very similar pay. So, similar pay for both places however, San Antonio has a lower cost of living.

Green Country sent me a PM informing me that I was incorrect in my claim that San Antonio was the second fastest growing metro in Texas, it was in fact the third fastest growing. I tried to reply to the PM but his or her folder is full and therefore would not accept my reply.

Here is that reply:

You are correct. I was mistaken. I did my own calculations and it seems I messed up when calculating Houston's percentage between 2000-2010, because I got a lower number than the one your showing and the one I just did myself to confirm. I said, I was incorrect. However, my point remains. San Antonio is on par or better than Dallas and Houston in those recent figures, yet, it is never mentioned when Texas boom towns are talked about.

I'm sorry, I have to laugh at this (and at those agreeing with this) because aside from be completely incorrect, it's based off a false "perception" from one of the most pretentious city's in this country (Dallas). I guess if you're not part of the standard Dallas mentally/lifestyle, you know, being a $35,000 a year millionaire, you're not worthy.

Anyway, it's inaccurate because the economy isn't driven by the military or tourism. In fact, tourism isn't even one of the top five largest economic industries in San Antonio.

The two largest economic impact industries in San Antonio are the health care industry and the financial industry followed by the military, then manufacturing, then IT. Oil and Gas come after that.

Another thing, as of 2012, both San Antonio and Oklahoma City have very similar pay. So, similar pay for both places however, San Antonio has a lower cost of living.
    You could use any reasoning you want, but the truth is that in most people's minds Houston, Dallas, and Austin are always going to come first when they think of Texas. Because of that San Antonio is never going to get the kind of attention it probably deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    You could use any reasoning you want, but the truth is that in most people's minds Houston, Dallas, and Austin are always going to come first when they think of Texas. Because of that San Antonio is never going to get the kind of attention it probably deserves.
    I highly doubt that. Maybe on this forum but not in general or every day life across this country or the globe.

I highly doubt that. Maybe on this forum but not in general or every day life across this country or the globe.
    In my experience, that is just not true. I'm from Kansas City, and when I graduated from KU last May nobody was talking about moving to San Antonio. Everyone I know who ended up in Texas ended up in Houston, then Dallas, then Austin in that order.

As for people's opinions around the country and globe, do you honestly think people from Europe or Asia think about San Antonio over Dallas or Houston when US cities come up?

Another thing that I think hurts San Antonio, is that it has the perception of being a very Hispanic oriented city. It has a lot of Mexican heritage, and over 63% of its population is Hispanic. Some people prefer a city that is a little more diverse.

Edit: I don't mean any of these points as insults towards San Antonio. I'm just trying to say that SA does indeed have a lot of competition, just in it's own state, for publicity. That's why it doesn't get as much attention as some other cities, like Portland for example, who are the only major city in their state.

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    In my experience, that is just not true. I'm from Kansas City, and when I graduated from KU last May nobody was talking about moving to San Antonio. Everyone I know who ended up in Texas ended up in Houston, then Dallas, then Austin in that order.
    So your reasoning is grounded in anecdotal evidence. Makes sense.

As I said before, San Antonio had the second highest percentage for brain gain in 2012. It was actual a couple of decimals from being number one.

Between 2008 and 2011, San Antonio also ranked 2nd in the nation for brain gain.

As for people's opinions around the country and globe, do you honestly think people from Europe or Asia think about San Antonio over Dallas or Houston when US cities come up?
    That's not at all what I said.

Another thing that I think hurts San Antonio, is that it has the perception of being a very Hispanic oriented city. It has a lot of Mexican heritage, and over 63% of its population is Hispanic. Some people prefer a city that is a little more diverse.
    Ah, so it comes out, the cause of the bias I seem to get from you? I guess Atlanta being nearly 60% black and New Orleans being over 60% black and Minneapolis being over 60% white are hurting those cities? Or is a majority population only a problem if the majority is olive skin? You let me know, because I don't think "the perception of being a very White or very black city hurts them" would have come out of your keyboards. So, why the exception for Hispanic majority?

What's your opinion of Miami? 64% Hispanic population. Is your opinion the same, it hurts them?

Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

Guys, get back to discussing San Antonio in a respectful way, otherwise I am going to completely close this thread.

My good friends wife was almost mugged twice in 2 days in San Antonio a few years back. A couple of teenage kids tried to yank her purse from her, first time on the street in front of the Alamo, and the other was over by the Hemisphere tower.

That's the impression they came back from SA with......

And no offense, but the downtown skyline just doesn't measure up to the other major towns in Texas......not even Ft Worth. Go back and take a look at your photos and you'll see.

Does San Antonio have height restrictions or something? Austin's skyline was pretty pathetic until they removed the restriction prior to building the Frost Bank Tower.

Josh,

I apologize if my posts last night offended you. It is never my intention to make enemies anywhere I go, especially on here. I just felt like any response I gave was awarded with a snarky personal remark back about the opinions I viewed. I was also a few beers in when I came back on and saw your replies, so that may have contributed to my annoyance.

I also wanted to clarify why I brought up SA's history and demographics. I probably didn't lay it out as clearly as I should have from the beginning. My entire point was that from a young age (grade school) children learn about the Alamo and all the Spanish/Mexican history that SA has in it's past. Because of this I think SA is unfairly labeled as being a very Hispanic-oriented city. My point in bringing up the demographics was that if someone who has never actually been to SA looks at those, they're going to only reinforce to themselves that their stereotype is correct. In their mind, not only does SA have a lot of Spanish/Mexican history but they also have a heavy concentration of people who come from Hispanic families, so the city must still revolve mainly around Spanish/Mexican culture. That is all I was ever trying to say.

Hopefully that is a little clearer. I never meant to say anything negative about San Antonio or the people who live there. I have only been their once, and I enjoyed it, but I never really got to leave the DT area by the riverwalk and convention center. I was only trying to explain the perception of SA I get from people who have never actually been there.

Despite the lack of a strong skyline, San Antonio is excellent at street level and has a very strong sense of place. It would be cool if they were to get a tower or two to make their skyline more recognizable.

Despite the lack of a strong skyline, San Antonio is excellent at street level and has a very strong sense of place. It would be cool if they were to get a tower or two to make their skyline more recognizable.
    That's it right there......nothing to distinct with their skyline. Maybe some day that'll change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    That's it right there......nothing to distinct with their skyline. Maybe some day that'll change.
    They have a pretty substantial building proposed. It's not huge, but it's nice for San Antonio.

Was my thread at Other Communities merged into this thread?

Why?

Thread Information