Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

That is a killer view. With the powerlines being buried should make it look even nicer.

I agree! Can't wait to see an updated photo of the new street without the power lines and the new high/mid-rises in the background.

Here's a view looking towards the west. Downtown would be just off to the middle left of the picture. You can see some of the buildings in Midtown.

Funny enough, David Robinson recently sold his suburban Shavano Park [1][2][3] home and bought the penthouse in the residential high-rise that picture was taken from. He wanted to be closer to downtown and as a soon to be empty-nester (along with his wife), didn't need the huge mansion in the suburbs. He actually bought the Shavano Park home in 2011 after selling the Dominion home he custom built over 23 years ago, so he could be closer to his youngest son's school. Moral of the story? It's nice to have millions and millions of dollars, lol.

City leaders announced Wednesday that San Antonio is one of nine cities selected to be part of the next phase of Google Fiber, a fiber-optic network that would bring high-speed broadband Internet service to consumers.

“San Antonians deserve faster Internet speeds and better broadband access,” San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro said at Wednesday's announcement. “We’re working hard to make that happen – and I’m confident that we will accomplish our goal.”

According to the company, Google Fiber could bring San Antonio residents Internet access at speeds up to 1,000 Megabits per second.

Google Inc. will unveil plans Wednesday to bring fiber-optic services 100 times faster than basic broadband to San Antonio consumers, officials from the California-based technology company confirmed Tuesday.

Mayor Julián Castro is slated to participate in a press call Wednesday afternoon with Google's Lo to announce the national initiative.

The mayor has been working with the Google team said the strong potential for Google Fiber in San Antonio would be a significant win for residents and business here.

“This comes at a particularly opportune time for local markets like San Antonio to have increased competition,” Castro said. “And I'm confident we can make it a success in San Antonio.”

Bringing some of the fastest Internet speeds in the country could also spur further economic development in San Antonio. Castro said he believes it would attract small tech businesses to the city and help bolster the tech existing sector here.

It's just a restaurant but I'm pretty dang excited about this one. Also, this will be just the second location in Texas, that one being in Dallas.

The island is coming to SA. L&L Hawaiian Barbecue will open its first location in the city at 1302 Austin Hwy, Ste 1. The company, known for its fusion of American and Asian eats carries Hawaiian ‘cue, chicken katsu, kalua pork, Loco Moco (patties placed over rice, covered with brown gravy and topped with two eggs), spam musubi and a picturesque Saimin Burger.

The company confirmed via Facebook that it has set a tentative opening date in April. Follow L&L on Facebook for more updates.

I just want to say thanks for all the gorgeous photos. I absolutely love San Antonio. Both my parents grew up there and I lived there for a year when I was 18. Many of the old neighborhoods look pretty much the same as when I was there. We used to take our baby to those areas for picnics and it was so lush compared to OKC, at the time. Thanks for taking me down memory lane to some happy times.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    I just want to say thanks for all the gorgeous photos. I absolutely love San Antonio. Both my parents grew up there and I lived there for a year when I was 18. Many of the old neighborhoods look pretty much the same as when I was there. We used to take our baby to those areas for picnics and it was so lush compared to OKC, at the time. Thanks for taking me down memory lane to some happy times.
    You're more than welcome. I'm genuinely thrilled that my posts could bring happiness to you.

New development proposed for Mission Reach neighborhood

• 400-unit development proposed for Riverside neighborhood in the Mission Reach.
    • Proposed cost of the development is $75 million.
    • Will feature street level retail.
    • Would replace a trailer park.

Alamo Beer Company's new brewery and brewpub restaurant are under construction on the near east side.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    That's cool. It was only a matter of time until Fiber made its way down to SA with it already being in Austin. We have it back home in KC but I have yet to use it

The City of San Antonio this week will take the first steps toward getting the world's fastest internet service into your home and office, 1200 WOAI news reports.

San Antonio City Council on Thursday is expected to approve the lease of city and CPS Energy owned land for the construction of so called 'Google Fiber Huts,' the 26 foot by 11 foot prefabricated buildings which will house the brains of the Google Fiber operation.

The way Google Fiber works, a 'fiber ring' will be constructed surrounding the service area, mainly San Antonio and some close-in suburbs like Leon Valley.

Fibers will branch out from the ring to the Good Fiber Huts, where they will branch out to what are called 'fiber-hoods,' that is a group of homes served by the same hut.

The City Council approved Thursday, a long-term contract with Google Fiber Texas, LLC., allowing the tech company to install about 40 so-called “fiber huts” at San Antonio libraries, fire and police stations, and other city buildings.

City Council members applauded the deal, which lays the legal framework for Google to roll out a fiber-optic network that clocks Internet speeds 100 times faster than traditional broadband.

Mayor Julián Castro lauded the deal because he said it would lessen the “digital divide” in San Antonio and force better competition among Internet service providers — driving down costs and increasing speeds.

The contract allows Google Fiber to lease space for its fiber huts, which house hardware that makes the system run, for an initial 20-year period. The lease may be extended in five-year segments for another 15 years. The market-rate rent Google will pay escalates each year by 3 percent.

Progress is ramping up on the Alamo Beer Company brewery in East Point, formerly known as the near east side.

Rendering: View of the Brewery and Beer Garden from the Hays Street Bridge

The Hays Street Bridge at night

After months of speculation, the popular fast-food chain confirmed it selected a site on the far West Side for its first location in San Antonio.

“We really like the site and hope to be able to get it under construction in the not-too-distant future,” Carl Van Fleet, vice president of planning and development for In-N-Out, said in an email.

Architectural records filed with the state Wednesday show In-N-Out plans to spend $1.5 million on a freestanding restaurant with a drive-thru at 10918 Culebra Road near Loop 1604.
    This is a map of the four In-N-Out locations planned for San Antonio and the metro area so far. The far left marker is the Culebra Rd. location which will open in November.

A pair of executives from Tesla Motors Inc., the electric carmaker that's scouting a location for its planned $5 billion “gigafactory,” secretly met here Wednesday with top city and county officials, a person close to the discussion said.

The meeting came less than a week after the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation submitted a proposal to the Palo Alto, Calif.-based manufacturer for the factory, which will produce lithium-ion batteries for Tesla vehicles and battery storage units for use in homes, commercial sites and utilities.

While details of what local officials offered Tesla weren't available, the proposal included a separate section for CPS Energy, positioning the city-owned utility as a potential partner for the company.

A neat little townhouse development on a narrow strip of vacant land in Lavaca is set to be approved by the HDRC.

Here's a cool video I found: Stone Oak in two minutes

San Antonio will soon be home to a major solar manufacturer.

Mayor Julian Castro announced Monday night that KACO, a Germany based solar company, is moving their North American headquarters to San Antonio.

They are currently located in California, but city officials said they will make the move to the Alamo City by midsummer.

In addition to relocating 40 employees from California to Texas, KACO is expected to hire as many as 25 more employees.

It looks like two In-N-Out restaurants will be under construction over the summer and both will open in November.

In-N-Out Burger will break ground on its Windcrest location in May, according to architectural records filed with the state.

The popular West Coast fast-food chain submitted its plans with the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation last week and estimated construction of the restaurant at 8202 N. Interstate 35 would finish in November. The company plans to spend $1.5 million on the restaurant.

Earlier in March, In-N-Out confirmed it would build a free-standing restaurant with a drive-thru at 10918 Culebra Road near Loop 1604.

Construction there also should start in May and finish in November, according to public records.

Veggie burger boss, Mike Behrend is getting in on the fast food game. Behrend and his team at Green Vegetarian Cuisine will open Earth Burger at 722 NW Loop 410 inside the Park North shopping center.

Behrend, who recently opened a Green location in Houston, hopes to provide healthy options for the drive-thru set while using Gardein products and at similar price points to their corporate counterparts.

The restaurant has launched a Kickstarter campain for signage and other whatnots. Behrend said he hopes to open Earth Burger by June.

I forgot to post this here last week.

Both Uber and Lyft are now operating in San Antonio. Lyft launched on March 21st and Uber launched on March 28th.

AT&T Eyeing San Antonio for High Speed Internet Known as Gigapower

Less than two months after Google announced it was considering San Antonio as a location for it's new super fast 'Google fiber' internet service, 1200 WOAI news has learned that AT&T is also eyeing San Antonio for it's 'U-Verse With GigaPower' fiber service, which would provide similarly fast service.

"With the leadership of Mayor Castro, San Antonio is a testament to what is possible when policies encourage investment in technology," AT&T Regional Vice President Renee Flores told 1200 WOAI news.

At next week's City Council meeting, council will consider granting AT&T the same deal that Google was granted last month, the right to use city property, mainly exiting police and fire stations and libraries, to erect 'prefabricated communications equipment shelters' and to string fiber along existing city rights of way.

It was predictable. Now, AT&T has moved to protect some turf in the wake of Google Fiber’s pursuit of potential expansion to San Antonio.

AT&T has reached a master lease agreement with the City of San Antonio that would allow the company to establish a series of network huts on municipal property that could help facilitate deployment of a fiber network that would provide communications and technology services to Alamo City residents and businesses.

City Council unanimously approved the deal on Thursday.

“I applaud AT&T for responding to the call for greater competition in the San Antonio market,” says Mayor Julian Castro. “The big winners will be local consumers who will have greater access to super fast Internet speeds that can spur innovation and drive entrepreneurialism.”

If all of this sounds familiar, it should. In March, I reported that City Council approved a 20-year master-lease contract with Google Fiber Texas LLC that allows that company to rent space for network huts that would support expansion of its ultra-high-speed fiber-optic network to the Alamo City.

San Antonio is one of nine metro areas that could enter the Google Fiberhood.

Thread Information