Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 683
  1. #176

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I revised my post to show the difference between OKC and Tulsa instead of OKC and San Antonio.
    Your Tulsa stats are incorrect. Their metro area's population is 951,880 (2012) and GDP is $37 billion.

    I agree with you that San Antonio is distinctively above OKC. The stats for OKC aren't that terrible, but they just don't match up to the Texas powerhouses. There are many states that you could place a city like OKC in and it would totally dominate.

  2. #177

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I'd add El Paso and Tulsa to Tier 3 and move McAllen to Tier 4 with Corpus.
    OKC having twice the GDP of El Paso and about a third more than Tulsa I think it deserves to be in its own tier.

  3. #178

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Your Tulsa stats are incorrect. Their metro area's population is 951,880 (2012) and GDP is $37 billion.

    I agree with you that San Antonio is distinctively above OKC. The stats for OKC aren't that terrible, but they just don't match up to the Texas powerhouses. There are many states that you could place a city like OKC in and it would totally dominate.
    I used the CSA population for Tulsa, which is a little over 1.1 million. Not a huge difference between 950k and 1.1 million. But since Tulsa has a CSA population, it has to be used, just like DFW's CSA population is used.

    As for the GDP, Tulsa's GDP was 47bn in 2012.

  4. #179

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    OKC having twice the GDP of El Paso and about a third more than Tulsa I think it deserves to be in its own tier.
    OKC would definitely be ahead of El Paso and Tulsa, within the Tier. But all three are in the same tier, imo.

  5. #180

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Ok! Enough being off topic. Back to the topic of this thread. lol

  6. #181

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    OKC would definitely be ahead of El Paso and Tulsa, within the Tier. But they're all three in the same tier, imo.
    I disagree. After looking at the stats, have to say OKC is as much above El Paso as it is below San Antonio.

    Like you said though, back to the topic at hand.

  7. #182

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Ok, I just realized that Austin has a GDP of $100 Billion or so, and San Antonio with a GDP of nearly $90 Billion.

    Tier 1. Houston/ DFW
    Tier 2. Austin/ San Antonio
    Tier 3. OKC

  8. #183

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Agreed Back of Topic.

  9. #184

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    Ok, I just realized that Austin has a GDP of $100 Billion or so, and San Antonio with a GDP of nearly $90 Billion.

    Tier 1. Houston/ DFW
    Tier 2. Austin/ San Antonio
    Tier 3. OKC
    It's 98bn to 91bn.

    In 2001 it was 65bn to 61bn.

  10. #185

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I disagree. Personally I tend to be more negative about most things concerning OKC than the average OKCTalk poster. Having moved here from a real major city (Charlotte) I have found it lacking in so many ways. However, even I, after looking at the stats, have to say OKC is as much above El Paso as it is below San Antonio.

    Like you said though, back to the topic at hand.
    Then, if it pleases you, Tier 3 can be OKC and Tulsa and Tier 4 can be El Paso, McAllen and Corpus Christi. It is settled, let's move on. lol

  11. #186

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Bet you wouldn't guess...

    This is a street in San Antonio and is a quick 10 minute walk from downtown.


  12. #187

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I didn't mean literally their standards. There are cues OKC could take from El Paso like planting trees, rock or brick fences around subdivisions rather than wood, medians on streets with double turn lanes, and streetlights/sidewalks along every street.
    Gotcha, my bad.

  13. #188

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Bet you wouldn't guess...

    This is a street in San Antonio and is a quick 10 minute walk from downtown.

    All cities have nice areas; what is so impressive about this picture? I have been to El Paso, and it is an alright city. I however, rank it with Memphis and Tucson; near garbage.

    Stick to posting about SA, because with El Paso, it has a long ways to go. Tulsa is 3x the city El Paso will ever become.

  14. #189

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    All cities have nice areas; what is so impressive about this picture? I have been to El Paso, and it is an alright city. I however, rank it with Memphis and Tucson; near garbage.

    Stick to posting about SA, because with El Paso, it has a long ways to go. Tulsa is 3x the city El Paso will ever become.
    First, I wasn't posting the picture because it's a nice area. I posted it because it's historic and for most people, it doesn't look like a neighborhood in South Central Texas. Also, it's incredibly close to downtown. Most cities in this country do not have historical residential district as close to their downtown cores. It's a two-three minute drive from downtown to this point in the picture. Btw, this is the King William Historical District.

    Second, not sure what El Paso has to do with this picture.

    Lastly, I do post about San Antonio in this thread.

  15. #190

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    First, I wasn't posting the picture because it's a nice area. I posted it because it's historic and for most people, it doesn't look like a neighborhood in South Central Texas. Also, it's incredibly close to downtown. Most cities in this country do not have historical residential district as close to their downtown cores. It's a two-three minute drive from downtown to this point in the picture. Btw, this is the King William Historical District.

    Second, not sure what El Paso has to do with this picture.

    Lastly, I do post about San Antonio in this thread.
    Gotcha, my bad. I thought something else was being portrayed here, but I was wrong.

  16. #191

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Gotcha, my bad. I thought something else was being portrayed here, but I was wrong.
    Btw, it's a very nice neighborhood. It's beautiful. The old Victorian homes and the shaded streets. It feels like you've been dropped right into New Orleans.

    This is just one of the many historical neighborhoods in the urban core of San Antonio. There's Monte Vista[1][2], Tobin Hill, Beacon Hill, Dignowity Hill, Lavaca, and Mahncke Park. Then there are places like Olmos Park, Terrell Hills, Alamo Heights, Oak Park, Northwoods.

    That's "old" nice.

    New nice is Shavano Park, Stone Oak, Sonterra, La Cantera, Sonoma[1][2], Inwood, Cibolo Canyons [1][2][3], etc.

  17. #192

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    First, I wasn't posting the picture because it's a nice area. I posted it because it's historic and for most people, it doesn't look like a neighborhood in South Central Texas. Also, it's incredibly close to downtown. Most cities in this country do not have historical residential district as close to their downtown cores. It's a two-three minute drive from downtown to this point in the picture. Btw, this is the King William Historical District.

    Second, not sure what El Paso has to do with this picture.

    Lastly, I do post about San Antonio in this thread.
    It absolutely is a very nice area. OKC has similar very nice historic neighborhoods that close to downtown.

  18. #193

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It absolutely is a very nice area. OKC has similar very nice historic neighborhoods that close to downtown.
    Nice. What are the names? I'd love to check them out.

  19. #194

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Btw, it's a very nice neighborhood. It's beautiful. The old Victorian homes and the shaded streets. It feels like you've been dropped right into New Orleans.

    This is just one of the many historical neighborhoods in the urban core of San Antonio. There's Monte Vista[1][2], Tobin Hill, Beacon Hill, Dignowity Hill, Lavaca, and Mahncke Park. Then there are places like Olmos Park, Terrell Hills, Alamo Heights, Oak Park, Northwoods.

    That's "old" nice.

    New nice is Shavano Park, Stone Oak, Sonterra, La Cantera, Sonoma[1][2], Inwood, Cibolo Canyons [1][2][3], etc.
    WOW! Those are some awesome neighborhoods there.

  20. #195

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Thanks. Yeah, all the "old" nice neighborhoods are inside Loop 410 and all the "new" nice neighborhoods are outside 410 and most are outside Loop 1604. There's a ton more new nice neighborhoods but I didn't want to over do it.

    I would have linked pictures to all the "old" nice neighborhoods but I was sleepy and I couldn't finish.

  21. #196

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Nice. What are the names? I'd love to check them out.
    A couple would be Heritage Hills and Mesta Park.

  22. #197

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    A couple would be Heritage Hills and Mesta Park.
    Checked them out. Really cool.

    Very similar to Monte Vista and Tobin Hill in San Antonio. Both distance wise and look.

    With King William and Lavaca, those two neighborhoods are less than half a miles from the core of downtown. Also, the housing stock in King William is vastly different than what I saw in Mesta Park and Heritage Hills. In King William, it's a mix of Greek Revival, Victorian, Italianate styles as well as others.

    Here are some pictures of the neighborhood showing off the housing stock as well as giving reference to how close it is to downtown.




































































  23. #198

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    Arts District Mixed-Use












  24. #199

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    H-E-B is tearing down its oldest San Antonio grocery store and replacing it with its ever multi-level urban grocery concept. The first level will be parking while the second level will be a two story grocery store.






    Map showing the location of the new urban HEB in relation to downtown proper.



  25. #200

    Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

    One of my favorite pictures of San Antonio.

    Taken from The Broadway in Uptown, the view is looking north-northwest into the city's suburbia.


    Disclaimer: This picture is from 2008. A lot has changed with the suburbs as more high-rises have been built, since then, that would be in view today.


    Also: All the streets shown as well as off camera in that area are under heavy construction at the moment as wider sidewalks are being added, utilities being buried as well as other improvements such as bike lanes and medians being added. This is all part of the Broadway/Hildebrand project.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Amtrak to San Antonio?
    By Spartan in forum Transportation
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 12:43 PM
  2. Petco going to San Antonio instead of Norman
    By MustangGT in forum Norman
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-27-2010, 01:00 PM
  3. Thanks for the FREE trip to San Antonio MADMONK!
    By OkieKAS in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 07:20 AM
  4. 12.18.05 v. San Antonio
    By Doug Loudenback in forum Sports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2005, 08:14 AM
  5. Sea World in San Antonio
    By rxis in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 09:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO