Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

Default Re: Okc boom?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    What better infrastructure does SA have?
    A better freeway system for starters. The San Antonio system is a lot more efficient at getting people from the burbs to downtown and vice versa, and its a lot easier to get from one side of the metro to the other. Austin is a mess with one interstate serving the entire metro. Think of what OKC would be like with ONLY I-40, all other highways gone, and on top of that, all of the development - 1.3 million population, was sprawled along it, with development dropping off just a few miles on each side of the freeway. Even in our small metro area, traffic would be horrendous but sprawl would be continuous from Shawnee to El Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    A better freeway system for starters. The San Antonio system is a lot more efficient at getting people from the burbs to downtown and vice versa, and its a lot easier to get from one side of the metro to the other. Austin is a mess with one interstate serving the entire metro. Think of what OKC would be like with ONLY I-40, all other highways gone, and on top of that, all of the development - 1.3 million population, was sprawled along it, with development dropping off just a few miles on each side of the freeway. Even in our small metro area, traffic would be horrendous but sprawl would be continuous from Shawnee to El Reno.
    I don't know what Austin you're talking about, maybe circa 1970. The Mopac is just as important as 35 and there are several loops if that's your thing. They have a really cheap, innovative commuter rail which is my thing.

I must say I had this uncanny feeling that you'd mention their superior freeway system with its marvelous ease and convenience for getting everyone out to the suburbs.

What better infrastructure does SA have?
    My guess would be the freeway system.

Okay, great. That's not out of line with development in downtown OKC, and wouldn't compare very favorably to downtown Cleveland. Stick to bragging about the climate in South Texas.

On a side note, this thread has been a humorous read, almost a worthy replacement for ou48a's post-Bedlam meltdown that I was deprived of
    Comparing Texas's economy to Ohio's? HA!

Okay, great. That's not out of line with development in downtown OKC, and wouldn't compare very favorably to downtown Cleveland. Stick to bragging about the climate in South Texas.

On a side note, this thread has been a humorous read, almost a worthy replacement for ou48a's post-Bedlam meltdown that I was deprived of
    What?

Over a billion dollars of public investment currently going on is comparable to downtown OKC and not comparable to Cleveland? Show the proof that backup that claim.

None of those developments come from some sale tax increase. They're all separate and stem from different funding sources.

Also, those four big developments are not the only public or private investments currently happening in downtown or the urban core. They're just some of the largest.

Over 2,000 residential units are planned or under construction in the urban core as we speak. That's after a little over 1,000 have been built in the last year.

I don't know what Austin you're talking about, maybe circa 1970. The Mopac is just as important as 35 and there are several loops if that's your thing. They have a really cheap, innovative commuter rail which is my thing.

I must say I had this uncanny feeling that you'd mention their superior freeway system with its marvelous ease and convenience for getting everyone out to the suburbs.
    Guy, please stop. Your irrational and comical bias towards San Antonio is showing.

The overrated and over-hyped college town you seem to be enamored with doesn't have a single "loop" yet alone "several" loops.

The worst congested highway in San Antonio, Loop 410, is ranked 38th for congestion in the United States.

That's with a 2.3 million metro and it being a loop that intersects with TWO heavily trafficked interstates, 35 and 10.

Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

PEARL/LOWER BROADWAY

MONTE VISTA

OLMOS PARK

Some suburbia

STONE OAK

FAR NORTHWEST SIDE/LA CANTERA

^^ WOW. Those are some pretty stunning pictures. Some of the houses are especially gorgeous.

Could you somehow show a map of San Antonio with where all those districts/areas are overlaid on top of it? I'm not very familiar with SA, so I wouldn't know where to find most of those areas.

Looking at those pictures kinda bums be out. I just graduated and am currently doing a field rotation for my job, and I had initially requested to be located in San Antonio/South Texas. Instead I got put in Upstate NY/NE Pennsylvania. Definitely on the opposite side of the spectrum in terms of weather!

BRAVO!!!!!! Absolutely stunning man!!!!!!!! Had no idea SA had this much going for it. That is awesome!

Lol is this thread really happening

I had started a thread called OKC boom, it got merged into this thread. I guess a SA thread is more important on OKCTalk.*Edit* I am an ass, just noticed I was complaining for no reason. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    I had started a thread called OKC boom, it got merged into this thread. I guess a SA thread is more important on OKCTalk.
    The OKC boom thread is still here. The posts pertaining to San Antonio got merged into this new thread. The OKC boom thread for some reason became about San Antonio.

http://www.okctalk.com/ask-anything-...-okc-boom.html

That is all you have to say? Really? Lol ok. You obviously have a bias towards Texas. San Antonio is better than Cleveland will ever be, imo. Cleveland is a nice city, but if you're seriously going to bash this thread because SA is a kick ass city, that's just fine. No one there will miss ya.

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    I had started a thread called OKC boom, it got merged into this thread. I guess a SA thread is more important on OKCTalk.
    Kind of like Cleveland, Omaha, and Lincoln? I guess those cities are more important? The answer is no. Every city means something to someone and SA is a great city doing great things. I will make a special trip to stop by and visit next time I drive down to Corpus. I appreciate Josh taking the time to showcase this great city and I love seeing any city progress esp. American cities. Also, as Bchris stated, your thread is still there.

My problem with this thread is there's so many pictures that it's darn near impossible to load the page. I appreciate the pictures though & they're all very gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    My problem with this thread is there's so many pictures that it's darn near impossible to load the page. I appreciate the pictures though & they're all very gorgeous.
    They are fine when on a PC but on a phone, they will eat through your data plan fast. I haven't been to San Antonio, but from these pictures, their urban districts remind me quite a bit of Charlotte except for with a little more character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I use a computer so it loads pretty much instantly. I could see how it would be a real burden for phone users.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    BRAVO!!!!!! Absolutely stunning man!!!!!!!! Had no idea SA had this much going for it. That is awesome!
    I'm not gonna lie, at first I thought this post was sarcastic. But then I saw the rest of your posts and realized you were serious

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, at first I thought this post was sarcastic. But then I saw the rest of your posts and realized you were serious
    Is that a bad thing? SA seriously has some cool districts and attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is that a bad thing? SA seriously has some cool districts and attractions.
    No, not at all! I was just thrown off by all the exclamation points. I agree that SA has some awesome, awesome areas. That area towards the end with all the different colored apartments and the rail running through it looks amazing. I would love to live there!

Thread Information