Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

HKG_Flyer1 Guest

Default Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

Earlier this week, Sen. Inhofe, working on behalf of American Airlines, introduced a crazy bill to close Dallas Love Field, the Southwest Airlines HQ. If he is successful, the following things would happen:
    1) All Southwest Airlines service between OKC, Tulsa and Dallas would end, giving American Airlines a virtual monopoly.
    2) Southwest Airlines might end up relocating its Dallas headquarters,
    3) Southwest Airlines might end up exiting Will Rogers and Tulsa International Airport completely, since remaining passenger volumes would be significantly reduced,
    4) Reduced flight schedules into Will Rogers might make the Southwest Airlines reservation center uneconomic.

In retaliation for Sen. Inhofe's actions, a Dallas-area Congressman, Jeb Hensarling has already introduced a bill which would force the closure of Tulsa International Airport.

This thing is going to get very ugly, with extremely serious potential impacts on Oklahoma's economy, yet the Oklahoma media seems to be asleep at the switch.

2. Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

I posted this yesterday, however, I will reply to this one also.

I want that stupid Wright amendment (really should be called the wrong amendment) repealed. It was nothing but a scam. If Dallas can get one like that enforced, then why not ALL major airports.

Would I be in favor of closing Love Field? No. Not for the reason Inhoff proposes. All it will do is force those same flights to DFW and shift the hub there. It will not effect Oklahoma at all. Just enhance DFW's presence in the airline industry.

Of course, with the hub at DFW, it could force the airlines looking for hubs to look at Oklahoma City.

Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

I don't know alot about whats going on, but definately would not mind it if SouthWest moved to okc. Obviously, even though OKC is doing major renovations, I don't know that it has the facilities to be a hub, but it definately makes sense to be one with the central location.

4. Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus
    I don't know alot about whats going on, but definately would not mind it if SouthWest moved to okc. Obviously, even though OKC is doing major renovations, I don't know that it has the facilities to be a hub, but it definately makes sense to be one with the central location.
    We have been discussing a potential hub for Oklahoma City for a long time. Seriously since January when I learned America West was considering Oklahoma City as a hub city.

As Will Rogers is now, you are correct. We only have 17 gates, which is too small for our level of service and size as it is. We need a minumum of the 25 gates we were promised (see my Will Rogers video in the photo gallery). To be a hub, we will need a second terminal with at least 30 gates plus maintance hangers. They should be in the planning stages now, for construction as soon as a hub contract is signed.

Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

I don't know alot about whats going on, but definately would not mind it if SouthWest moved to okc.
    Well, with Inhofe's brilliant plan, you can kiss that possibility good-bye. No way is a company going to be run out of town only to relocate in the state of the very senator who ran them out. I see no way of this bill passing and it is purely a political play to kiss ass to American, meanwhile it will piss off Southwest. It's kindergarten politics done by the master.

Purely a political ploy to endear himself to his fellow Tulsans.

I'm sure it will go nowhere but he can say "look what I tried to do fro my constituants".

Agreed. It's never going to happen. All Inhoff is doing is making SW mad. They'll not relocate here (even with all of my wishfull thinking). Also, SW has said they will NOT relocate to DFW, nor does DFW have the room for them right now. That being said, if the Wright Amendment is repealed it WILL "affect" Oklahomans who fly to Texas frequently for business. The thought frightens me....Southwest is a very large part of Oklahoma air service. At least we can ease our minds that SW is suggesting discontinuing service to Tulsa, not OKC. (Thanks Inhoff)

swake Guest

Here, try a more thoughtful, informed and reality based discussion on this topic. It's a lot more complicated issue than what you all are talking about here, but then, Tulsa NEVER gets bashed here does it?

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2155

Tulsa NEVER gets bashed here does it?
    What? You are the most sensitive person on this board. Who's bashing Tulsa? Tulsa is a nice place. People in OKC don't bash it. In fact it, we nominated it for a great weekend getaway in our weekly paper. So, seriously, relax, get over it and move on. People here are smart enough to separate Inhofe's bizarre corporate politics from Tulsa. They did it on the thread you pointed us to and people are doing it here. You are the only one I see who consistently goes out of their way to insert irrelevant and backhanded posts on these threads always playing the victimized Tulsan. It gets old... fast.

Agreed. Love a weekend getaway to Tulsa. It's a great city; very pretty, with great shopping, restaurants and historical areas. It was only the aforementioned "bizarre corporate politics" that draws my wrath.

11. Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

Quote Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
    Earlier this week, Sen. Inhofe, working on behalf of American Airlines, introduced a crazy bill to close Dallas Love Field, the Southwest Airlines HQ. If he is successful, the following things would happen:
    1) All Southwest Airlines service between OKC, Tulsa and Dallas would end, giving American Airlines a virtual monopoly.
    2) Southwest Airlines might end up relocating its Dallas headquarters,
    3) Southwest Airlines might end up exiting Will Rogers and Tulsa International Airport completely, since remaining passenger volumes would be significantly reduced,
    4) Reduced flight schedules into Will Rogers might make the Southwest Airlines reservation center uneconomic.

In retaliation for Sen. Inhofe's actions, a Dallas-area Congressman, Jeb Hensarling has already introduced a bill which would force the closure of Tulsa International Airport.

This thing is going to get very ugly, with extremely serious potential impacts on Oklahoma's economy, yet the Oklahoma media seems to be asleep at the switch.
    1) Unless they choose to fly to DFW Airport then there would be no change. You cry monopoly here...but not when American ended (for a time) service to St. Louis, or the monopoly on flights to Kansas City Southwest has?

2) If they relocate their HDQ it'll be to either Houston, Phoenix, or Vegas...but again, doubt it will happen.

3) Southwest will never leave OKC or TUL completely because of Dallas flights going away. They offer significantly more capacity to Kansas City than Dallas, and also have a good amount to Houston Hobby and Phoenix. I would actually expect service to be redirected to Nashville or Baltimore.

4) Why would lack of service in OKC have any effect on the Res Center? They deal with more than OKC residents. OKC is also one of the largest call center locations in the nation thanks to the low costs...that will not change. That's like saying Dell's call center here is too uneconomical because there are more Gateways or HPs sold in Oklahoma - just a hypothetical of course.

12. Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    I posted this yesterday, however, I will reply to this one also.

I want that stupid Wright amendment (really should be called the wrong amendment) repealed. It was nothing but a scam. If Dallas can get one like that enforced, then why not ALL major airports.

Would I be in favor of closing Love Field? No. Not for the reason Inhoff proposes. All it will do is force those same flights to DFW and shift the hub there. It will not effect Oklahoma at all. Just enhance DFW's presence in the airline industry.

Of course, with the hub at DFW, it could force the airlines looking for hubs to look at Oklahoma City.
    If they were going to close Love, they should have left it closed in the early 70s and not reopen it for Southwest. However, they did with the intention of just intrastate flying...and then Wright Amendment came to give them a little more...then the Shelby Amendment to give a little more...and now this. Either shut it down or open it up all the way. At least that is my stance now.

Shutting DAL may make OKC more favorable for a focus city operation - there won't be anymore large scale hubs (20+ gate operations) until airlines turn around. However, keep in mind that DFW has an entire terminal and satellite terminal open and empty right now thanks to Delta closing the hub there. Plenty of room to go yet.

We have the two worst senators in America. What a joke. Coburn makes Inhofe seem intelligent, though, just like Inhofe made Nickles seem intelligent.

Our representation in Washington continues to get worse and worse. Thank God we have Earnest Mistook fighting for our "religious freedom" amendment every session instead of doing anything for OKC.

I may have to move out of this state eventually.

14. Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

What did American do before DFW?? If they only had 3 gates at Love, then they obviously didn't have a hub, let alone a focus operation. Did the Dallas-Ft. Worth area agree to build DFW airport if American would put a hub there?

HKG_Flyer1 Guest

Let's see, this week, Sen. Inhofe filed a bill to close the headquarters operation of the largest air carrier in Oklahoma, Southwest Airlines... the party responsible for bringing cheap flights, frequent service and new destinations to both OKC and Tulsa. I wonder what he's got planned for next week?

Here are some suggestions:
    1) Introduce bill prohibiting Kerr-McKee from operating in downtown Oklahoma City. I've got some pretty sweet and empty office space in NW OKC that would be more appropriate for their use.
    2) Introduce bill closing Frontier City. There's too much congestion on I-35; we've got plenty of land along the Oklahoma River which would be great for an amusement park.
    3) Introduce bill to prohibit SBC from using existing fiber-optic cables running between Texas and Oklahoma. Plenty of capacity exists on other lines.
    4) Introduce bill to ban automobile dealerships on Broadway in Edmond, due to aesthetic concerns. Better location would be along Kirkpatrick Turnpike.

Gee, the options are limitless. Thank you Sen. Inhofe, for looking out for the welfare of your constituents and representing Oklahoma as a stalwart of free enterprise.

16. Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

Let me reference this site for you: http://www.dallas-lovefield.com/love...ovechrono.html

Also...prior to DFW Airport Braniff, American, and I believe Texas Int'l or Delta also had fairly sizeable operations at Love. As noted on the site about...all 8 airlines agreed to move over to DFW Airport when it was announced and Love would close. Then Southwest came in and started up and said they won't move.

HKG_Flyer1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by venture79
    Why would lack of service in OKC have any effect on the Res Center? They deal with more than OKC residents. OKC is also one of the largest call center locations in the nation thanks to the low costs...that will not change. That's like saying Dell's call center here is too uneconomical because there are more Gateways or HPs sold in Oklahoma - just a hypothetical of course.
    Because WN mgmt. employees fly their own airline as non-revs to manage their existing operations. Having to fly American, Delta, Continental or United would raise the cost of the operation.

HKG_Flyer1 Guest

Let me reference this site for you: http://www.dallas-lovefield.com/love...ovechrono.html

Also...prior to DFW Airport Braniff, American, and I believe Texas Int'l or Delta also had fairly sizeable operations at Love. As noted on the site about...all 8 airlines agreed to move over to DFW Airport when it was announced and Love would close. Then Southwest came in and started up and said they won't move.
    Nowhere on the link you reference does it say that "Love would close." The reason it doesn't is because there never was any such agreement.

The Dallas Observer ran a detailed expose on the DFW Airport board and their penchant for mis-stating the facts--- which they do repeatedly.

I invite anyone who is interested to read the article for themselves:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues...feature_1.html

19. Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

Let's see, this week, Sen. Inhofe filed a bill to close the headquarters operation of the largest air carrier in Oklahoma, Southwest Airlines... the party responsible for bringing cheap flights, frequent service and new destinations to both OKC and Tulsa. I wonder what he's got planned for next week?

Gee, the options are limitless. Thank you Sen. Inhofe, for looking out for the welfare of your constituents and representing Oklahoma as a stalwart of free enterprise.
    Yes Southwest does offer services no other airlines do...to Kansas City. St. Louis had service on TWA...now American. Phoenix was all by themselves, but now has America West. Houston - has Continental. Dallas...originated with Central, American, etc...also has American today. Oooo...but they do have Saturday only service to Las Vegas...that Allegiant flies 4 times weekly, America West once daily, and Champion four weekly as well. Unfortunately Southwest has not paid any special attention to Oklahoma City when it comes to bringing new air service. As far as low fares...America West and Frontier would offset any low fare issues should Southwest exit. Also keep in mind...Southwest is not always the lowest fare airline.

IOW, Southwest has not done OKC any favors lately by bringing new nonstop service to east coast business markets or even Florida like most other cities.

20. Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

Because WN mgmt. employees fly their own airline as non-revs to manage their existing operations. Having to fly American, Delta, Continental or United would raise the cost of the operation.
    Or they could just...i dunno...drive? LOL

I see what you are trying to argue, but many other airlines have had res centers away from cities they fly to. Honestly...with a call center operation, they are not moving that many employees back and forth from Dallas.

21. Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

Nowhere on the link you reference does it say that "Love would close." The reason it doesn't is because there never was any such agreement.

The Dallas Observer ran a detailed expose on the DFW Airport board and their penchant for mis-stating the facts--- which they do repeatedly.

I invite anyone who is interested to read the article for themselves:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues...feature_1.html
    No...on the site it doesn't state that, that is from comments made by Mr. Wright who sponsored the legislation. That was the agreement made between Dallas and Fort Worth...to close Love to commercial air traffic.

HKG_Flyer1 Guest

No...on the site it doesn't state that, that is from comments made by Mr. Wright who sponsored the legislation. That was the agreement made between Dallas and Fort Worth...to close Love to commercial air traffic.
    Rep. Wright was "wrong." In all seriousness, there never was any agreement to close Love Field. But you're not alone in believing that to be the case.

It's not the first time he has employed a bit of revisionist history (The article to which I directed you discusses other misstatements by former Rep. Wright).

Yes Southwest does offer services no other airlines do...to Kansas City. St. Louis had service on TWA...now American. Phoenix was all by themselves, but now has America West. Houston - has Continental. Dallas...originated with Central, American, etc...also has American today. Oooo...but they do have Saturday only service to Las Vegas...that Allegiant flies 4 times weekly, America West once daily, and Champion four weekly as well. Unfortunately Southwest has not paid any special attention to Oklahoma City when it comes to bringing new air service. As far as low fares...America West and Frontier would offset any low fare issues should Southwest exit. Also keep in mind...Southwest is not always the lowest fare airline.
    You make some good points, but when one airline leaves it reduces the downward pressure on the airfares of other airlines. OKC is so expensive to fly in and out of in large part due to a lack of competition. This probably affects our O&D numbers as well. We can't really afford to lose any service, even if those markets are served by other airlines.

HKG_Flyer1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    You make some good points, but when one airline leaves it reduces the downward pressure on the airfares of other airlines. OKC is so expensive to fly in and out of in large part due to a lack of competition. This probably affects our O&D numbers as well. We can't really afford to lose any service, even if those markets are served by other airlines.
    I agree with you, BDP. I can't see anything good about Southwest Airlines possibly eliminating service to Dallas due to action by Sen. Inhofe.

25. Default Re: Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

Well, my "inner self" tells me that I should just keep my sentiments to myself, but my "outer self" more commonly prevails ... as it does now ... so please just let my outer self relate the personal opinion of my inner self, but with apologies to any who may be offended, particularly, and including, my inner self, who is telling my outer self to stuff it!

Jim Inhofe is a pinhead. He is such an embarrassment to this state (or, at least, my inner self constituant)! :tweeted:

Thread Information