Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Connecting downtown to Health Sciences Center

Default Re: Connecting downtown to Health Sciences Center

I-235 is not the only problem with connecting the two areas. When I run to Deep Deuce, Lincoln actually presents the bigger impediment.

Isn't Lincoln like 8 lanes across at that point, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Isn't Lincoln like 8 lanes across at that point, too?
    Yes, and that's not even where the problems begin. Here I've highlighted the four problem areas a pedestrian heading from Deep Deuce to the community center across Lincoln Blvd. will face.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lincoln.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	9773

A) The sidewalk is unprotected. A planted verge would be helpful, especially because cars swoop down NE 4th St quickly owing to its poor design.
    B) A proper bicycle lane on each side would help to calm traffic, and encourage active uses from Deep Deuce all the way to Washington Park, across from the anticipated Page Woodson redevelopment.
    C) No building frontage alone the sidewalk. The pedestrian feels exposed and vulnerable.

A) This is busy slip lane. One has to rely on the generosity of each particular vehicle operator in order to be sure that entering the crosswalk will be safe.
    B) Elimination of the slip lane, which will be repurposed into a protected bike lane, and forcing motorists to make right turns at the light like a normal intersection dramatically improves this intersection.

A) 8 lanes of traffic.
    B) The median and slip lanes make this crossing feel more like 10 lanes to the pedestrian.
    C) The width of Lincoln encourages freeway-like speeds. Crossing here is always a gamble with one's life and health at stake.

A) Crossing into Nowhere. The destruction of Deep Deuce's urban fabric ensures that Durland Ave is a dead zone with almost no activity. Building frontages would be very helpful here.
    B) Sidewalk connect directly to Durland Ave, forcing pedestrians into the street itself. The pedestrian then must navigate any vehicles on Durland and then the parking lot in front of the community center before successfully arriving at a sidewalk.
    C) Sidewalk condition is extremely poor. I could not imagine asking a person in a wheelchair to navigate this sidewalk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lincoln.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	9766  

^ Re-reading that, I apologize for the harried and hurried grammar. I had to be out the door right away. Anyway, those points still stand.

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    ^ Re-reading that, I apologize for the harried and hurried grammar. I had to be out the door right away. Anyway, those points still stand.
    A larger picture would be cool. Some of us don't see as well as we used to.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    A larger picture would be cool. Some of us don't see as well as we used to.
    So the stories my father told me about how to lose my eyesight are true?

Does anyone know how to post large images rather than thumbnails?

I think you use the [img] brackets thing instead of clicking the picture button. I think.

Type this exact thing: [IMG][\IMG] then copy and paste the image url or link deal in the middle of the two brackets. Image get big

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Type this exact thing: [IMG][\IMG] then copy and paste the image url or link deal in the middle of the two brackets. Image get big
    Thanks for the assist

It would appear that Google Drive is not a host that plays nice with OKCTalk

12. Default Re: Connecting downtown to Health Sciences Center

Well that's interesting...

More than just interesting, it's downright fascinating.

This project would require a significant infusion of capital. Private and public sector dollars would both be required. We’ve seen significant successes with MAPS I and II, and we’re in the midst of using MAPS III funds to improve quality of life throughout our city. Wouldn’t this project be a natural fit for MAPS IV?

Prescott, a physician and medical researcher, is president of the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation. Email him at omrf-president@omrf.org.
    Works for me. I like the sound of this as a bit of a centerpiece project for MAPS IV.

14. Default Re: Connecting downtown to Health Sciences Center

T.O.M. - Transit Oriented MAPS could be the theme for Maps IV, along with the emphasis on METROpolitan.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    More than just interesting, it's downright fascinating.

Works for me. I like the sound of this as a bit of a centerpiece project for MAPS IV.
    There will not be a MAPS IV. Sorry all.

Blog Entries

I think it is WAY too early to declare the Maps program dead. After all projects are completed, or substantially completed, then the public sentiment will be assessed. The general public will judge much differently than this board membership does. I think it also depends on who our Mayor and other civic leaders are at the time and whether people judge them to be wise and trustworthy.

I agree. But it is also WAY too early to declare the campaign for MAPS 4, given the current situation we are in.

That situation being? I'm having trouble coming up with something going on right now that would no irrecoverably sink a MAPS 4 vote.

Blog Entries

I think that the general public does not have a level of discomfort with anything going on to any degree that this board exhibits. Most look at maps and take a more generalized look at the body of work and think it has by and large been highly successful. I think they don't expect everything to be without issues, but in the end judge whether everything was worth it. Based on that, it is much easier to imagine another MAPS passing than it failing or not be put forward for a vote.

20. Default Re: Connecting downtown to Health Sciences Center

Now you are just being a troll,

That's funny that saying one bad thing about MAPS IV constitutes being a troll. I agree with Rover that OKC Talk is a fascinating vacuum where endless sunshine pumping collides with eternal pessimism, and similarly there is an extent to which the public thinks in binary - and if it aint bad, then it good.

MAPS I had a very contentious finish, and it's truly amazing that Humphreys won the city over again amidst all of the controversy, by pitching a universally desirable future that we could make possible. Two very interesting things are happening though in OKC, and one is that its real leadership has not and never will change the way it thinks (which does erode public will after a loooong time), and secondly that the citizens are getting complacent. If $50/barrel oil is here to stay, that will change as people lose jobs and equity.

Enter MAPS IV - it all comes down to what and why. If what your pitching is transit, why? You just screwed transit in the last MAPS because it was apparently not as important as the convention sector. Then it all comes down to whether the RAIL streetcar was delivered exactly as promised. That is very, very, very important to the future of the MAPS brand.

So however sure you are of the transit component's success, that's where you should place your bets on MAPS IV if it is indeed transit like we mostly expect. I also suspect the powers that be can find a way to keep that funding from going toward transit. I'm not saying MAPS IV won't happen, but just that it's too soon to tell, and I find the optimism that's already gearing up for MAPS IV to be extremely presumptive.

22. Default Re: Connecting downtown to Health Sciences Center

That's funny that saying one bad thing about MAPS IV constitutes being a troll.
    Troll - One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

I would call saying this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    is the definition of being a troll, especially since you completely contradicted yourself i you very next post.

I'm not saying MAPS IV won't happen, but just that it's too soon to tell, and I find the optimism that's already gearing up for MAPS IV to be extremely presumptive.

I guess you gotta start racking up those message board contributions somehow.

I on the otherhand just say what needs to be said and let the chips fall where they may. It's just a message board.

24. Default Re: Connecting downtown to Health Sciences Center

I guess you gotta start racking up those message board contributions somehow.
    Ironic coming from someone with over 11,000 posts

I on the otherhand just say what needs to be said and let the chips fall where they may.
    So what needed to be said, that MAPS IV wasn't going to happen or that you're not saying that it's not going to happen? Because you said both.

It just seems that sometimes some people feel like they can say outrageous things in an intelligent forum and not be held accountable. If you don't like be called a troll, don't say trollish things.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Ironic coming from someone with over 11,000 posts

So what needed to be said, that MAPS IV wasn't going to happen or that you're not saying that it's not going to happen? Because you said both.

It just seems that sometimes some people feel like they can say outrageous things in an intelligent forum and not be held accountable. If you don't like be called a troll, don't say trollish things.
    So then you agree or disagree on counting on a future MAPS IV?

Thread Information