Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Connecting downtown to Health Sciences Center

Default Re: Connecting downtown to Health Sciences Center

Neat idea. Wish we had done exactly this with the new MAPS 3 Park and new I-40.

Damn ODOT.

Default Re: I-240/Centennial Park concept

Cuatro de Mayo is at it again. Good lord will someone get him a gig on the OKC planning staff even if only as a consultant in common sense and vision? (That isn't meant to demean the folks on the planning staff now - they have a pretty tough draw in the city staff power structure.)

Any one have a spare 1,000,000,000 dollars.

I don't see any highway off-ramps for anyone going north or southbound on I-235.

Really like this concept. It needs to be updated with the GE Research Center at NE 10 & Walnut.

Great idea.

Yes & yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Any one have a spare 1,000,000,000 dollars.
    I pictured you saying that in character as Dr Evil!

Wow. Yes.

10. Default Re: I-240/Centennial Park concept

Lazio85 makes a good point; those ramps are probably the most-used access to downtown (and OUHSC) from other parts of the city. Removing that access altogether would probably have some crippling unintended consequences. But it seems there could probably be some sort of solution/tweak that addresses this.

11. Thumbs up Re: Connecting downtown to Health Sciences Center

just a point, isn't this "I-235" and not I-240?

Anyway, Love the new "Centennial Park" over I-235 yet still maintaining the freeway passage. Hope this idea gains traction and reality someday.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Here is a section of the E5 around Paris. If you get a chance go to Google Earth and see how much they have built over this highway.

Wouldn't the area above I-235 be perfect for the a new soccer stadium in OKC?

Blog Entries

In Cuatro's map 235 comes out of the ground at 4th, meaning having a stadium in Bricktown wouldn't work, as the highway would have to elevate to get over the river and I-40. In that scenario, I'm not sure between 4th and 10th and between downtown proper and HSC is the best place for a stadium because it creates a new divide, which we're trying to get rid of by burying 235, right?

That all depends on what the site plan looks like. If they put a giant surface parking lot around the stadium, then yes, that would create a barrier. If they made it a neighborhood stadium then it would increase walkability. The stadium I posted above has housing units within 100 feet of it. The no-mans land along the I-235 corridor is nearly 1000 feet wide.

OIPA
    Toby Keith Kids Corral
    Embassy Suites
    GE

Is there really any interest in making the HSC area walkable and connecting it to a streetcar line?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Wouldn't the area above I-235 be perfect for the a new soccer stadium in OKC?
    JTF, ...that would be a great spot for the New MLS Soccer / Olympic Stadium. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Lazio85 makes a good point; those ramps are probably the most-used access to downtown (and OUHSC) from other parts of the city. Removing that access altogether would probably have some crippling unintended consequences. But it seems there could probably be some sort of solution/tweak that addresses this.
    For example, I would have to exit at 13th street and drive through all of Automobile Alley to get to work everyday. Easily increasing my commute time with current new developments for everything between there and Midtown (not complaining that is a good thing). I will play around with this concept as well and get it out here as soon as possible. Great work on what you have developed so far CuatrodeMayo!

Steve's update on what is being looked at and considered.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5364931?embargo=1

After spurning commercial and retail development for three decades, a sharp reversal is about to take place in the 300-acre area sometimes known as the Oklahoma Health Center, or the Health Sciences District, or the OU Medical Center.
    The answer being pursued by the area’s biggest players is an “innovation district,” which would add some color and vibrancy to what is now a very institutional neighborhood.
    A Brookings Institute report released in June provided Williams with inspiration; the analysis showed how cities across the world are creating “innovation districts” out of old industrialized areas, suburban science and research parks, and around institutions located in or near central city downtowns.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Steve's update on what is being looked at and considered.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5364931?embargo=1
    Hell. Yes.

This is what we've been begging for. I'm really excited for this.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    This is what we've been begging for. I'm really excited for this.
    +1

The urbanization of this area, combined with a plan to heal the scar caused by the Broadway extension, would be phenomenal.

Blog Entries

The first steps are underway, with a resolution of support approved by the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority on Tuesday. As all the area’s involved organizations sign on, a consultant will be hired and plans will be drawn up on how to recruit developers and determine whether a new governing body is needed.
    This area (HSC) will integrate a collage of various key research components along with a school to develop the state's top math & science students. The future of our city (medical, biomedical, pharmaceutical, oil & gas technology), a 'Rembrandt' for research & technology in our backyard. A real tapestry of talent in an area to be redeveloped.

G.E. Global Research Center, OKC . . . . . . . Charles & Peggy Stephenson Cancer Center . . . . . . Children's' Hospital

V.A. Hospital . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . OU College of Medicine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . OU PHF Research Park

Someone needs to figure out something and come up with a solution for this area?

Does Oklahoma City have any 'clue' about the potential this area possesses.

There will be more spin-off firms as the G.E. Global Research Technology Center and the research industry expands & develops.

After my doctor's appointment, I walked this area for a bit and drove around it for a little while. I'm convinced that just a bit of savvy retrofitting and an urban building code for future projects could make this area very walkable. It's not as far gone as seems. Some basic requirements will be:

1. Mixed use developments on surface lots, including residential/retail/commercial
    2. Eliminating the grassy moats fronting NE 10th St
    3. A possible tower or two to consolidate a couple of the lower land-use value offices.
    4. This area could use both a cultural anchor and a recreational anchor of some sort.
    5. Lincoln and Lottie represent real opportunities to connect downtown to the Eastside -- there needs to be some way to make these attractive, invited boulevards

Thread Information