Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Guyutes

Default Re: Guyutes

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    What are Mesta residents saying on nextdoor.com? I tried to get on and see but i guess you have to live in Mesta. Are they still upset with Guyutes or has it shifted to Daebak?
    9 out of 10 people who are commenting on the thread are in support of both developments. There are also at least 13 "Thanks" which I guess are the same as facebook "likes" on the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    What are Mesta residents saying on nextdoor.com? I tried to get on and see but i guess you have to live in Mesta. Are they still upset with Guyutes or has it shifted to Daebak?
    Now that some of us are speaking out in support of these developments, it seems to be backing down the opposition a little. Back when Guyutes was proposed, there weren't a ton of people on next door yet and the only information posted was about how and where to protest it. It appears that with more users came more proponents of development, several even live on 22nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone cannot make the OKC Planning Committee Meeting on Thursday, April 24th at 1:30 p.m. and would like to show support for GUYUTES, if it is easier, please feel free to send an email to guyutes23@gmail.com - If you send an email, please include your name and address and list why you are in support of Uptown 23rd Street and GUYUTES. Thanks so much! Also feel free to sign the petition that Pete set up for those wanting to support the development on N.W. 23rd Street UPTOWN area & GUYTUES. Again, here is the link for the petition: MoveOn Petitions - Support of Guyutes and Daebak K in OKC's Uptown District - Thanks!

I am planning on being there in support.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I am planning on being there in support.
    Same here. I plan to start going to all of these honestly as much as I can to try and at least do my part to help the city succeed.

Just a reminder that the meeting regarding the Uptown 23rd Development and specifically regarding GUYUTES with the OKC Planning Committee is this Thursday, April 24th at 1:30 p.m. The location of the meeting is at the Oklahoma City Planning Commission, 200 N. Walker, Municipal Building, 3rd floor. Your presence and support at this meeting would be a huge help to the owners of GUYUTES. Many people have spoken of their positive support of the re-development of N.W. 23rd Street UPTOWN area and specifically their support of GUYUTES, so now is the time to let your voice be heard. If you cannot attend the meeting, please take the time to write an email to guyutes23@gmail.com stating your name and address and the reasons you are in support of this area and GUYUTES. A quick shout out to Plutonic Panda and Catch22 for coming to the meeting. I know the Guyutes owners are very appreciative of your support and thankful that you will be in attendance at the meeting. Please help them spread the word and see if you can get others to join you as well. I am ready for GUYUTES to open.... I know it's going to be awesome!

Best of luck! Hopefully we can get some more people to attend and/or speak.

FYI this goes back to planning commission. Tomorrow. 2 protest letters in the agenda. 98 pages of support. Including tons of personal letter and the online petition.

Hope to see supporters at the meeting tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. at the Oklahoma City Planning Commission, 200 N. Walker, Municipal Building, 3rd floor. Thanks BoulderSooner for your info. Catch22 & Plutonic Panda, I hope to see you at the meeting. Glad to know that pages 98 pages of support and personal letters have made their way to the Planning Commission. That is Good News!

I'll be there. Honestly don't know what I'm going say, but I will support any way I can and have some sort of a speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I'll be there. Honestly don't know what I'm going say, but I will support any way I can and have some sort of a speech.
    Remind them that parking is not required and that you hope the city would be prodevelopment on a commercial street. Also remind then that public street are PUBLIC. and that if HH/ mesta want to change the parking on the streets that front their houses the parking commission is the proper venue

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Remind them that parking is not required and that you hope the city would be prodevelopment on a commercial street. Also remind then that public street are PUBLIC. and that if HH/ mesta want to change the parking on the streets that front their houses the parking commission is the proper venue
    BOOM! ::headshot::

Here is an interesting Gazette article complete with names of the people complaining:

Growing pains

Commercial growth in the Uptown district has some residents concerned with parking, noise and historic preservation.

Ben Felder

April 23rd, 2014

Residents of Heritage Hills, south of NW 23rd Street, successfully lobbied the Oklahoma City Council last week to deny a rezoning request for a new medical spa on Broadway.

Some neighbors are also pushing back on two new restaurants planned for 23rd Street that they say could cause traffic issues on the residential streets close to the growing commercial district north of downtown.

“We are all for responsible development, but we cannot live somewhere that [has] constant late-night noise and can’t take the loss in property value to move,” said Uptown resident Kyle Walker in a letter to City Hall last month.

Walker, along with at least five other residents in Heritage Hills and Mesta Park, wrote letters to City Hall expressing their opposition to two planned restaurants along 23rd Street that they believe will increase traffic and noise.

One of the proposed restaurants, Daebak K, will offer Korean barbecue and will feature a rooftop patio facing 23rd Street. Some residents have complained that the rooftop patio will cause noise issues and patrons will park on their residential streets.

Supporters of the restaurant responded with an online petition that was turned into City Hall last week with over 700 signatures of support.

“I like being a part of Uptown 23rd,” said Truong Le, owner of the proposed Daebak K restaurant and the current Guernsey Park restaurant. “I think it’s going to continue to grow, and we are actively going up and down this street to find new spots to possibly open new kinds of businesses.”

Le said he understood the concern some residents might have about traffic but added that the new restaurant will include at least 30 parking spaces. He also said the rooftop patio was not being painted in the best light by opponents.

“I think there is a misconception that because we have a rooftop patio, its going to be a bar,” Le said. “I want to make it clear. We are a restaurant. We want to continue to open restaurants and be good neighbors.”

Guyutes is another restaurant planned for 23rd Street that has drawn some opposition from nearby residents. Both Daebak K and Guyutes plan to open in late 2014 or early 2015.

City staff has said no building permits have been submitted for the proposed restaurants and reviews are yet to be made by the Urban Design Commission.

Recommendations
    A recent study by the University of Oklahoma Institute for Quality Communities on the Uptown district made recommendations on ways to improve traffic flow and walkability.

“It’s important to address walkability because of the enormous potential it presents,” the report stated. “Over 4,000 people live within a 10-minute walk of the center of the district, and over 40,000 within a 10-minute bike [ride].”

Promoting walkability might also be a way to cut down on traffic caused by residents who live close to the district. An IQC survey found that 71 percent of residents living within a half mile of Uptown drive to the district instead of biking or walking.

With many neighborhoods surrounding 23rd Street designated as Historical Preservation Districts, some residents have also fought against commercial development that might spill into the neighborhood.

Last week, a group of citizens from the Heritage Hills neighborhood convinced the city council to deny an application for rezoning on a lot near the intersection of NW 22nd Street and Broadway Avenue.

The owners of Mariposa Spa proposed a new building on 22nd Street, which would result in the removal of a few dilapidated homes. However, representatives of the neighborhood said it would create a slippery slope.

“If we start nibbling away at the edges [of the Historical Preservation District], where does it stop?” asked Randy Ice, president of the Heritage Hills East Neighborhood Association.

The council voted 4-3 to deny the rezoning request.

Oklahoma Gazette News: Growing pains

Anyone who thinks Daebak K will decrease their property value needs to have their head examined. When does an empty, weedy lot ever help property values more than a well-maintained, well-designed restaurant, especially one that is not a chain? The same goes for Guyutes. I mentioned it here before, but one of the most amusing recent conversations I had was with a friend who lives in Nichols Hills, as do her millenial daughter and her husband. The daughter is moving to Heritage Hills and my friend incredulously said, "One of the reasons is because they want to be close to 23rd St.!" A 23rd St. with nice restaurants and retail will only drive housing prices in Heritage Hills and Mesta Park higher.

Mariposa Spa needs to be looking for an older house to rehab, not tear down existing properties.

I do think it's time for the city to begin to create neighborhood parking districts with parking permits, ala Chicago, as we have discussed. It gives residents of a neighborhood some peace of mind, makes some money for the city, and forces people to rethink driving to places if they can walk. It puts pressure on the city to improve mass transit as well.

"but we cannot live somewhere that [has] constant late-night noise" - This is a false statement. Yes, you can live somewhere that has constant late-night noise. People do this all over the world. Google it.

"and can’t take the loss in property value to move,” - This statement is just stupidity.

I understand the complaint of living on the fringe of a commercial district, but should understand that THEY ARE LIVING ON THE FRINGE OF A COMMERCIAL DISTRICT.

There is something called sensory habituation. The brain stops recognizing sounds that are habitual. For instance, for about 48-72 hours I noticed daytime train noises after moving downtown. I noticed nighttime train noise a bit longer. For a year or two, I enjoyed noticing the Amtrak "toot toot" every morning and evening. Now, I don't even hear that. Constant noise is actually easier to adjust to than intermittent noise. Poor argument.

So insane. Do they not know that a successful 23d ST might drive out the blight. I would much rather live near restaurants and bars than a freaking plasma donation center. To be completely honest I did donate plasma there once.

The Mariposa Spa was a completely different situation where the owners were seeking to demolish a couple of existing homes on Broadway and build a small commercial building. I can understand why that might be denied, even though it fronted on Broadway just south of 23rd.

BTW, Guyutes and Daebak K were both unanimously approved by the Urban Design Committee yesterday.

Today, there is the Planning Commission meeting where they will consider the ABC permit for Guyutes. Daebak K already has their liquor license, so they will be good to go.

Excellent. Is there anything else that could stand in the way of these two developments, or is it a done deal regarding approval from the city?

Daebak K now has clear sailing.

But Guyutes needs to get liquor license approval at today's Planning Commission meeting.

I just watched the video from yesterday's Urban Design Committee...

One really interesting bit: The future proprietors of Guyutes met with the president of the homeowners association and conducted a sound test where they placed a speaker on top of the existing building and turned it up full blast. Then they walked over to 22nd Street and discovered they couldn't hear it at all.

There is so much white noise for 23rd as it is -- traffic, Harleys, etc. -- that any music or talking from the outside spaces at this project will not effect the residents at all.

And even though there are no specific parking requirements, they made arrangements for 30 extra spaces on the NW corner of Shartel & 23rd.

I actually have a lot of trust in the committee members of the UDC and I hope the Planning Commission that meets today to consider the liquor license shows as much common sense and doesn't get sidetracked by a few people who really don't have valid objections.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Mariposa Spa was a completely different situation where the owners were seeking to demolish a couple of existing homes on Broadway and build a small commercial building. I can understand why that might be denied, even though it fronted on Broadway just south of 23rd.
    They also sought rezoning from HP to commercial.

Just a note that this guyutes app was only for the front patio. The rest if of the app was previously approved

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I understand. Still plan on being there today even though it might not be needed now. I'll say something if I need to. I'll be the guy in some sandy tan pants and a turquoise t-shirt

Thread Information