Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Guyutes

Default Re: Guyutes

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Like I've said before, don't lump us all together. These people are in the minority and consist mainly of people living on 21st and 22nd. I think most of the hh/mp residents are for these projects, but as we all know, the opposition is usually louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MP resident here... I'm on 22nd and I am in support of these projects. I think you are right about the opposition being a loud minority opinion. It happens everywhere, Edmond to Downtown. People just get bored and want to complain about something. I think, and hope, this will pass.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    That would truly make OKC big league! I bet OKVision4U can make everyone in Mesta Park happy by building a 75 store, spinning, sex-shop tower.
    It would have to be a stunning obelisk!

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I don't know about you all, but I'm starting to become concerned that the sex shop is not happening. There's been no discussion about it recently. Nothing. And what about the planned pawn shop and body piercing gallery? Again, nothing. Has Steve mentioned these on his chat? This is yet another example of a developer overpromising and underdelivering in OKC!

I hear they're going to build in Tulsa, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTonte View Post
    MP resident here... I'm on 22nd and I am in support of these projects. I think you are right about the opposition being a loud minority opinion. It happens everywhere, Edmond to Downtown. People just get bored and want to complain about something. I think, and hope, this will pass.
    Don't just hope. If you live on 22nd then your voice speaks a lot louder than others. Think about sending an e-mail or attending a meeting (if you haven't already).

So no one in Mesta Park batted an eye when the plasma clinic and pawnshops moved in? I'd like to know what kind of resistance those met when they set up shop on 23rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I hear they're going to build in Tulsa, instead.
    Dammit. Why does Tulsa get everything first?

7. Default Re: Guyutes

Plasma clinic and pawn shops moved in when Mesta Park was known as "Messed Up Park" to Heritage Hills residents and many homes there (and even in HH) were chopped up into multifamily. Believe it or not that neighborhood was seriously sketchy in seventies and eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Plasma clinic and pawn shops moved in when Mesta Park was known as "Messed Up Park" to Heritage Hills residents and many homes there (and even in HH) were chopped up into multifamily. Believe it or not that neighborhood was seriously sketchy in seventies and eighties.
    And we could find ourselves right back there again if the sex bar (Guyutes) is approved by the city.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    And we could find ourselves right back there again if the sex bar (Guyutes) is approved by the city.
    I thought it was going to be an S&M bar? Why do they keep moving the goal posts? (shaking fists at the sky)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTonte View Post
    Are you in the nextdoor mesta park group?

What OKC needs is a full-time urban community activist to keep track of all these issues and mobilize people. If I lived there I would volunteer for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    What OKC needs is a full-time urban community activist to keep track of all these issues and mobilize people. If I lived there I would volunteer for the job.
    Isn't that what this site is already?!?

Are you in the nextdoor mesta park group?

Yes, but I need to check it more often. It looks like some of the more reasonable neighbors have started adding their comments recently. I will do the same.

Guyutes is not going to be a Sex Bar....? I don't know where you received your information, but it is not correct. It is going to be an up-scale restaurant/bar. From what I know, the owners have been working on the concept for several years and plan on serving great quality food and have a full service bar with a large offering of different beers, wine etc. I look forward to this business opening and I know it is going to be an asset to the Uptown 23rd Street Development and the OKC area in general.

Quote Originally Posted by LAJJ View Post
    Guyutes is not going to be a Sex Bar....? I don't know where you received your information, but it is not correct. It is going to be an up-scale restaurant/bar. From what I know, the owners have been working on the concept for several years and plan on serving great quality food and have a full service bar with a large offering of different beers, wine etc. I look forward to this business opening and I know it is going to be an asset to the Uptown 23rd Street Development and the OKC area in general.
    Welcome to the site, JJ.

The sex bar reference was supposed to be a joke.

It was a reference to The Edge Midtown apartments where a protester suggested that in future years storefronts could include a "sex shop."

Here is the article Steve Lackmeyer did: MidTown housing development wins approval from design committee | Phillips Murrah, PC

17. Default Re: Guyutes

In all honesty this city could use a good sex bar, though.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    In all honesty this city could use a good sex bar, though.
    Who couldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Welcome to the site, JJ.

The sex bar reference was supposed to be a joke.
    I thought the reference might be sarcasm but I wanted to clarify and didn't want to see any additional mis-conceptions keeping these guys from moving forward on what should be a very cool place in Uptown.

This is a long running inside joke, which started when some Heritage Hills NIMBYs unashamedly claimed in a city hearing that they were opposed to the Edge apartments out of fear the street-level retail spaces would be leased to sex shops, pawn shops and tattoo parlors. It has provided comedic fodder for years.

I don't know about you all, but I'm starting to become concerned that the sex shop is not happening. There's been no discussion about it recently. Nothing. And what about the planned pawn shop and body piercing gallery? Again, nothing. Has Steve mentioned these on his chat? This is yet another example of a developer overpromising and underdelivering in OKC!

More failed development promises. We're never going to catch up to Charlotte or St. Louis at this rate.

This is a long running inside joke, which started when some Heritage Hills NIMBYs unashamedly claimed in a city hearing that they were opposed to the Edge apartments out of fear the street-level retail spaces would be leased to sex shops, pawn shops and tattoo parlors. It has provided comedic fodder for years.
    I get it now, I figured it must be a joke, but I just joined this site and wanted to make sure that mis-info wasn't circulating about GUYUTES... I read the article from the link posted above.... fear and the idea of change makes people do crazy stuff.... GUYUTES will be a great place, and many of us are looking forward to it's opening.

23. Default Re: Guyutes

Who couldn't?
    It would need its own parking garage

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    It would need its own parking garage
    Nah, people could just park in the rear...

</rimshot>

Thread Information