Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Guyutes

Default Re: Guyutes

^ it seems to me bar has a different meaning here in OKC.

It's an evil place to most. Where prostitutes and drunks spend their time. Drinking in spite of The Lord, and anointing themselves in the sins of the world. And parking their cars on a city street.

And that's the perception. Some dive bars are like that,but all of the new trendy bars in OKC have been tremendously successful, and have not led to any noticeable increase in neighborhood deterioration; in fact it's been the opposite. The neighborhoods embracing trendy restaurants and bars have absolutely flourished. In the 21st century, bars are a social scene. A place to meet and greet as much as meet and drink. In most cities they are assets to a neighborhood. Here they are a deterrent, at least in the minds of some.

I'm glad to see that most of you are smarter than the average bear. I love hearing the comments and support. Please come to the next planning hearing fo Guyutes and VOICE your support. One person spoke in support of Guyutes with the pull of Uptown 23rd behind him and it did nothing. Two people from Mesta were able to block this, if more supporters came out(especially if they live in Mesta) the result could have been different. Or Mesta might have such a stronghold on city politics that it wouldn't matter. Anyways PLEASE COME SUPPORT THIS PROJECT SO THIS DOESN'T BECOME A PRECEDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C.A.V.E people! Citizens Against Virtually Everything. They exist everywhere. If the Commission gives this credence, they risk wading into arbitrary and capricious territory. At least that's my opinion.

You know, it's crap like this that makes the "why are they only improving downtown" argument so ridiculous. Here you have public and private money going into improving infrastructure and quality of life, and it's blocked by NIMBYs. Maybe we should focus on Downtown, Midtown, Bricktown and other areas that don't deal with stuff like this first. Mesta Park can keep its fast food drive-thrus and plasma donation centers.

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    I'm glad to see that most of you are smarter than the average bear. I love hearing the comments and support. Please come to the next planning hearing fo Guyutes and VOICE your support. One person spoke in support of Guyutes with the pull of Uptown 23rd behind him and it did nothing. Two people from Mesta were able to block this, if more supporters came out(especially if they live in Mesta) the result could have been different. Or Mesta might have such a stronghold on city politics that it wouldn't matter. Anyways PLEASE COME SUPPORT THIS PROJECT SO THIS DOESN'T BECOME A PRECEDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Provide a reminder again and an e-mail and hopefully this site will be more than talk.

Blog Entries

Brilliant! Create a site called "okcaction.com" posting the places and dates we need to show up for support, complete with reminder SMS functions and iCal buttons for additions to calendars....

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    I live in mesta park. I'll do what I can to gather support for it. There are a bunch of us here that are behind you despite the handful of nimby's that are messing this up. My only concerns on this were parking and late night noise but you've done more than enough to handle those issues.

It's a bar/restaurant on a major commercial street...trying to dictate your hours is freaking ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also live in Mesta Park and support development along 23rd. I found out about the last meeting the night before, by asking on OKCTALK. No notice was given to me by the neighborhood association, other than the newsletter informing us of all the wrong types of developments (i.e. the proposed music venue). So maybe we can quit the mob mentality against the residents of Mesta Park.

When is the next planning meeting that is discussing this venue so I can come out and show support?

Quote Originally Posted by musg8411 View Post
    I also live in Mesta Park and support development along 23rd. I found out about the last meeting the night before, by asking on OKCTALK. No notice was given to me by the neighborhood association, other than the newsletter informing us of all the wrong types of developments (i.e. the proposed music venue). So maybe we can quit the mob mentality against the residents of Mesta Park.

When is the next planning meeting that is discussing this venue so I can come out and show support?
    If you sign up for the Mesta Park "Next Door" thingy you would have gotten notice on this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    If you sign up for the Mesta Park "Next Door" thingy you would have gotten notice on this as well.
    Thanks and now a member.

Quote Originally Posted by musg8411 View Post
    Thanks and now a member.
    You'll find, unfortunately, that it is mostly about missing dogs. But there is other stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    You'll find, unfortunately, that it is mostly about missing dogs. But there is other stuff too.
    I'll start a thread supporting the development on Next Door if you all think it would be a good idea. Just back me up on it! haha

This is absolutely ridiculous. I have two residences, one being on 23rd and the other being in Deep Deuce. I hear noise quite often late as the one on 23rd is near Cheever's and Grandad's and the one in deep deuce is above WSKY. With that being said, what else can they expect in urban areas in a metropolitan area that is growing?

The thing that baffles me is that the sirens from the 5 ambulances and cop cars a night HAVE to be louder than a few patrons leaving a bar at 2 am. I hear atleast 4-5 sirens a night plus atleast 1 train when I'm staying on 23rd. I understand they live in an "affluent" neighborhood where prices are high but this isn't Oak Tree or Nichols Hills, this is downtown OKC. If having peace and quiet at your $400,000 home is important, don't buy one that is within 100 yards of a 4 lane main road in the heart of the city.

In other news, Mesta Park residents oppose new convention center due to the chance that the increase in convention goers will cause an average of three more cars to pass through the neighborhood every month.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    In other news, Mesta Park residents oppose new convention center due to the chance that the increase in convention goers will cause an average of three more cars to pass through the neighborhood every month.
    Actually, remember that when the Edge was first proposed some complained about the possibility of the new residents using "their" park.

And of course, famously, expressed open concern about the possibility of sex shops in that same complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Actually, remember that when the Edge was first proposed some complained about the possibility of the new residents using "their" park.

And of course, famously, expressed open concern about the possibility of sex shops in that same complex.
    Simply stunning, most of our residents don't even use "our" park.

Have they said anything more about when the sex shop will be opening?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Have they said anything more about when the sex shop will be opening?

That would truly make OKC big league! I bet OKVision4U can make everyone in Mesta Park happy by building a 75 store, spinning, sex-shop tower.

I don't know about you all, but I'm starting to become concerned that the sex shop is not happening. There's been no discussion about it recently. Nothing. And what about the planned pawn shop and body piercing gallery? Again, nothing. Has Steve mentioned these on his chat? This is yet another example of a developer overpromising and underdelivering in OKC!

While NIMBY's can be a bit over dramatic at times, I will give them one thing ... there is something just a tad unsettling about the notion of having a pawn shop conveniently located next to a sex toy store and piercing shoppe. Jus' sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I don't know about you all, but I'm starting to become concerned that the sex shop is not happening. There's been no discussion about it recently. Nothing. And what about the planned pawn shop and body piercing gallery? Again, nothing. Has Steve mentioned these on his chat? This is yet another example of a developer overpromising and underdelivering in OKC!

Awesome

HH/MP and the like make me hate preservationists. And I'm as big a preservationist as there is.

These folks have got to be in the minority, as everyone else I know that lives in these areas do nothing but brag about all the development coming.

Secondly, maybe they weren't there when I passed by today, or it wasn't allowed, but I thought I would have seen the involved parties in the "bars to come soon" have representation in front of their buildings at Open Streets, drumming up interest for their places.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    HH/MP and the like make me hate preservationists. And I'm as big a preservationist as there is.
    Like I've said before, don't lump us all together. These people are in the minority and consist mainly of people living on 21st and 22nd. I think most of the hh/mp residents are for these projects, but as we all know, the opposition is usually louder.

These NIMBY's need to accept they are part of a growing, gentrifying urban neighborhood or they need to sell and move to Edmond.

Thread Information