Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Guyutes

Default Re: Guyutes

Something about drinking on a roof top is hard to beat. Went to Chicago earlier this year and enjoyed four different roof top establishments, all great atmospheres. Looks like a pretty sizable bar up there too.

It seams each new development has put a street side patio on 23rd. Hopefully this will create a push for a more walkable 23rd street. I wish The Rise could move their rooftop patio to the 23rd side rather than the rear of the building to further encourage this.

Great win, however I wish these new developments would push a zero lot line with either their outdoor seating or extending the building to the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Great win, however I wish these new developments would push a zero lot line with either their outdoor seating or extending the building to the sidewalk.
    This is like pushing a boulder uphill, Metro. We celebrate this ingenuity and investment, but OKC gonna OKC. It's EXTREMELY HARD to get people and institutions here to recognize the benefits of building quality urban development. It is a continuous and continuing battle.

Oh I agree, don't get me wrong. I just wish more developers, biz owners and city officials understood the term urban development and zero lot lines.

Nm

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Oh I agree, don't get me wrong. I just wish more developers, biz owners and city officials understood the term urban development and zero lot lines.
    Me too. :/

Going back to Urban Design on Jan 22nd. Hopefully it will pass this time!!

Guyutes passes UDC! Construction to begin soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^looking forward to how this place turns out and how it will transform the area/intersection.

Sadly the patio at street level fronting the building . Was not approved and was continued

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Sadly the patio at street level fronting the building . Was not approved and was continued
    Just to be clear (looks like autocorrect got to your post), there won't be a patio facing the street? That's a bummer, though that roof space should be nice.

Looks to me like he was saying that the patio was not approved this time around but continued for another Review, ostensibly with modifications being necessary for approval. I'd bet they're still planning on doing the patio.

Yes, let's them get under construction while time to iron out a "short-order" item (The patio doesn't need much lead time, and would come last in construction anyway).

Why was there concern over this passing UDC?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Why was there concern over this passing UDC?
    Neighborhood protest.

Wow. I have never seen a neighborhood so protective of it's surrounding dilapidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Neighborhood protest.
    By protesting everything they're really going to alienate themselves from their neighbors. Very disappointing.

CAVE people; Citizens Against Virtually Everything.

I worry that HH is seeing protest on our part and thinking that's the way to advocate for better, but the thing is we only protest in very specific situations that fall for it.

21. Default Re: Guyutes

You think HH at large is even aware of this board or the posters on it? Highly doubtful, especially among the ones who are most apt to be NIMBY.

Also, is there any indication that it was specifically HH who lodged the "neighborhood protest"? A couple of other neighborhoods are directly adjacent; HH is several blocks away.

I believe it was just a nearby neighbor or two, not the organized HH group.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe it was just a nearby neighbor or two, not the organized HH group.
    Isn't the HH anti-sex shop bunch organizing against a music venue?

If certain HH members are determined to protest every project in the area then I guess it seems that others from the neighborhood need to speak out (and maybe they are?) to offset these voices on reasonable projects (like this one). This seems necessary so the entire neighborhood doesn't get a bad rap, right?

The problem is that a few loud negative voices carry a lot of weight, usually out of proportion to their numbers. That happens with committees, councils, etc. all the time. And the pro people tend not to show up as consistently.

Thread Information