Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 22 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 548

Thread: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

  1. #1

    Default Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Great news for the city of Austin!! Love this town










    QuestBack software firm considers HQ move to Austin - Austin Business Journal

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,337
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    "We're expecting to move quickly and have about 50 people [in Austin] or up to 75." Can't Austin do better than that?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    "We're expecting to move quickly and have about 50 people [in Austin] or up to 75." Can't Austin do better than that?
    I would assume certain tech companies would not have very many employees. This is good for Austin, although I'd rather have it here in OKC.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    "We're expecting to move quickly and have about 50 people [in Austin] or up to 75." Can't Austin do better than that?
    Well, since you want to know. How about this for more proof!



    Austin retains ranking as No. 1 economy in the U.S. - Austin Business Journal

  5. #5

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Austin is an amazing city and a true boomtown. I wouldn't mind living there myself though I prefer Dallas or Houston. The question is though, even though they have a great job market is it still near impossible to land a good job there? A few years ago, even with the stellar job growth it still wasn't enough to keep up with the influx of people. The number of applicants to open job ratio was so high that it was far easier to land a job in places with statistically much worse economies. I would imagine that is still the case.

    OKC on the other hand I would imagine has a relatively low job seeker to open position ratio making this an easy place to open doors that may not be available to you elsewhere.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Austin has been atop of every economic development poll out here for the last few years, Austin is a different animal, so much growth and economic development, but 15 years ago, it was at the bottom, nonetheless Austin continues to grow and dominate in every fashion.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    OKC could just as easily experience an Austin type boom or larger in the next 5-10 years

  8. #8

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Austin has been atop of every economic development poll out here for the last few years, Austin is a different animal, so much growth and economic development, but 15 years ago, it was at the bottom, nonetheless Austin continues to grow and dominate in every fashion.
    Part of the reason Austin is doing so well is its media hype and positive national perception. Austin is a place people WANT to live and get excited about. It offers more than a great job market. It offers a great quality of life with a cutting edge arts/cultural scene and progressive atmosphere. It's a great place to be single even if you are in your late twenties and early thirties. It also offers great suburbs and family life for those looking for that. The hill country also offers excellent opportunities for outdoor recreation that you aren't able to find in Dallas, Houston, or OKC. Austin is an all around great city seemingly with something for everybody.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    It's really not that complicated, there is only one thing that keeps Austin booming, professional high-tech paying jobs. After that, comes everything else...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    It's really not that complicated, there is only one thing that keeps Austin booming, professional high-tech paying jobs. After that, comes everything else...
    Wow. Disagree. It's first and foremost the quality of life and the availability of a highly educated work force. People want to live in Austin. High tech, high-paying employers tend to locate where they have access to a high quality talent pool.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    It's really not that complicated, there is only one thing that keeps Austin booming, professional high-tech paying jobs. After that, comes everything else...
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Wow. Disagree. It's first and foremost the quality of life and the availability of a highly educated work force. People want to live in Austin. High tech, high-paying employers tend to locate where they have access to a high quality talent pool.
    Both are actually true, it is a chicken/egg argument at this point because they have the momentum. Right now there there are way more job seekers than jobs in the tech industry because of the changing landscape of tech and the influx of people moving there without a job. Some love it and eventually find something and some move onto some other place. Tech is still a pretty hard industry to get into because of the surplus of talent available. A friend who moved there from OKC in 1988 worked in the semiconductor industry for a lot of years until it closed up shop. They moved back to OKC for awhile and then back to Austin, he just got a job at the Samsung plant after trying to get out of the tech sector for awhile.

    When I moved there in 2003 (to get married) it took me two years to find a job (did contract work in the interim) because of the tech bust that happened in the post Y2K era and the drop off in development. One firm I interviewed with had over 100 resumes for a position and I was one of four interviewed. When I did get a job it was because the development started ramping up again.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Wow. Disagree. It's first and foremost the quality of life and the availability of a highly educated work force. People want to live in Austin. High tech, high-paying employers tend to locate where they have access to a high quality talent pool.
    I agree. It's a catch 22. Young, educated professionals want to live in Austin and due to the talent surplus there its a very attractive place for jobs to locate. There are some places people move for jobs alone and there are others people move to for the lifestyle. Austin is one of those places people move to for the lifestyle and it just so happens to have a great job market. The quality of life down there is the envy of many cities including OKC. It's a place that is so attractive people will spend their life savings to move there without a job.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. It's a catch 22. Young, educated professionals want to live in Austin and due to the talent surplus there its a very attractive place for jobs to locate. There are some places people move for jobs alone and there are others people move to for the lifestyle. Austin is one of those places people move to for the lifestyle and it just so happens to have a great job market. The quality of life down there is simply leaps and bounds beyond OKC (or any smaller city in the Midwest). It's a place that is so attractive people will spend their life savings to move there without a job. Compare that to OKC where headhunters sometimes have educated recruits turn down positions once the city is revealed because they cannot see themselves living here. I think it will be difficult for OKC to ever see the type of boom Austin is experiencing as long as the national perception (boring, backwards, country) persists.
    Jesus. I can't agree with you even when I agree with you. Is everything so black and white? Your posts are depressing.

    Is it possible for you to acknowledge that while Austin enjoys a favorable impression that is the envy of most cities, that OKC's, while behind, is improving?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Both are actually true, it is a chicken/egg argument at this point because they have the momentum. Right now there there are way more job seekers than jobs in the tech industry because of the changing landscape of tech and the influx of people moving there without a job. Some love it and eventually find something and some move onto some other place. Tech is still a pretty hard industry to get into because of the surplus of talent available. A friend who moved there from OKC in 1988 worked in the semiconductor industry for a lot of years until it closed up shop. They moved back to OKC for awhile and then back to Austin, he just got a job at the Samsung plant after trying to get out of the tech sector for awhile.

    When I moved there in 2003 (to get married) it took me two years to find a job (did contract work in the interim) because of the tech bust that happened in the post Y2K era and the drop off in development. One firm I interviewed with had over 100 resumes for a position and I was one of four interviewed. When I did get a job it was because the development started ramping up again.
    I agree that it takes more jobs to sustain Austin's boom, but it was the quality of life and educated workforce that happened first. Austin didn't just go out and start bribing major employers to locate there. That's not what happened.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Jesus. I can't agree with you even when I agree with you. Is everything so black and white? Your posts are depressing.

    Is it possible for you to acknowledge that while Austin enjoys a favorable impression that is the envy of most cities, that OKC's, while behind, is improving?
    Edited it. OKC is improving and within the next five years, as the developments currently being announced get completed, will completely change the feel here.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    The key is any creative enterprises, not just zoning in on tech.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    When I moved there in 2003 (to get married) it took me two years to find a job (did contract work in the interim) because of the tech bust that happened in the post Y2K era and the drop off in development. One firm I interviewed with had over 100 resumes for a position and I was one of four interviewed. When I did get a job it was because the development started ramping up again.
    For all of the honey and sunshine emulating from Austin these days, I have to wonder if they have diversified their economy enough to avoid the ugliness from 2001-03. There seems to be a growing consensus that tech is in a pretty big bubble and its bound to pop in the next 2-3 years.

    As far as non-IT employment is concerned, I've heard that Austin is a black hole, largely because it it a place so many move to without employment. I actually knew of someone who moved down there because he read in Forbes/Fortune/etc. how jobs are falling from the sky and what a cool party town it was with hot babes and live music on every corner. Long story short, after months of couch surfing and no prospects, he's now back in OKC with a job with Chaparral.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I actually knew of someone who moved down there because he read in Forbes/Fortune/etc. how jobs are falling from the sky and what a cool party town it was with hot babes and live music on every corner. Long story short, after months of couch surfing and no prospects, he's now back in OKC with a job with Chaparral.
    That's actually a common story. Because Austin is so popular, the job seeker to open position ratio is way out of whack and many people who move there actually end up underemployed. The same thing is also happening in Portland, Oregon, which is pretty much Austin's west coast sibling. Austin is a very attractive place for the culture and the lifestyle but it isn't all sunshine and roses. The media won't tell you that for every open position there is likely hundreds if not thousands of resumes submitted. Hopefully if the tech market crashes again they have diversified enough that it won't be as bad for them as it was during the early 2000s recession, a time when a lot of people were leaving Austin because it was so bad.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quality of life is alright in Austin. It all depends on what you are looking for. Me personally, I would choose OKC over Austin any day. I might have said this before and I will say it again, in the end, I will end up here in OKC because that is my hometown. I would like to play around in LA for a few years and maybe experience some Euro living but I love this town.

    I have been to Austin a few times and never really saw how it's quality of life is that much above OKC. Austin is an awesome city with a lot to offer, has grocery stores like Kroger's, Tom Thumb, HEB, Costco etc., an awesome bike network, and some awesome residential towers. Austin also has nightmarish traffic and I believe is now ranked as bad or worse than LA. Austin may be in a tier above OKC though.

    But lets take a look here: Kroger's will likely be coming to OKC in the coming years(or less) as well as other quality grocers, OKC will likely get a few new high-rise residential towers in the coming years with C2S, our bike network is expanding fast, there are tons of new urban neighborhoods that are emerging throughout the city, growing tech scene with GE choosing OKC over Austin, an amazing highway network served by 3 interstates, new fairly expansive streetcar system and much more amazing districts with great restaurants and retail stores. Also, if this rumored Costco development by St. Anthony's comes true, then OKC will really be closing in on the gap. One might even say OKC is about on the same level as Austin, but if that stretches it too far for you, then know that OKC is only a tier below Austin and that will change very quickly.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Quality of life is alright in Austin. It all depends on what you are looking for. Me personally, I would choose OKC over Austin any day. I might have said this before and I will say it again, in the end, I will end up here in OKC because that is my hometown. I would like to play around in LA for a few years and maybe experience some Euro living but I love this town.

    I have been to Austin a few times and never really saw how it's quality of life is that much above OKC. Austin is an awesome city with a lot to offer, has grocery stores like Kroger's, Tom Thumb, HEB, Costco etc., an awesome bike network, and some awesome residential towers. Austin also has nightmarish traffic and I believe is now ranked as bad or worse than LA. Austin may be in a tier above OKC though.

    But lets take a look here: Kroger's will likely be coming to OKC in the coming years(or less) as well as other quality grocers, OKC will likely get a few new high-rise residential towers in the coming years with C2S, our bike network is expanding fast, there are tons of new urban neighborhoods that are emerging throughout the city, growing tech scene with GE choosing OKC over Austin, an amazing highway network served by 3 interstates, new fairly expansive streetcar system and much more amazing districts with great restaurants and retail stores. Also, if this rumored Costco development by St. Anthony's comes true, then OKC will really be closing in on the gap. One might even say OKC is about on the same level as Austin, but if that stretches it too far for you, then know that OKC is only a tier below Austin and that will change very quickly.
    Austin's traffic problem is due to the fact it only has one Interstate running through it. The city was never designed to become as massive as it has become. Traffic was bad back in 2007 last time I was there. I can only imagine how bad it is today.

    Austin is ahead, significantly, as far as retail/grocery as you mentioned, but those things aren't why somebody would choose to live in Austin. Austin is attractive due to the arts/cultural scene and the outdoor recreation. It's live music scene is one of its biggest assets. It's attractive due to the focus on urban development and walkability in their core. Its attractive due to the progressive politics and reputation for being very tolerant of diverse cultures and lifestyles. It's attractive due to a stronger focus being placed on intellectualism than in many other cities. It's really the model example for many cities, including OKC, in our own downtown gentrification. Another area where Austin is great is single life as the prime age for marriage there, as is the case in most progressive cities, a few years later than it is here in OKC. It however, Austin is not for everyone and it does have its disadvantages.

    Personally if I was going to live in Texas Houston would be my top choice followed by Dallas and then Austin. Austin though is a great example though of what kind of city is attractive to the up and coming generation.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    I disagree that Austin is that far ahead and I think OKC will catch up extremely fast in the next decade or less.

    If I were to live in Texas again, I would choose were I lived before, Dallas, followed by Houston, Corpus Christi and then Austin.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I agree that it takes more jobs to sustain Austin's boom, but it was the quality of life and educated workforce that happened first. Austin didn't just go out and start bribing major employers to locate there. That's not what happened.
    They have had several booms in various sectors of technology, the "quality of life/jobs" pretty much happened concurrently. One doesn't really happen without the other. They have always had a large student base which helped attract employers at first but most of the people relocating there now are post-graduate. There are just people from schools all over the country that there are probably more with no connection to UT there now than those who do. Austin was always known for a burgeoning music scene when Willie Nelson moved back to Texas after a stint in Nashville. Music was why my friend moved there in 1988 playing in several bands, in the 90's he got a "real job" in a semiconductor plant. It has always been the case of some people moving there because of lifestyle and some moving because of jobs, I had co-workers of both persuasions. One moved from DC because her boyfriend got a job in Austin so they relocated. One relocated to Austin from Chicago win no job to be closer to his ailing mother in Monterrey, Mexico, he has since moved back to Chicago. Some went to school at UT or Texas State from other parts of the sate and never left the area (like my wife did for 20+ years). Some relocated from elsewhere because they found a job first (like I did moving from Austin to Denver).

    In the 70's you had IBM locate there which was really the start of the tech boom, you had many other companies locating there because of the IBM manufacturing facilities. The Domain is the brownfield redevelopment of former IBM and Tokyo Semiconductor manufacturing facilities. Motorola had many fabs there (later spun off into Freescale). 3M located a large R&D center there and at one time threaten the State of Minnesota with relocating their HQ there leaving St. Paul. In the 80's Dell exploded in size and software development started taking hold, that started the movement of companies there servicing Dell and others. AMD had a large presence there and Intel a sizable one. The 90's also had a tech/telecom boom, when the telecom bust happened it was another down cycle. All of the very large companies had some sort of incentive (outside of Dell which started in Austin) from the state to locate large facilities there. In many cases that led to the others locating to service those companies without incentives. Boxx Technologies relocated from the Phoenix area because of Dell and the suppliers who were local to Dell so it made it easier for them to make their specialty PC business work better.

    I still say it is a chicken/egg argument because both jobs and quality of life are so intertwined, without one the other would suffer and would ultimately be unsustainable.

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Austin's traffic problem is due to the fact it only has one Interstate running through it. The city was never designed to become as massive as it has become. Traffic was bad back in 2007 last time I was there. I can only imagine how bad it is today.

    Austin is ahead, significantly, as far as retail/grocery as you mentioned, but those things aren't why somebody would choose to live in Austin. Austin is attractive due to the arts/cultural scene and the outdoor recreation. It's live music scene is one of its biggest assets. It's attractive due to the focus on urban development and walkability in their core. Its attractive due to the progressive politics and reputation for being very tolerant of diverse cultures and lifestyles. It's attractive due to a stronger focus being placed on intellectualism than in many other cities. It's really the model example for many cities, including OKC, in our own downtown gentrification. Another area where Austin is great is single life as the prime age for marriage there, as is the case in most progressive cities, a few years later than it is here in OKC. It however, Austin is not for everyone and it does have its disadvantages.

    Personally if I was going to live in Texas Houston would be my top choice followed by Dallas and then Austin. Austin though is a great example though of what kind of city is attractive to the up and coming generation.
    Many Austinites still harbor this notion that Austin should always be a "hippie college town" like it was when they moved there to go to school. That thinking infects the city council every so often and when it does they fight any means of growth. That is the reason why the highway development in the area has been lacking for a long time, some in power at crucial times literally had a "don't build it and they won't come" mentality. You also have constituents/legislators in DFW, Houston and San Antonio who have tended to block highway development in the Austin area as well. The representation of the area in the state legislature is fractured by gerrymandering. The internal and external factions restricting a comprehensive road plan has hamstrung the area as it has grown at the rate that it has.

    Austin has no Kroger or Albertson's (left the market while I lived there), HEB dominates the area, Randall's is strong and Fiesta has a few stores.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    Good insight on Austin, bluedogok. I have heard more than one person say the growth has ruined it. For years, their skyline was stunted because they would not allow any building to be taller than the top of the capitol dome. I remember a lot of people were against it when they lifted the restriction. "Don't Houston My Austin" was a saying. Now I totally don't agree with those people and imagine Austin is probably far better now than it was 20 years ago, but there is definitely an anti-growth segment of the population there.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    I think OKC is improving but has a long, long, long way to go before it's an Austin. I mean we are basically talking about having one of item x or hoping to get one of each of item x y and z in the next few years, but in Austin there are so many choices whether you're talking about groceries or whatever it's unbelievable. The arts culture is unreal. I remember someone posting on this board about how OKC is next level now because we have a food truck party once a month, a cool arts festival once or twice a year, and so on. I remember thinking that person had absolutely no idea what it's like living in Austin where there are a dozen different things going on each and every day. I like OKC don't get me wrong but we are probably still 20 years away from being anything like ATX at our current velocity... Have to be realistic.

    One thing I don't care for about Austin is that there really isn't that much natural or historical appeal. The locals always point you to bars or something to go do. Seems like if you want nature you go to New Braunsfels and for history San Antonio. This is why I think city beautification, continuing to fund and maintain The Memorial site, and the Native American museum project, are so important for OKC. It should really be any city's goal to be as diverse as it can be and offer "the total package" for its residents and potential visitors.

    Never cared for Dallas when I lived there. It's definitely a big city but there's something very plastic about the place. A friend lives in Houston and says he loves it there.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

    And before it's said yeah I know about Mount Bonnell and west Austin. But I kind of view that like taking a trip out to the lake or down to Lawton.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Article: Is the "Next Austin" in Oklahoma?
    By mmonroe in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 09:21 AM
  2. "Localities Ramp Up Incentives, Credits To Attract Jobs " - DOW Jones
    By CaseyCornett in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 12:24 PM
  3. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
  4. FEMA continues to "inspire confidence"
    By PUGalicious in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 05:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO