Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

SHIFT Communications Picks Austin for Expansion Office

By Patrick Coffee
    January 8th 2015

Austin isn’t all about South by Southwest and keeping things “weird.” The home of University of Texas at Austin is also something of a demographic dream, with a disproportionate number of young, college-educated, well-paid professionals who are just the sort of people that so many tech companies want to reach. (Check out the city’s own take on its changing population here.)

For that reason and others, SHIFT Communications of Boston has chosen the city as the location for its newest office, the agency’s first expansion in five years. In yesterday’s announcement, CEO Todd Defren mentions “strategic clients with ties to the Austin area,” noting that “there are more startups in Austin than ever before.”
    SHIFT Communications Picks Austin for Expansion Office | PRNewser

Headed back to Austin in March and got a hotel downtown instead of the sketchy place I stayed in on the north side of campus last time. Expecting it to be a fun weekend.

UrbanNebraska, I would recommend staying at the Hyatt Regency which is just of the river, you will have a great view of downtown as well as the hill country. Btw where did you stay in North Austin? If it was close to Rundberg that area along with southeast Austin is ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    UrbanNebraska, I would recommend staying at the Hyatt Regency which is just of the river, you will have a great view of downtown as well as the hill country. Btw where did you stay in North Austin? If it was close to Rundberg that area along with southeast Austin is ghetto.
    Kind of a funny story the person I went with had stayed at the Motel 8 Downtown/Capitol area location on 12th and 35 for ACL and she said it was actually pretty decent for a motel so she told me she would book that again for the trip. Turns out she booked the Super 8 labeled Downtown/University instead on accident and that place isn't close to downtown and not very close the university either it is by the 35/290 interchange. That was legit the worst hotel/motel I have stayed in by a long shot. The trip was fun, but that place was crazy.

I am going down for a wedding in March and they got their block of rooms at the Embassy Suites on South Congress which looks like a great location for my to do list of Rainey Street, brunch at the Snack Bar on SoCo and a run around Lady Bird Lake to work the brunch off.

Yeah, the Rundberg area is pretty bad. My wife's office was on LaPosada by 35 & 183 behind the Doubletree. It wasn't too far up to Rundberg.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Yeah, the Rundberg area is pretty bad. My wife's office was on LaPosada by 35 & 183 behind the Doubletree. It wasn't too far up to Rundberg.
    It ended up working out alright though b/c we toured Austin Beerworks and Adelbert's both of which are up on the north side there.

I pass that hotel when traveling downtown, that place is a mess with prositution, and drug dealing. But glad your trip was worth it.

Mandalay Digital moves to Austin, changes name

By Christopher Calnan
    January 20. 2015

Mandalay Digital Group Inc. is changing its name and moving to Austin.
    The Los Angeles-based company (Nasdaq: MNDL) is re-branding as Digital Turbine Inc. and relocating its headquarters to 1300 Guadalupe St. on Tuesday, according to a company announcement.
    Mandalay Digital moves to Austin, changes name - Austin Business Journal

Austin Proper 35 Floors Start date this year

By Jan Buchholz
    February 2nd. 2015

Kelly Wearstler, one of the most highly lauded interior designers in the world, will handle the interiors of the new Austin Proper Hotel — a distinct new hospitality brand that will be part of the redevelopment of the Green Water Treatment Plant downtown.

Adam Nims, principal of Trammell Crow in Austin, confirmed that California development and real estate company The Kor Group will build the 35-story hotel — which will include private residences — in an exclusive interview with the Austin Business Journal.

Austin Proper Hotel is in schematic design, the developers said. Construction is projected to begin late this year.

In addition to the 250 rooms, there will be 120 condominiums for sale. The size and price range have yet to be determined. Right now, Green said, a list of interested buyers is being compiled.

The hotel will have a 12,000-square-foot ballroom, retail spaces, a restaurant, a spa and other amenities.
    International design icon tapped for the next big Austin hotel - Austin Business Journal

The Independent Sales Office will open this Spring.

https://www.facebook.com/independentaustin?fref=ts

For those of you who don't know, The Independent will be one of the tallest residential building west of the Mississippi once completed. The building height hasn't been determine, but will likely hit the 700 ft. mark.

Cranes!!!

5th & Colorado

Thanks to BuildingATX.com

Dell Medical School

Thanks to KevinFromTexas on SSP

The medical school is going to be huge for Austin. That has to be one of the biggest cities in the country, if not the biggest, without one.

Dam, Austin is really kicking ass already this year.

14. Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

LOVE this.

That and a good Museum. Austin lacks many big city amenities compared to cities it's size. In Austin case it can become competitive do to the fact San Antonio is only an hr away.

For instance:
    Austin lacks: Better infrastructure, Museums, Historic sites, Theme Parks, & Pro Sports.
    San Antonio lacks: Commuter Rail, Skyscrapers, Formula 1, & a Music & Film festival known as SXSW.

So both cities like to play tug a war with one another. I on the other hand don't mine if one city has this or that, just gives me a reason to drive 1 hr south.

For instance:
    Austin lacks: Better infrastructure, Museums, Historic sites, Theme Parks, & Pro Sports.
    San Antonio lacks: Commuter Rail, Skyscrapers, Formula 1, & a Music & Film festival known as SXSW.

So both cities like to play tug a war with one another. I on the other hand don't mine if one city has this or that, just gives me a reason to drive 1 hr south.
    The Austin vs. San Antonio debate really reminds me of a major city version of OKC vs Tulsa, with OKC being San Antonio and Austin being Tulsa. The cities compliment each other, each having things the other lacks.

I always have thought Oklahoma cities reminded me of Austin & San Antonio. It's great seeing competition between the 2.

Austin new JW Marriott will open this Friday the 13th.

Thanks to Priller for taking this photo.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...16252300430%2F

Austin new JW Marriott will open this Friday the 13th.

Thanks to Priller for taking this photo.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...16252300430%2F
    Need to get those LEDs out of those buildings. Austin is starting to look like Las Vegas! lol j/k

Great shots man!!

Thanks man, but I have to give credit where it's do.

BTW, I'm moving out to Cali in early April and on the way there, I am going to take a little detour down through Austin and then check out San Antonio. I am going to be in Austin Friday night. April 10th, and arrive there around 10-11 pm. What would you recommend for a good restaurant there around that time? I might even do some late night exploring, I'm not sure.

Thread Information