Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

The time that I lived in Austin we would go through 2-3 years of drought then have a month or two of floods then back to 2-3 years of drought. I have seen the Highland Lakes (Lake Buchanan, Inks Lake, Lake LBJ and Lake Marble Falls which are upstream of Lake Travis, Lake Austin and Town Lake) get very low and the Pedernales, Blanco, Frio, Guadalupe and Comal rivers almost dry. If Central Texas keeps growing they are going to modify the LCRA agreements with the rice farmers downstream, the aquifers can get low as well and are not recharging at the rate they are being depleted.

Actually in Austin right now and was really surprised to see that the city is just getting Uber and Lyft now. I mean I will take the 50 free rides, I just kind of assumed Austin would of been one of the early markets.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanNebraska View Post
    Actually in Austin right now and was really surprised to see that the city is just getting Uber and Lyft now. I mean I will take the 50 free rides, I just kind of assumed Austin would of been one of the early markets.
    The taxi company lobbyists have been busy at city hall and the capitol building.

Might what to be careful, Lyft has already started without the city approval. Not a good way to start operating in a new city. I do hope everything works out between them, Austin needs more transportation opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    Might what to be careful, Lyft has already started without the city approval. Not a good way to start operating in a new city. I do hope everything works out between them, Austin needs more transportation opinions.
    Worked out well. No one had the big mustache yet, so I am sure the cops weren't looking and got all around the city for free! Lyft and Uber had/have the same problem in Omaha/STL/KC neck of the woods. Lots of talk of impounding and arrests, but I haven't heard of anything like that happening here yet.

Cops here will be citating drivers with the Lyft logo (big mustache) if caught picking up people. But it will blow over soon once the city changes it policy and gives Lyft approval soon.

I'm going to start updating this thread with whats going on in the Austin metro area. I would create another sub forum but I don’t see the need for having 2 threads about Austin in here.

I'm going to start updating this thread with whats going on in the Austin metro area. I would create another sub forum but I don’t see the need for having 2 threads about Austin in here.
    Awesome! I love hearing about things going on in other cities. Later this summer, I might do a dual trip to visit Austin for a couple weeks then go to San Antonio for a couple weeks.

Awesome. Once your here take in the sights, I would recommend a drive through the hill country.

Pictures I took last weekend, enjoy!

Scenic Loop 360 (West Austin)

Austin skyline rising faintly in the background

Pennybacker bridge during rush hour

More hills

My former boss lived right by there off 2222 until a month ago, they are building in Wimberly now. We did virtual construction for the contractor (Revit/Navisworks) on the Booth house under construction (maybe finished by now) on the piece of property south of 2222 to Lake Austin.

Do you know what design firm is doing that Tech Ridge project?

Very nice pics, that is a pretty area. It looks very similar to the Arbuckles, especially those limestone cuts.

I'll have to get back with you bluedogok. Did seem kind of odd that they didn't list the architects firm but did list the landscape firm and the broker.

Cops here will be citating drivers with the Lyft logo (big mustache) if caught picking up people. But it will blow over soon once the city changes it policy and gives Lyft approval soon.
    That has already happened in Miami. Lyft is paying the legal bills of drivers to help fight it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cops-m...153659605.html

I'm hoping it will be successful here in Austin, ever since my last post about them, I haven't seen any more of the Lyft brand cars.

Austin's Pour House Pub to close this week, demolition set to begin

This is the new mixed development that will take it's place.

Burnet Marketplace | Good Fulton & Farrell, Inc GFF

By Jan Buchholz
    June 23. 2014

f the Pour House Pub on Burnet Road is your watering hole of choice, better get in there this week. The last pitcher of beer will be poured before the pub closes for good June 29 at 2 a.m.

The site is in the process of being demolished for a new mixed-use development by Argyle Residential, a company which has been spun-off byCypress Real Estate Advisors*for multifamily development. It's called Burnet Marketplace.

Patrons have enjoyed their brews a little longer than expected. The pub was expected to be shut down much earlier, but the developers incurred delays in obtaining permits and financing, according to Argyle Residential Development Associate Chase Hill.

The Austin Business Journal*first reported plans*for the site in August 2013.

All of the development issues have now been resolved and demolition on the 3.9 acres at 6701 Burnet Road should be completed by the end of July.

The first of the 343 units will be delivered In September 2015. The project includes 10,123 square feet of retail, including 2,789 square feet that will be occupied by a new Pour House Pub.
    Austin's Pour House Pub to close this week, demolition set to begin - Austin Business Journal

This is what's left of Lamar Village. Which was a single story shopping plaza.

This is what will take it's place.

3800 North Lamar, Austin, TX, 78705 - Street Retail Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

I guess we will see all the change that have happened in the past two years when we head back for the F1 race.

It has changed a good bit since 2012.

New apartment tower planned for Rainey Street

Lee ready to tackle Rainey tower - Austin Business Journal

ACC to potentially partner with tech company at old Highland Mall

By Joe Lanane*
    July 8. 2014

The first public-private partnership in Austin Community College history took a first step forward July 7.

Rackspace Hosting, a cloud management technology company, could soon move into the old Dillard’s space in Highland Mall, pending negotiations between ACC and Austin-based development team Live Oak-Gottesman. If the deal is successful, Rackspace intends to relocate 570 employees to the new Highland campus by late 2015, according to ACC.

ACC board members voted to authorize negotiations during their July 7 board meeting after receiving two proposals for repurposing the four-story, 194,000-square-foot former Dillard’s location.

“This is a one of a kind [project] in the country that will put ACC on the map,” ACC President Richard Rhodes told board members prior to their vote. “This [partnership] will give our students opportunities we couldn’t provide on our own, and it puts us in a leadership position nationally to show what can be done in a mall when partnering with other entities.”

Austin’s technology companies have already expressed interest in this partnership and other ACC programs underway to boost the number of area qualified tech workers, Rhodes said. This partnership specifically provides opportunities for paid internships, earn and learn programs, scholarships and possible student incubator space, he said.*

“There are significant benefits to the institution and the community,” he said.
    ACC to potentially partner with tech company at old Highland Mall - Community Impact Newspaper

New Travis County District Attorney's Office that will start next month

Travis County District Attorney's Office - Page

Thread Information