Widgets Magazine
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Default Austin 2023 boom continues...

Vesper (84 East) | 452 Feet | 41 Floors | U/C

Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

And they're getting a two story HEB grocery store!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    And they're getting a two story HEB grocery store!!
    Sure are! I miss HEB, since I live in Las Vegas now.

Recent drone shot of Austin. That whole right side will be full of towers by 2025.

Thanks to Riverranchdrone from SSP

Default Austin through the storm

Well this is disappointing news. Austin’s transit plans have had a massive scale back where the voter approved transit plan has basically been cut in half. They’re blaming a huge cost increase but if that’s true(which I believe it is) then spread out the projects, build the subway tube first since it’ll be the most crucial segment in the heart of downtown, and go for a quality over quantity approach.

Instead they’ve canceled the subway and cut almost every single planned light rail in half. What a joke.

https://www.kut.org/transportation/2...ve-new-options

Here’s Urbanize Austin: https://austin.urbanize.city/

https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...c-f7e22f89cae9

I know, still 45 stories. But proof that it isn't just OKC that has projects downsize. It happens everywhere, and at a high rate like here.

This is still a great project.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...c-f7e22f89cae9

I know, still 45 stories. But proof that it isn't just OKC that has projects downsize. It happens everywhere, and at a high rate like here.

This is still a great project.
    Damn that is quite the haircut. I love the look of this tower still, though.

With housing prices soaring in Austin--and with Austin now considered one of the most overpriced housing markets in the US, according to some analyses--it doesn't seem wise for the city to effectively be cutting the number of units in that development.

It’s not about it *only* happens in OKC. It’s just that OKC doesn’t seem to get very truly exciting projects that aren’t in some way always seemingly downsized or “value engineered.” I see stuff in LA get haircuts all the time and scaled back. But they still have dozens of more amazing projects that would be amazing for OKC if just one of them happened. I’m also aware there’s great projects moving forward that almost seem like they have been scaled up like OKANA and OAK.

Here’s an example of a recent proposed building that had a pretty big haircut too. The second one: https://la.urbanize.city/post/anothe...ve-street-dtla

I flew had a connecting flight at the Austin airport last Wednesday on our way to Orlando and then again on our way back home to OKC yesterday and I can't believe they don't have a larger airport. There are only 34 gates there (OKC has 24, Tulsa has 22) and it was the most crowded airport I have ever been to. It looks like they did an expansion in 2019 to get it to 34 gates and it looks like they are talking about another expansion, but not for years out.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I flew had a connecting flight at the Austin airport last Wednesday on our way to Orlando and then again on our way back home to OKC yesterday and I can't believe they don't have a larger airport. There are only 34 gates there (OKC has 24, Tulsa has 22) and it was the most crowded airport I have ever been to. It looks like they did an expansion in 2019 to get it to 34 gates and it looks like they are talking about another expansion, but not for years out.
    Not that it makes that much of a difference but OKC actually only has 21 currently since the gates in the middle continuing even numbering for that side of the airport but there are no odd number gates on the other side (where the restaurants and exits are).

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The main reason for the delay is that there's been an on going lawsuit filed by the land operator (Lonestar holdings) and The city of Austin over the South Terminal expansion. It wasn't til recently a few days ago that a deal was reached.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kxa...expansion/amp/

The Manhattanization of Austin continues

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1664784193971257344

Austin is now the 10th Largest City in the U.S.

https://www.austintexas.gov/news/aus...argest-city-us

Downtown not the only place that's growing. West Campus (University of Texas) is also undergoing and skyscraper renaissance.

Icon l 307ft l 30 Floors l Site Prep

By Urbannizer

24RG | 312 Ft | 31 Floors | Site Prep

By Urbannizer

I truly can't believe people have been upset by the growth there. Citizens there are mad at Austin losing what made it cool. I think they are gaining things that make it cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I truly can't believe people have been upset by the growth there. Citizens there are mad at Austin losing what made it cool. I think they are gaining things that make it cooler.
    Alot of what made Austin is now long gone, which does upset the natives outhere here including myself. Austin has always been that weird, pot smoking, hipster type city that traditionally was completely different from the rest of Texas. Wasn't til the mid 00's when everything started changing. As everyone discovered Austin in a way how people discovered Portland and Seattle, people started moving here in masses and changed was once a small laid back city into another Texas metropolis.

Btw I'm pro growth and welcome everyone to this great city. Just dislike when places that made Austin unique have to shutter cause of the high cost.

https://www.newsweek.com/austin-hous...-bells-1804459
    Home values are dropping here faster than anywhefe else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/austin-hous...-bells-1804459
    Home values are dropping here faster than anywhefe else.
    I see this as a good thing. Homes here in Austin are so inflated that a market correction was bound to happen.
    This trend will most likely continue as develepers play catch up.

Texas is really f@cking over its cities but not investing in HSR. Can you just imagine the growth of the triangle cities if the HSR triangle system was built?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Texas is really f@cking over its cities but not investing in HSR. Can you just imagine the growth of the triangle cities if the HSR triangle system was built?
    I can picture the growth without it! Lol... though I'm still not giving up on HSR. I would like to see it built between the Austin/ San Antonio corridor. With a population already over 5+ million between the two cities, and another 4 - 5 million on top of that by 2060, traffic is going to be a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    I can picture the growth without it! Lol... though I'm still not giving up on HSR. I would like to see it built between the Austin/ San Antonio corridor. With a population already over 5+ million between the two cities, and another 4 - 5 million on top of that by 2060, traffic is going to be a nightmare.
    Oh I’m sure the growth is coming with or without it but imagine how differently the cities would develop. There would still be sprawl but I would imagine the cores would become much more dense and it would attract more development around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Oh I’m sure the growth is coming with or without it but imagine how differently the cities would develop. There would still be sprawl but I would imagine the cores would become much more dense and it would attract more development around them.
    Let's hope it does become a reality.

Thread Information