Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I think OKC is improving but has a long, long, long way to go before it's an Austin. I mean we are basically talking about having one of item x or hoping to get one of each of item x y and z in the next few years, but in Austin there are so many choices whether you're talking about groceries or whatever it's unbelievable. The arts culture is unreal. I remember someone posting on this board about how OKC is next level now because we have a food truck party once a month, a cool arts festival once or twice a year, and so on. I remember thinking that person had absolutely no idea what it's like living in Austin where there are a dozen different things going on each and every day. I like OKC don't get me wrong but we are probably still 20 years away from being anything like ATX at our current velocity... Have to be realistic.

One thing I don't care for about Austin is that there really isn't that much natural or historical appeal. The locals always point you to bars or something to go do. Seems like if you want nature you go to New Braunsfels and for history San Antonio. This is why I think city beautification, continuing to fund and maintain The Memorial site, and the Native American museum project, are so important for OKC. It should really be any city's goal to be as diverse as it can be and offer "the total package" for its residents and potential visitors.

Never cared for Dallas when I lived there. It's definitely a big city but there's something very plastic about the place. A friend lives in Houston and says he loves it there.
    I agree.

As far as the "natural attractions" it also depends on the age group you are talking to. My twentysomething co-workers who grew up in Austin rarely knew anything outside of Austin except for floating the Comal or Frio, which of course was centered around drinking just like the majority of their in town excursions. Those who grew up outside of the area (Texas or elsewhere) tended to be more adventurous and find excuses to go somewhere else. I guess maybe it was the motorcycle group that I rode with that we traveled all over the Hill Country, only a few "locals" were in that group and most were around my age (40's). We would hit BBQ and small town cafes, the great riding roads and little hole in the wall shops and the motorcycle museum in the middle of nowhere. That is just something most of those still in their prime "drinking age" just don't do there.

Another amazing accolade for the city of Austin! Wow, the business climate in Texas continues to shine and attract out of state headquarters!

Websense selects Austin for expansion, will bring 470 jobs - Austin Business Journal

Dropbox to employ 200 workers in Austin by next year, exec confirm

Dropbox to employ 200 workers in Austin by next year, exec confirms - Austin Business Journal

We had a keynote speaker at the Downtown Cleveland Alliance neighborhood luncheon who was a professor from Texas A&M. The guy had done research on Austin's deterioration in QoL and cited a Dell executive saying it has become more difficult to attract the best and brightest to Austin. Seattle has not had a comparable increase in sprawl and commutes and the political climate isn't as toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    We had a keynote speaker at the Downtown Cleveland Alliance neighborhood luncheon who was a professor from Texas A&M. The guy had done research on Austin's deterioration in QoL and cited a Dell executive saying it has become more difficult to attract the best and brightest to Austin. Seattle has not had a comparable increase in sprawl and commutes and the political climate isn't as toxic.
    Did he say why?

Austin technology CEOs gave the city's ability to cope with worsening traffic and a tough job market mixed reviews during an Austin Technology Council event Thursday.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...city-mixed.htm

Given the fact Austin has one of the worst traffic problems for a city it's size and not looking any brighter either. Also our unemployment rate in Austin is at 3.8% and given that Austin is the "it" city to be in drives huge amounts of growth and creates fierce competition with other competitors.

Austin starting to work on it’s traffic woes, we have built new tollroads. ( Yes lots of people use them). The city now is expanding it's B Cycle stations. It recently opened up 40 stations back in February and has exceeded expectations. Our commuter rail is expanding adding extra tracks along the existing route. It also has exceeded expectations as well with nearly 3,000 daily boardings. All in all Austin is doing what it can but with the massive growth going on in the city and metropolitan wise, it's hard to keep up with infrastructure. The 2014 census placed the city population of having 865,504 and 1,926,998 in the metro area.

Some pictures I took 2 days ago.

It's so nice seeing tower cranes across Downtown Austin. Hopefully we can see the same thing over Oklahoma City in the coming years. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    It's so nice seeing tower cranes across Downtown Austin. Hopefully we can see the same thing over Oklahoma City in the coming years. :-)
    Hopefully. These smaller residential developments are nice and exciting, but it's about time we see some real development that really stands out like what's going on in Austin. I really hope OKC gets some light-rail soon as traffic here is just starting to get bad. Took me an hour and a half to get from Kilpatrick to I240 and Shields today. Granted that is a rare occasion but it is happening more and more.

OKC has potential, I wish you guys up there the best.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Did he say why?
    In addition to Austin's hideous traffic and infrastructure woes, it is really starting to get quite expensive down there. I know several native Texans who frequent Austin on the weekends but would never entertain moving there because it is such a step down economically, especially coming from Dallas or Houston where its so much cheaper.

With that in mind, I don't expect growth to abate anytime soon. Austin is now the de facto back office of Silicon Valley and there is a definite pipeline of people moving from one to the other. And as so long as a 3 bedroom ranch house will cost you $800K in San Jose people will continue to find value in Austin.

Amazing pictures, Jon. I'm old enough to remember when the Austin skyline was comprised mostly the capitol dome and, well, the sky.

That it has. It's amazing how the media still portraits Austin has inexpensive when it's not. Maybe I should create an ad on tv stating how affordable OKC and Tulsa is. I'll be happy to give you all part of our growth.

I remember when Austin was like that as well. But I'm glad it's growing up. Though I'm not to thrilled how expensive it is, but you pay what you get.

It is expensive when coming in from Silicon Valley or if you are writer from NYC.

HangryHippo Guest

What is Austin going to do about the water shortage? How will they sustain the growth when the water runs dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    What is Austin going to do about the water shortage? How will they sustain the growth when the water runs dry?
    If Phoenix can do it, I'm sure Austin will find a way. I might be wrong, but doesn't Austin receive a somewhat decent amount of rainfall? The few times I driven through there, it seems to contain quite a bit of plant life.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    If Phoenix can do it, I'm sure Austin will find a way. I might be wrong, but doesn't Austin receive a somewhat decent amount of rainfall? The few times I driven through there, it seems to contain quite a bit of plant life.
    I don't know for certain, but Austin is suffering from severe drought and they're on some pretty severe water restrictions, but things are getting worse.

duplicate post, sorry.

Austin yearly average is 32.15". I bet it doesn't go as far as a like amount in central Oklahoma, since 90s and 100s start there sooner and last longer.

Atlanta, which gets more rain, was in the news several years ago over an awful drought, until the rains finally came. I wonder if that city has a plan in place, should the next drought be worse.

While there is a possibility Austin could run out of water, but I highly doubt that will ever happen. Right now the state is building several reservoirs west of Austin and the already completed 4th water treatment plant. This past few weeks Austin and the lakes out west has been getting hammered with rain and with more coming this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    I don't know for certain, but Austin is suffering from severe drought and they're on some pretty severe water restrictions, but things are getting worse.
    LCRA gives outlook on Central Texas lakes and drought

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Austin yearly average is 32.15". I bet it doesn't go as far as a like amount in central Oklahoma, since 90s and 100s start there sooner and last longer.

Atlanta, which gets more rain, was in the news several years ago over an awful drought, until the rains finally came. I wonder if that city has a plan in place, should the next drought be worse.
    I am not that familiar with the climate of central Texas, but one thing about Oklahoma is you can rarely count on getting the average. Most years are either well above average or well below it. In the Southeast (Atlanta) rainfall is pretty reliable though they do have droughts from time to time. Even the worst droughts out there are nothing compared to droughts out here near the 100th meridian. They need to have a plan in place though because the sheer population and demand could cause a problem that 30 years ago wouldn't have existed under the same weather conditions.

Thread Information