Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Some more photos of Austin by a few awesome formers on SSP.

The weather in and around Austin has been quite active with possible tornadoes touching down just north & west of Georgetown.

https://www.facebook.com/68243839189...3569778113917/

Austin tallest building is taking shape

Rendering: 6 X Guadalupe will top out at 848ft.

Austin will claim the tallest tower in Texas in a few years surpassing Houston Chase Tower.

Waller Creek Tower l 1,022FT l 73 FLOORS

3 different shades of glass on site.

Elevations & Site Plan has been released .

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=879326

Lots of new info was released today. It will have three Luffing cranes.

Will also have:
    677K Sq Ft Office
    528K Sq Ft Residential (352 units)
    185K Sq Ft Hotel (232 rooms)
    20K Sq Ft Retail

Google Tower aka "Sail Tower" has officially topped out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aerofrohne/

Other non develop news, Austin is working on its homeless crisis as the city spends millions to house all homeless in converted hotels as well as new housing.
    https://w3.mp.lura.live/player/prod/...MzYwfQ==#amp=1

Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    Other non develop news, Austin is working on its homeless crisis as the city spends millions to house all homeless in converted hotels as well as new housing.
    https://w3.mp.lura.live/player/prod/...MzYwfQ==#amp=1
    I hope it works out. In LA the same sort of program(project room key) has been a huge failure.

I drive from LA to OKC and back quite frequently. In small towns in Oklahoma and New Mexico specifically I see a great number of empty hotels and buildings that are empty. There’s a great need for more rest areas, truck stops/parking, on top of a need to house the homeless and I’m sure these dying towns along the interstate could use a boost in population. I’ve always thought a national program designed to relocate and home the homeless around the country instead of having them concentrated in one(or a few) massive locations or at least offering that option could be an interesting experiment.

Prior before the statewide camping ban that went into effect on September 1st. Austin was the new San Francisco with tents everywhere downtown, as well as people defecating in public. It was a disgusting site as well as an embarrassment to the city of Austin. Now Austin has cleaned up a majority of campsites and continues to help an improve by getting the homeless the help they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I hope it works out. In LA the same sort of program(project room key) has been a huge failure.

I drive from LA to OKC and back quite frequently. In small towns in Oklahoma and New Mexico specifically I see a great number of empty hotels and buildings that are empty. There’s a great need for more rest areas, truck stops/parking, on top of a need to house the homeless and I’m sure these dying towns along the interstate could use a boost in population. I’ve always thought a national program designed to relocate and home the homeless around the country instead of having them concentrated in one(or a few) massive locations or at least offering that option could be an interesting experiment.
    I certainly agree, something needs to be done.

Default Some infill projects going on downtown

Whole Foods Expansion

Waterloo Central

Quarters

827 W. 12th

Default Some infill projects going on downtown

Covid cases continue to plummet in Austin.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...m_source=share
    Last edited by JoninATX; 09-30-2021 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Duplicate

It's official! Elon Musk: Tesla HQ will relocate to Austin from California!

By Will Anderson
    Managing Editor, Austin Business Journal
    Oct 7, 2021
    Updated 3 hours ago

Tesla Inc., the world’s most valuable carmaker, will relocate its headquarters to Austin — a huge move for the local economy, and a clear sign that the future of Elon Musk’s diverse business empire increasingly runs through Texas.

The CEO said Oct. 7 during the company’s annual shareholder meeting that Tesla (Nasdaq: TSLA) would base itself in Central Texas, where it has a $1.1 billion gigafactory rising in eastern Travis County.

"I'm excited to announce that we're moving our headquarters to Austin, Texas," Musk said to thunderous applause.
    https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...dquarters.html

I really hope Tesla eventually builds a plant in Oklahoma. Tulsa would be a nice pick so it can boost the region up there but it would make more sense between OKC and the Texas state line somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I really hope Tesla eventually builds a plant in Oklahoma. Tulsa would be a nice pick so it can boost the region up there but it would make more sense between OKC and the Texas state line somewhere.
    It would benefit Oklahoma alot if Musk did invest in the state. There has been rumors that he plans to build a manufacturing hub near Tulsa. This was last year after he announced Austin as the final winner.

Austin's COTA smashes record for biggest Formula 1 race ever as sports tightens grip on U.S market.

Claire Partain
    October 26th 2021

Circuit of the Americas chair Bobby Epstein wasn't willing to give up specific attendance numbers for the Austin track's United States Grand Prix over the weekend, but he still assured Austonia that the race was "the biggest sporting event in the world this year."

The weekend's broadcast reported the three-day event saw 400,000 attendees, smashing a previous record held by the British Grand Prix for the most racegoers in Formula 1 history. Around 140,000 looked on as 24-year-old rising star Max Verstappen beat seven-time champ Lewis Hamilton by just over a second on Sunday.
    https://austonia.com/formula-1-sells-out-austin

Lincoln added the COTA "Car Condos" to its portfolio. There are 178 units planned for Turn 11:

Claire Partain
    October 27th. 2021

Coming off of the heels of the biggest Formula 1 race to date, Circuit of the Americas now has plans to create luxury "car condos" for racecar enthusiasts right by the track.

Located on the racetrack's storied "Turn 11," COTA will create around 178 car condos on a 22-acre plot in a partnership with real estate firm Lincoln Property Company. Presale reservations for the units began Wednesday, and the project hopes to break ground by late spring of 2022.

The 340,000 square foot space will include a 7,000-square foot amenity center with a pool, a clubhouse, a conference center, outdoor barbecue grills and more.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/austoni...dos-2655409179

Just returned from a visit to Grapevine. Talked to many long time locals who are giving up on Dallas and Austin because of the influx of folks from the west coast, LA and Portland in particular. They said that housing and cost of living is increasing so much and the culture is changing, at least for them, for the worse. Austin in particular is bad because of lack of infrastructure to handle the population increase. Surprisingly, several said they were moving to Oklahoma. One gentleman who we talked to in the hotel said it was his last night in Texas and that he and his stuff were on their way to Tulsa. He said that many of his family and friends were in the process of moving to other states although he also said many were moving to East Texas to escape Dallas and Austin. His exact words were "I'm getting out of this hellhole".

I'm a huge F1 fan and often wonder how much COTA has increased Austin's international visibility. COTA is considered one of the better circuits on the F1 calendar and generally produces really good races. All the drivers talk about how nice Austin is, how much they love the food, people and culture. F1 is a really popular sport globally, and that means a lot of eyeballs on Austin.

Miami and Las Vegas are now trying to get in on the actions, so I'd have to think Austin is doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by rjstone208 View Post
    Just returned from a visit to Grapevine. Talked to many long time locals who are giving up on Dallas and Austin because of the influx of folks from the west coast, LA and Portland in particular. They said that housing and cost of living is increasing so much and the culture is changing, at least for them, for the worse. Austin in particular is bad because of lack of infrastructure to handle the population increase. Surprisingly, several said they were moving to Oklahoma. One gentleman who we talked to in the hotel said it was his last night in Texas and that he and his stuff were on their way to Tulsa. He said that many of his family and friends were in the process of moving to other states although he also said many were moving to East Texas to escape Dallas and Austin. His exact words were "I'm getting out of this hellhole".
    I can believe it. Austin median home prices in Austin is a whooping $500,000. Though the population growth in Austin is phenomenal with 70,000 moving in annually which is half the population growth of DFW. With that said it's sad that Austin is losing once was a great affordable place to live. Now it's California 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    I'm a huge F1 fan and often wonder how much COTA has increased Austin's international visibility. COTA is considered one of the better circuits on the F1 calendar and generally produces really good races. All the drivers talk about how nice Austin is, how much they love the food, people and culture. F1 is a really popular sport globally, and that means a lot of eyeballs on Austin.

Miami and Las Vegas are now trying to get in on the actions, so I'd have to think Austin is doing something right.
    F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said "Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in Austin has earned its place on the sport's schedule as contract talks continue with the venue over the future of the U.S. Grand Prix."

It wouldn't surprise me if Austin started hosting F1 every year like it did just recently.

Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said "Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in Austin has earned its place on the sport's schedule as contract talks continue with the venue over the future of the U.S. Grand Prix."

It wouldn't surprise me if Austin started hosting F1 every year like it did just recently.
    I sure hope it does. The Miami and Vegas circuits are likely going to be extremely boring, similar to Sochi. The elevation changes and thoughtful design makes COTA one of the better circuits and probably some of Hermann Tikle's better work. Regardless of if Formula 1 keeps going to Austin, I think Circuit of the America's will continue to be a real asset.

Personally, COTA attracts me to the idea of living in Austin. Being able to see the highest levels of motorsports (F1, Moto GP, WEC) in my backyard would outweigh the shame of calling myself a Texan. (kidding)

My wife is studying graphic design, and it is her understanding that Austin is a hub for designers. Along with Colorado Springs, but Colorado doesn't have COTA.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    I sure hope it does. The Miami and Vegas circuits are likely going to be extremely boring, similar to Sochi. The elevation changes and thoughtful design makes COTA one of the better circuits and probably some of Hermann Tikle's better work. Regardless of if Formula 1 keeps going to Austin, I think Circuit of the America's will continue to be a real asset.

Personally, COTA attracts me to the idea of living in Austin. Being able to see the highest levels of motorsports (F1, Moto GP, WEC) in my backyard would outweigh the shame of calling myself a Texan. (kidding)

My wife is studying graphic design, and it is her understanding that Austin is a hub for designers. Along with Colorado Springs, but Colorado doesn't have COTA.
    COTA is one of the better Formula 1 tracks out there, this is the reason why as well as Austin being an "It" city draws events far and wide. I know Nascar got on board with COTA and there looking to do a race again next year.

The Republic Tower Rides Again!

JAMES RAMBIN
    OCTOBER 28, 2021

Downtown Austin saw a few projects fall through or downscale their ambitions significantly during the pandemic’s freshman and sophomore years, but after months of nail-biting we’re thrilled to report that the 46-floor Republic office tower planned by real estate giants Lincoln Property Company bringing 800,000 square feet of office space and 19,500 square feet of retail to a parking lot at 401 West Fourth Street just south of Republic Square is showing some serious signs of life — as it turns out, this project might actually be closer to moving forward than we thought.

Several downtown insiders have told us in the last few months that the tower plan is steaming ahead, but we’re not just relying on gossip — a large number of development permits related to the project were filed this week, with updates to the tower’s site plan recently approved after city review.
    https://austin.towers.net/the-republ...lyn@towers.net

Default Amazon going gangbusters across the Austin area.

Amazon eyes yet another distribution hub in Austin area as regional headcount nears 12,000
    Justin Sayers – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
    Oct 28, 2021

..."Amazon.com Services LLC recently submitted an application to the city of Round Rock to rezone and annex a 193-acre site at 2801 County Road 172, which is east of East McNeil Road and north of the State Highway 45 toll road, near La Frontera.

Representatives for Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) are seeking to rezone the property to a planned unit development with a light industrial zoning to allow "for a large format warehouse and distribution center," according to a letter from Amanda Brown, senior development and land use planner for Kimley-Horn and Associates Inc., an engineering firm working with Amazon.

The property is currently not zoned and is located in the city's extraterritorial jurisdiction. Brown wrote that the planned unit development would allow for the building closest to State Highway 45 to reach 120 feet in height. Light industrial zoning only allows for buildings two stories in height maximum.

"The increase in building height is necessary only for the storage of goods and will not contribute to a greater intensity than what is intended for the LI zone," Brown wrote. "The proposed PUD achieves the result of allowing special conditions that would not otherwise allow the development to occur given the current LI standards."
    https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-facility.html

Amazon considers Georgetown site for large warehouse
    By Justin Sayers
    Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
    Nov. 9th. 2021

Amazon.com Inc. is eyeing another large facility in Central Texas, this time on the far north side of the Austin metro.

Amazon.com Services LLC is listed as the owner in a Nov. 5 filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation for a 518,792-square-foot sorting facility at 2250 N. I-35. That is the same address as a business park being built between the interstate and the State Highway 130 toll road.
    The TDLR filing describes the Georgetown project as a "package sortation center" and "warehouse for overnight processing of packages for long-haul delivery." Work could start in early 2022, with a completion date of March 2023. The filing gives an estimated project cost of $130 million.
    https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ty-austin.html

At this rate, Austin will be Jeff Bezos & Elon Musk playground.

Thread Information