Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Texas is on a roll!! Oracle, Hewlett-Packard Enterprises, Tesla, CBRE Group, MeKesson Corp, Core-Mark relocated from California to the Lone Star State! I really would hope Oklahoma could attract some Cali business! The biggest hurdle for Oklahoma is their poor education and poor image from outsiders.

2. Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Texas is on a roll!! Oracle, Hewlett-Packard Enterprises, Tesla, CBRE Group, MeKesson Corp, Core-Mark relocated from California to the Lone Star State! I really would hope Oklahoma could attract some Cali business! The biggest hurdle for Oklahoma is their poor education and poor image from outsiders.
    And lack of air flights.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Give it another decade and companies will start to move operations outside TX as it gets too expensive. Oklahoma will play the role Arizona has been playing to California. Mark my words there are big things on the horizon for our state.

We're moving up with the drone contracts -

https://oklahoman.com/article/567183...force-contract

BG918, I do agree and share your optimism that Oklahoma is going to see some amazing things ahead. I really feel like this state is going to boom and not just the obvious players like Tulsa and OKC. I feel like if the cards were played right places like Lawton, Ardmore, and Durant could really take off in the coming decades and become sizable players in the state.

I will say traffic in Oklahoma City has really picked up since I left back in 2015. I’ve become used to dealing with the LA traffic so it doesn’t bother me but the reason I bring this up is it shocked me over the last few weeks how much traffic I’ve seen on the roads and freeways. This is during a pandemic no doubt with many likely still telecommuting and vacancy rates are relatively high in downtown unless things have changed. I think OKC will start to see its first experience of real, big city type traffic issues if/when the city experiences a boom again akin to early 2010s or greater.

One thing about traffic here I noticed is rarely do I experience gaps of traffic in the freeways like I did before. Throughout the entire day I’ve watched various points of the freeways here and noticed the traffic is non-stop. It’s not bumper to bumper outside rush hour but it’s a steady flow whereas there used to be gaps between groups of cars pretty often.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    BG918, I do agree and share your optimism that Oklahoma is going to see some amazing things ahead. I really feel like this state is going to boom and not just the obvious players like Tulsa and OKC. I feel like if the cards were played right places like Lawton, Ardmore, and Durant could really take off in the coming decades and become sizable players in the state.

I will say traffic in Oklahoma City has really picked up since I left back in 2015. I’ve become used to dealing with the LA traffic so it doesn’t bother me but the reason I bring this up is it shocked me over the last few weeks how much traffic I’ve seen on the roads and freeways. This is during a pandemic no doubt with many likely still telecommuting and vacancy rates are relatively high in downtown unless things have changed. I think OKC will start to see its first experience of real, big city type traffic issues if/when the city experiences a boom again akin to early 2010s or greater.

One thing about traffic here I noticed is rarely do I experience gaps of traffic in the freeways like I did before. Throughout the entire day I’ve watched various points of the freeways here and noticed the traffic is non-stop. It’s not bumper to bumper outside rush hour but it’s a steady flow whereas there used to be gaps between groups of cars pretty often.
    I moved here in 2013 and I can attest to increased traffic. It's a lot more than it used to be.

Here is a story about me and the lovely tech people of Austin! funny ****....

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...n-bumbles-code

Austin base Amazon Whole Foods expansion

https://austin.towers.net/whole-food...lyn@towers.net

trail of lights by John Gusky https://flic.kr/p/2kaquxM

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    We're moving up with the drone contracts -

https://oklahoman.com/article/567183...force-contract
    That's good.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Give it another decade and companies will start to move operations outside TX as it gets too expensive. Oklahoma will play the role Arizona has been playing to California. Mark my words there are big things on the horizon for our state.
    Oklahoma will likely benefit from the Texas boom later on. As great as it to see Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston grow it will likely slow down in the distance future as our resources become strain.

300 Colorado

Parsley Energy was set to move in but with the current economy they decided to nixed their Austin location. Now its up for lease with rumors Facebook may take over.

Elon Musk has moved everything except Tesla HQ's to Austin

Elon Musk himself
    The Musk Foundation
    The Boring Company

Elon Musk's The Boring Co. grabs industrial space in Pflugerville, documents show

Kathryn Hardison, Staff Writer
    Dec 15, 2020, 3:08pm CST
    The Boring Co., a tunnel construction company, announced last month that it was hiring in Austin and hinted that it may be planning an underground transit system in Central Texas. Now, it appears that it's grabbed space a short drive from where Tesla is building a car factory.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...ville.amp.html

218 S. Lamar Blvd

Council approved the rezoning of a 1.2-acre site at 218 S. Lamar Blvd. to a planned unit development, which will allow developer Generational Commercial Properties to exceed a 60-foot height limit for its 96-foot office tower on the site of a closed Schlotzsky's restaurant.

The 190,000-square-foot project has been in the pipeline for several years now — reports first surfaced in 2018 — and ran into opposition from the Zilker Neighborhood Association.
    https://archive.is/N5L6t

Tesla Update

Austin City Council approves zoning changes for controversial 97-acre “urban village” on East Riverside.
    https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...ast-riverside/

Took a few pics today. Whole Foods Amazon expansion has started (foreground).

Yesterday hike and drive in west Austin.

^

Thanks.

Such a beautiful city.

Thanks, Austin never keeps amazing me.

COVID-19 hospitalizations trigger 50% capacity limits in Austin and surrounding areas

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Sunday Texas’ Trauma Service Area O, which includes 2.3 million people in the Austin area, reached the COVID-19 hospitalization rate which automatically triggered additional restrictions for the area under state guidelines.

Under the new restrictions, which went into effect Sunday, businesses and retail establishments in the Austin area must reduce their operations to 50% occupancy. Per state rules, hospitals must also stop elective surgeries must across the area.

Under an order issued by Texas Governor Greg Abbott in October 2020, the 50% occupancy limitations go into effect when more than 15% of overall hospitalizations in any trauma area are COVID-19 hospitalizations for seven consecutive days. Trauma Service Area O, which includes Austin, has exceeded that 15% threshold from January 3 through January 9.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kxa...ions-rate/amp/

I posted an article above just in case if any of y'all are planning to come down to Austin or any where in Texas for that matter. Now is not a good time unless you absolutely have to.

Thread Information