Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Austin new FC Stadium U/C

https://www.austinfc.com/

Indeed Tower update 542 FT l 36 Floors

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...224960&page=32

I thought I might add some current updates on what's happening in Austin.

Austin skyline from the north. Its astonishing how much Austin has densifyed its core. Kinda going in a Vancouver lite direction.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/munna82/49417107896

44 East 573 FT l 50 Floors U/C

44 East to the left. 48 East behind the trees where the tower crane is.

https://www.44eastaveaustin.com/?gcl...QaAkvxEALw_wcB

48 East 358 FT l 33 Floors

https://www.natiivoaustin.com/

While all that growth is nice, their infrastructure is irreparably behind, and there is no way they will ever catch up, unfortunately. Portland is in the same boat. Everyone voted anti-car transportation policies, yet everyone still drives there.

I saw a couple of articles recently about a large public transit proposal for Austin, can anyone more familiar with the local politics there provide insight on how likely it is to ever come to fruition?

Guadalupe looks like one skyscraper stacked on a different skyscraper.

City of Austin came out with a transportation plan no to long ago. Includes not showing on the map is a potential subway line.

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/...9-ba84977bb1a8

With Austin now in the top 10 largest U.S cities with recently surpassing over 1 million people in the city limits. Variety of transportation options is a must. It's also embarrassing for an Metro area of 2.3 million not to have reliable transportation options.

BBVA mixed used tower 770 FT l 60 Floors

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbv...wn-austin/amp/

What BBVA Tower will look like in the skyline

https://www.pagethink.com/v/project-...xth-Street/fc/

Another view of Austin future tallest 848FT l 65 Stories

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/micha...StgU80&irgwc=1

I worked in Austin now in OKC. Although Austin is a great city, their homeless issue is becoming a Serious problem. Very liberal city council and Mayor Adler go hand and hand. Had a space downtown but started stepping over homeless to get inside building. Infrastructure is the main issue with Austin, and they have a long way to go to fix that. It'll be like San Francisco in a few years. Sad to say that. Everyone is moving further out because of house pricing Increases. People moving farther out than Cedar Park, Georgetown, Pflugerville etc.

16. Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

My sister lives there and said UT officials and student -parents are complaining about the homeless that apparently ring the UT campus.

On another note, my sister also backs up the flight to the burbs not just due to higher housing prices but skyrocketing property taxes some can no longer affoard.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    My sister lives there and said UT officials and student -parents are complaining about the homeless that apparently ring the UT campus.

On another note, my sister also backs up the flight to the burbs not just due to higher housing prices but skyrocketing property taxes some can no longer affoard.
    I’m in town right now and it is very, very bad. There were about 15 cop cars near a massive tent city where an altercation got violent.

You guys make some serious points. I lived in Austin from '97 to 2018 then moved to Las Vegas where I currently reside. Austin always had homeless issues but like Brain72 said its getting out of control. It's not just Austin, Las Vegas is overrun with homeless. It's more of a affordable issue in cities especially places like LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, ect where one simply cannot afford to live anymore.

Austin Railyard Redevelopment 700FT - 1,100FT Proposed

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/.../200213/PLANS/

^^If built it would be the tallest building outside NY & Chicago. Would also be the tallest building in Texas surpassing the 1,002 ft JP Morgan Tower in Houston.

Blog Entries

Looks perfect for the Cox convention center site. 😊

22. Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Austin is one of the biggest examples of a city that is benefitting from this "vaccuum-cleaner" effect going on. There are about a dozen cities around the country that are starting to suck the life out of the rest of the country.

Austin was once a cool, medium sized college city and state-capital with a great live-music scene. The hidden hill-country and dammed up Colorado River made a beautiful setting. Now, its becoming and over-populated, over-built, over-liberal badtion that is going to be ruined by it's own hipness.

High-tech business and Californication has created the new Austin. High tech expands but puts all of it's employees in the same, few cities. San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle and Austin all get more and more and more. Secondary benefit cities like Portland, SLC, Nashville, Charlotte, and NYC get some benefit. Even the US government feeds Austin's destruction when it just gave "more money to the rich" putting it's new War Futures operation there. Here in Denver, our economy is strong due to the mountains but Denver doesn't benefit greatly from huge high-tech centers. Yes, there is a lot here but its smaller operations and start-ups.

The few get it all in high tech - even to their own destruction, while other places just stagnate.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    The few get it all in high tech - even to their own destruction, while other places just stagnate.
    I think most cities will be glad they weren’t part of the high tech boom. They look at what has happened to these once-great cities and don’t want to replicate it.

25. Default Re: Austin! Continues to attract "High Tech"!!

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I think most cities will be glad they weren’t part of the high tech boom. They look at what has happened to these once-great cities and don’t want to replicate it.
    I don't think at all, its high tech in and of itself. Its that those gargantuan companies, as they try to expand out of San Jose/Seattle, have all concentrated in the same 5-6 cities. Couple this with support businesses, spinoffs and startups that always happen near the massive compnies and you get a city growing too fast that is unable to cope.

While l understand their desire to be near college talent, it wouldn't take that long to get universities in other cities to teach what the companies need. They need to do a vastly better job of spreading the wealth.

I still say that if these businesses actually worked with the government to locate certain operations in low growth cities, the benefit to their investment and our country would be massive. If you build it (and pay the salary), they will come.

Thread Information