Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fordson Hotel (formerly 21c Museum Hotel)

Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel considering OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I completely agree. I think OKC needs more developments like this to increase the vibrancy of the arts scene here. This will be a HUGE score if it happens. Downtown Louisville is very vibrant and a magnet for creative people, a definite model for OKC. It just so happens that they have one of these hotels.
    It's kinda funny & ironic. I was reading an article from earlier this month about a new Aloft Hotel to be built in downtown Louisville & it mentioned the Aloft as potential competition to none other than 21c. We have an Aloft, they have a 21c; they're getting an Aloft, we're possibly getting a 21c….

2. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel considering OKC

First, the law that was passed was NOT specific to Bricktown. It allows the school (in Bricktown's case ACM@UCO) to waive the distance requirement. It does NOT apply to churches.

Second, as has been pointed out, the distance requirement ONLY pertains to what is licensed in OKC as ABC-3, or liquor-only with no food. An ABC-2 establishment, with 50% or more food sales, could literally locate next door to an urban school or a church.

Third, a hotel would NEVER be licensed ABC-3. Even if they had a bar that was bar only (think Red Piano at the Skirvin), it would SHARE its license with the hotel's restaurant. That is, there would be a single (ABC-2) license issued for the entire hotel. There would not be multiple licences issued throughout the building. Therefore, the bar (even if in a separate room or part of the hotel) would be like the bar area in a restaurant.

It surprises me that there continues to be so much confusion on this board regarding this issue, as it is discussed often.

^

Thanks for the clarification. I'll bookmark this post and cut & paste it next time this issue comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I would be SHOCKED to ever see the Fred Jones building change hands. The Hall family holds Mr. Jones' legacy very dear, and he not only worked in that building on the Model T assembly line as a young man but later bought that building from Henry Ford himself. It's much more than a real estate investment property to them (of which they have plenty of others). I believe we can/will see something great there one day, but I doubt it will involve transfer of ownership. Does anyone recall whether the proposed/abandoned OCU Law relocation to that building involved lease or purchase? I'm betting the former.
    That's nice but why not put the building to use? Why dangle it around like an unused ornament?

5. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel considering OKC

I didn't say they wouldn't put it to use; in fact I said I expect something great will happen there. I just said that I don't expect they will ever SELL the place. Sheesh, you bothered to quote my post...how about actually READING it?

A video teaser about Steve's upcoming Sunday story:

NewsOK Videos

Wow! What a kick start this is going to be for Film Row / West Downtown. The entire downtown footprint is rapidly densifying. Who here would have believed all this would happen even three years ago? Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Wow! What a kick start this is going to be for Film Row / West Downtown. The entire downtown footprint is rapidly densifying. Who here would have believed all this would happen even three years ago? Amazing.
    I agree. This is a game changer for that area.

Excellent news! Although not the location I would have picked. This is the major "Anchor" film row and western DT has been needing. Fantastic! Super Duper!

Default Re: Fred Jones Building

At long last, the Fred Jones Building has found a new purpose and use -- as a 21c Museum Hotel:

NewsOK Videos

^^^^like!

Is this the new Hot spot for dt OKC? Film Row and Core to Shore? If I am excited over the development now, I might **** my pants when the Streetcar comes!

In that NewsOK video, president of 21c Museum Hotel, Craig Greenberg, speaks about his admiration for the old Fred Jones building and the opportunity to be a catalyst for redevelopment of Film Row.

So, how did he develop the knowledge and interest of this building and the area? Perhaps it was from this:

Officials, business leaders on GLI GLIDE trip to Oklahoma City, part of Fischer's local-option sales tax push - Insider Louisville

That was a visit from numerous Louisville businessmen and leaders to Oklahoma City from about a year ago.

Still love those comments about OKC! Stereotypes seem to take awhile to fade1

Here's a quick map that I threw together:

16. Default Re: Fred Jones Building

Steve Lackmeyer 10:44 a.m. We will have no shortage of things to talk about during the Christmas holidays.
    Guest 11:23 a.m. What are you writing about in your next big story? Be as vague or as specific as the story warrants.

Steve Lackmeyer 11:23 a.m. Something really cool for this Sunday's paper.
    This must be one of the Christmas presents Steve alluded to in the live chat. Or rather things we will be talking about for the Christmas season.

17. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel considering OKC

This is also great news for the old Sunshine Laundry building. Having this nearly across the street will make the building much more appealing.

So, it's confirmed: 21c Museum Hotel to the Fred Jones Building.

One North Hudson will still be redeveloped too, but perhaps it now will be housing rather than a hotel.

It also shows how good the sources are here on this site: 1) We were the first to put out the information about 21c coming to OKC; 2) we were the first to say there was a good chance it was going in the Fred Jones Building; 3) we reaffirmed the Fred Jones information even though it seemed unlikely; 4) I'm very sure that getting this information out there prompted the timing of the official announcement, as until two days ago nobody had talked or even hinted about this and I know for a fact it was extremely hush-hush.

That's a great old photo. About 1925 maybe?

Ok, here it is:

Photo by Andrew Shockley (taken July 2008)

Source: Old Ford Assemby Plant | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That's a great old building. But it doesn't scream hotel to me. I can see how a museum could be placed in there. Then again, 21c has done this with other historic buildings, and their hotel concept is a bit different from the norm, so it might be a better fit than I think.

Will be very interesting to see their plans as to how they are going to renovate this.

Keep in mind the Jones family owns much more in the immediate are than just this one building. Will be interesting to see what they do with everything else.

You know they will need considerable parking but what about the warehouse structures?

Disappointed it's that far away from the action

That building alone is 173,000 square feet, compared to the Colcord at just over 100,000 and they have 108 rooms plus a restaurant and a decent amount of meeting space.

I suspect this building will yield at least 150 rooms, even allowing for a large art gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Disappointed it's that far away from the action
    Yes, I was about to say the same thing. Seems a little premature for that area.

25. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel to Fred Jones Building

As far as Project 180 reconstruction goes on Main St. is Lee right now. On Sheridan, the Film Row streetscaping goes to Shartel. I wonder if there will be work on the streets around the hotel area.

Thread Information