Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Fordson Hotel (formerly 21c Museum Hotel)

Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel to Fred Jones Building

Will probably go with garage parking it would seem. Perhaps that's the Alliance's role.

Assuming a garage or parking on one of those lots, there still isn't a lot of area to develop; nothing that would allow for several hundred living untis, unless they wipe out all the smaller buildings directly south of FJ's (and I doubt that will happen):

These are some of the buildings directly south of the proposed hotel:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Were I king for a day ... these two get reworked into some combination of eatery/retail/office. The space to the west of these, on over to Classen, becomes ground level retail, topped with multi-level parking, topped with one to three level office and three to six level residential. Oh, to be king for a day.

Blog Entries

We should try to save the buildings to the south IMO.

6. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel to Fred Jones Building

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    We should try to save the buildings to the south IMO.
    The buildings Pete posted are the ONLY structures worth saving to the south of the FJ building. The rest are nondescript, connecting buildings in the form of loading bays that should be demolished. With the connecting buildings gone, you have still have tons of space on the lot. Or say they only save two, there is just so much vacant land, empty structures, and POTENTIAL.

Maybe not for several hundred residential units, but the area could be so much more than what is currently present.

Blog Entries

Sorry, meant save the ones he posted. I go by there all the time and agree the other buildings are expendable.

Okay, spent some time plotting ownership of properties in West Downtown (WeDo?? ) along Main, Sheridan and California.

Yellow is owned by Jones family, pink is City/Police owned, green has been been developed / redeveloped to a decent standard or is already in the hands of motivated developers.

Properties at the SW corner of Sheridan & Shartel are already owned by Chip Fudge; he has said he would like to buy all the lots directly north owned by Irwin Business Machines but thus far the existing owner has been stubborn. Those properties, along with the cluster directly north (Dagwell Storage), seem to be key in linking the existing Film Row development with 21c / Main Street. And of course, the City/Police doing something with all those surface parking lots.

Since Pete (kinda) brought up nomenclature....

I made a quick mod to my previous map to show the blocks composing Film Row.

Film Row extends from Main to California, and from Walker to Classen.

Personally, I'd like to call the parts west of Sheridan as "West Film Row". Or perhaps it shoud be "Film Row West". Either way, this is the new frontier to conquer.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Strictly for traffic reasons, south of FJ would make a great location for a multi-story building that included:

Level 1: Grocery (Preferably something of quality like Whole Foods that likes urban locations)
    Level 2: Office
    Level 3: Housing
    Level 4: Housing
    Level 5: Housing

Garage goes between FJ and this building.

This would provide really easy access to a new, grocery store for not only all of downtown but also lots of people with access to Classen and the highway system.

Most importantly, I'd like to see that whole block get developed very rapidly if 21c goes there to help provide a bookend for Sheridan and the west side of downtown. I suspect again, the Alliance is putting a ton of focus on that area right now with their planning. Getting a few balls rolling now would make that whole corridor could explode with development in just a matter of a few years. Faster than we are seeing in Midtown actually.

On edit: Even if it can't be included today in plans, I hope a Sheridan line from end-to-end is in the near future for our streetcar enthusiats. If there ever was a need for a pedestrian extender in the downtown OKC area, The Steel Yard to 21c and everything in between will represent much of the best of OKC Urban lifestyle.

Sid, I would have "like'd" that post if it had been possible.

I have to say that I don't keep up with the streetcar thread(s) for the most part because all the details (technicalities/politics) are boring to me (sorry!). So I'll ask you: do you think a linear route along Sheridan, as you have suggested, is a possibility for Phase 2?

Ok, this is a zoom-in of Pete's earlier map post showing lot ownership.

What is the big building (with that huge parking lot) just south of the jail? The Google map says "Oklahoma City General Services". Nice vague term.

Is that part of the jail complex? What is the future of this building -- i.e. is it to remain or has someone metioned any redevelopment possibilities?

Strictly for traffic reasons, south of FJ would make a great location for a multi-story building that included:

Level 1: Grocery (Preferably something of quality like Whole Foods that likes urban locations)
    Level 2: Office
    Level 3: Housing
    Level 4: Housing
    Level 5: Housing

Garage goes between FJ and this building.

This would provide really easy access to a new, grocery store for not only all of downtown but also lots of people with access to Classen and the highway system.

Most importantly, I'd like to see that whole block get developed very rapidly if 21c goes there to help provide a bookend for Sheridan and the west side of downtown. I suspect again, the Alliance is putting a ton of focus on that area right now with their planning. Getting a few balls rolling now would make that whole corridor could explode with development in just a matter of a few years. Faster than we are seeing in Midtown actually.

On edit: Even if it can't be included today in plans, I hope a Sheridan line from end-to-end is in the near future for our streetcar enthusiats. If there ever was a need for a pedestrian extender in the downtown OKC area, The Steel Yard to 21c and everything in between will represent much of the best of OKC Urban lifestyle.
    How about a Courtyard and Pedestrian path between FJ and the 5 story development and a parking garage on the NE corner of Sheridan/FJ Road. Make FJ Road emergency access only and develop it for pedestrians.

^

It's City of OKC Fleet Services for all the various city vehicles (maintenance, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

It's City of OKC Fleet Services for all the various city vehicles (maintenance, etc.).
    Oh, ok. Well that's not going anywhere, then.

All those pink City properties and other surface lots are prime candidates for another Metropolitan / Level / Steel Yard / Edge scaled housing project or 2, 3 or 4.

That area desperately needs living units to bring it alive, on top of anything the Jones family may do with their properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Oh, ok. Well that's not going anywhere, then.
    Remember, OKC has a huge fleet maintenance facility off of sw15th and Portland. Be nice if they would consolidate to that location.

Blog Entries

With today's announcement of Blair Humphries' resignation to go to work on the Downtown Airpark project does this location now make more sense?

I like that idea but that would mean the garage would have to have Classen access. Doable but less than ideal. Mid-block garage access is problematic, especially for a wide road like Classen. If you wanted to make that work, you'd need to rework Classen a bit to include dedicated turn lanes. All of that is doable but would add the redevelopment costs of the area. I think I'd rather leave Fred Jones open and use it for the garage access and let Classen continue to act more as a main artery to Reno. Now, a minor two-lane with lots of pedestrian space as the new Fred Jones Road? You bet.
    I'm confused. the NE corner of Sheridan and Fred Jones road is a block removed from Classen. I'm right in thinking you're talking about your proposed development going on the same block as 21c, not on the other side of Sheridan, yes?

The garage I'm proposing would only have access from Sheridan.

I am curious what the 21c people have been told in terms of future development in that area and what is to come to entice them to pick that location. Are there certain things city officials can share with other potential developers as far as future development of areas? For example, can someone say, "We have a developer looking to build 300+ apartments within two blocks of here with ground floor retail, etc"

Just learned that the estimated renovation price for this project will be around $50 million.

To put that in perspective, the Colcord renovation was only $16 million. Very different buildings obviously, but this project will be more than three times the investment for 138 rooms versus 108 at the Colcord.

And how much was the Skirvin renovation? Around the same amount if I remember correctly.

The Skirvin was a $55 million renovation.

Do we know how much of this coming from Fred Jones Family and how much is coming from 21c?

For now, we don't know who is paying what and I wouldn't be surprised if we never did as the relationship has been labeled a 'partnership'.

25. Default Re: Fred Jones Building

I'm excited at what is happening to the West side of Downtown. The wonderbread factory and the Fred Jones bldg used to capture my imagination as a kid driving on the old elevated crosstown. I'm so stoked about this project!

Thread Information