Widgets Magazine

Thread: Historic 1908 Kress Building in Enid to be destroyed.

Default Historic 1908 Kress Building in Enid to be destroyed.

http://www.enidnews.com/featuredstor...embering-Kress

The building is in better shape than any building in Bricktown before Bricktown became Bricktown.

2. Default Re: Historic 1908 Kress Building in Enid to be destroyed.

It's tough being an architect in a place where the majority of the population places little or no value on the built environment.

What we build is the history of us. When we destroy what we built, we erase who we were and can't fully understand who we are.

Default Re: Historic 1908 Kress Building in Enid to be destroyed.

Wow, that is unfortunate. I didn't even know this building existed until today, but she looks like a beauty. A shame they can't(won't) find a way to restore her. People really need to learn to preserve things instead of just trashing them and moving on to next best thing.

Yeah, I actually came across that article yesterday. Very sad. I don't know why they couldn't find anyone who wanted to save it / repurpose it.

Here's the photo from the article:

It's not a big or majestic building. But it's loaded to the hilt with historic charm (not to mention an actual vibrant history).

Enid is going to regret losing this.

I don't think the problem lies in either the original builder or the current owner (I'm talking in the abstract, not regarding this particular structure), it lies in between, with the previous owners who failed to care for structures like these.

For things of value and permanence, people who own them should think of themselves as caretakers for those who will follow and enjoy them. It's not merely a building with an income stream, it's not simply a painting to hang on a sun-splashed wall, it isn't an antique car to be driven every day. Like the Patek Philippe timepiece, you never actually own one, you merely look after it for the next generation.

Unless you buy something with this in mind - and are prepared to spend the money to preserve it - then you won't be a good steward of it, and may be selfishly causing its loss. Whether a building, work of art, antique car, or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Yeah, I actually came across that article yesterday. Very sad. I don't know why they couldn't find anyone who wanted to save it / repurpose it.

Here's the photo from the article:

I was just about to post that lol

Here are some more:

Really sucks they tore down all of those buildings to. That was an awesome street wall. Has Europe and other countries around the globe done the same urban renewal thing, or is just us?

HangryHippo Guest

That's a damn shame and there's no reason that couldn't be repurposed.

Thread Information