Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Big employer taking hard look at OKC

Default Big employer taking hard look at OKC

One to two years ago, a large national company considered OKC for a massive distribution center but then pulled back.

However, they have been back several times over the last few months and are looking hard at West OKC (I-40 / Council, approximately) for a 2 million square foot distribution center.

Nobody knows the other cities in contention but OKC is in the hunt and they may be making a decision by the end of the year.

Would be a ton of jobs and a very prestigious win for PR purposes.

This is all VERY hush-hush which is why I am not naming the company. In fact, this company is using a consulting firm a code name.

Hopefully we'll be hearing more soon.

Default Re: Big employer taking hard look at OKC

I'd kill for an Amazon distribution center.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Why?
    Faster ship times on many items and I bet it would be a very successful sitting on 3 interstates, plus it would be a nice name company to have in OKC.

One to two years ago, a large national company considered OKC for a massive distribution center but then pulled back.

However, they have been back several times over the last few months and are looking hard at West OKC (I-40 / Council, approximately) for a 2 million square foot distribution center.

Nobody knows the other cities in contention but OKC is in the hunt and they may be making a decision by the end of the year.

This is all VERY hush-hush which is why I am not naming the company. In fact, this company is using a consulting firm and using a code name.

That is very interesting, Pete. There is certainly plenty of land that would easily support that kind of development in that area. It would be nice if some day something like could move into the skeleton from the cancelled Corning plant.

Ikea, Tiger Direct, or perhaps Target? Any of those would be awesome. Yes, an Amazon would be sweet!

Hmmmmm. The Mystery Distro Center. It doesn't have the ring of "Mystery Tower" but sounds like a great thing on the horizon!

Interesting. Might help to get council redone like it was supposed to one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Ikea, Tiger Direct, or perhaps Target? Any of those would be awesome. Yes, an Amazon would be sweet!
    I don't normally buy through amazon but isn't it one of the sites that Oklahomans do not get charged tax? If they put in a distribution center, they will have a state presence and will be required to collect tax from OK buyers. Not arguing good or bad, just pointing out.

As pointed out earlier, having an Amazon distribution center here means they would have to collect sales tax. I would rather have something like a Target or Walmart center.

I seriously doubt it'd be Amazon. They just completed a distribution center at the Alliance airport industrial park just north of Ft Worth.

This is all VERY hush-hush which is why I am not naming the company. In fact, this company is using a consulting firm and using a code name.

Did they choose to build somewhere else or did they just delay the building of the distribution center?

Interesting.... Hope we score this.

14. Default Re: Big employer taking hard look at OKC

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    As pointed out earlier, having an Amazon distribution center here means they would have to collect sales tax.
    It shouldn't matter because you pay a Use Tax on the stuff you buy anyways.

...right?

15. Default Re: Big employer taking hard look at OKC

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Amazon will be eventually collecting sales tax anyway. They just have to get it worked out internally. They will claim nexus based on where you, the customer are and pay accordingly.
    All the more reason to have a Prime account and get free 2 day shipping on everything.

Yes, that would be great for the state so that Amazon would then be required to collect the sales tax that people should be paying for anyways. Congress is working on the Marketplace Fairness Act that would require internet retailers to collect it regardless of state presence. This is all a good thing as it gives needed revenue to the state (you are supposed to pay this sales tax anyways so quit crying about a tax hike) and it better protects local retailers that have people shop and try things out in their stores but then go buy online.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Interesting. Might help to get council redone like it was supposed to one of these days.
    S. Council might be the worst stretch of road in OKC. Intersections south of I40 need to be redone in with concrete and not asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    S. Council might be the worst stretch of road in OKC. Intersections south of I40 need to be redone in with concrete and not asphalt.
    Yeah I don't think it was planned to have that much semi-truck traffic when the road was built. This has really torn up the road. I know that there was a Bond a few years ago and this road was on the list, so I just keep waiting for it to get done, especially with all the stuff that keeps going in over there.

I'm really curious as to who this could be.

So many companies have huge distribution centers in Ft Worth... Who doesn't have a FTW center who would be a positive PR boost?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I'm really curious as to who this could be.

So many companies have huge distribution centers in Ft Worth... Who doesn't have a FTW center who would be a positive PR boost?
    Could it be Target? Would that count as a PR boost?

Blog Entries

21. Default Re: Big employer taking hard look at OKC

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Yes, that would be great for the state so that Amazon would then be required to collect the sales tax that people should be paying for anyways. Congress is working on the Marketplace Fairness Act that would require internet retailers to collect it regardless of state presence. This is all a good thing as it gives needed revenue to the state (you are supposed to pay this sales tax anyways so quit crying about a tax hike) and it better protects local retailers that have people shop and try things out in their stores but then go buy online.
    After fighting that whole "internet tax for all things!!!" for YEARS, Amazon has recently switched their tune and is now pushing for it.

Why?

Because they're looking to start SAME DAY delivery of hundreds of thousands of items. This will require distribution hubs all over the place, and the tax thing was somehow a byproduct of all that...There were quite a few articles on this topic a few months back.

Blog Entries

There are a number of people in the city who should know who believe this deal is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    There are a number of people in the city who should know who believe this deal is done.
    Done as in closed and coming to OKC, or done and going somewhere else?

Roy Williams just stated Terex will be hiring approximately 1500 people in his presentation to the City Council. This is after Terex exited the road paving business - not sure exactly what type of equipment manufacturing the new venture will entail. Oilfield related maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Roy Williams just stated Terex will be hiring approximately 1500 people in his presentation to the City Council. This is after Terex exited the road paving business - not sure exactly what type of equipment manufacturing the new venture will entail. Oilfield related maybe?
    I had read a while back it was cranes. They had 3 on display last month out in the front of their complex at I-40 and Morgan Rd.

Thread Information