Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: In-n-Out Burger

Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

My first job was a summer job working as a yard boy at a local apartment complex. Pretty much anything that needed to be done was my job. I was fourteen and got paid a little over $4 an hour. I worked 40 hour weeks because my dad made me. So while the other kids were out swimming and playing, I was working. I did that for 3 summers before taking a job as a sacker at the grocery store. That afforded me more time with my friends but less money. But since it was part time I was able to work it during school as well.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    And therein lies the problem.

It used to be that fast food jobs and other similar jobs were done by teenagers so they could have money to go on dates and go to the mall. Somewhere along the way, people got it in their head that punching up a burger and coke on a register and asking if you wanted fries with that should demand a living wage. Not every job can be a living wage. And there's a lot of jobs out there that were never meant to be living wage jobs. Gathering up the shopping carts at Walmart was never meant to support a family of four.
    Oh, yes, I absolutely remember when FDR established the minimum wage solely to give teens entry level jobs so that they can have some spending cash and get work experience.

Erm... Actually, no, he didn't say that. At all. Not even close. What he actually said was:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FDRQuoteChuck.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	12754

Yes, the bottom line is that the huge percentage of minimum wage jobs are staffed by adults and many of those are providing for others as well.

And a lot of those people are living and working in places much more expensive than this part of the country.

In early 2015 there was talk of an In N Out location at the Rayzor Ranch commercial development in Denton. Anybody heard anything about this? I would love for them to start moving up I-35 toward Oklahoma!!!

My first job at age 14 was being the janitor for my dad's school administration office. It paid around $4 per hour, when the minimum wage at that time was $3.35. Back then, people still smoked cigarettes at board meetings, so I remember having to empty and clean dirty ash trays. I did that all through high school, and also worked part-time for a year or so at a local jewelry store.

When I got to college in Dallas, I was thrilled to get a job at Bloomingdale's that paid $5.50 an hour. The minimum wage was still $3.35. I worked all the way through college so I could pay for an apartment in the summer and not have to go home to (what was then) boring Oklahoma. Most of the jobs were grunt work but they paid the bills. Clerk at Nutri System, cashier at Dress Barn, clerical work for a guy in some business I can't even remember.

The most remarkable job was the summer after my first year of college. Pepsi was doing a modern-day version of the Pepsi Challenge taste test and was hiring kids from college to travel all over the DFW metro and operate the challenge. They paid $15 per hour, plus overtime (minimum wage still $3.35). Most weeks we clocked at least 50 hours. What a windfall that was!

I failed to mention my later jobs. Sacker in a grocery store for which I made $1.10/hr and after I got off work I'd ride the Cushman down to the end of town and help the widow woman who owned the Help Yourself Laundry. Made $2 a night for an hour and a halfs work sweeping, mopping, etc.

One thing is consistently left out of this thread. Back when we made low wages as teens to do these service jobs, Mom and Dad (or sometimes just Dad) went to work for big companies, many industrial, that paid good wages and good benefits, pensions, etc. Today? Mom and Dad are very often having to work in the service economy because all of our "good" jobs are in foreign countries. For those with few skills, it's a different world today. They can't go turn a screw at the same job for 30 years and raise a family.

8. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    In early 2015 there was talk of an In N Out location at the Rayzor Ranch commercial development in Denton. Anybody heard anything about this? I would love for them to start moving up I-35 toward Oklahoma!!!
    They really are expanding slowly in TX. I was amazed that Denton still didn't have one last time I was in town

In high school, my first real job was at Wal-Mart as a cashier. $5.50/hour. My mom owned a store in Tulsa called Kabet's and I worked there for $5/hour when I was 13.

Lubbock is getting an In-n-Out, and they're 5 hours from Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    They really are expanding slowly in TX. I was amazed that Denton still didn't have one last time I was in town
    In and Out is known to expand very very slow. I read I forget where they will open a place a days drove from a distribution center. There is one in Dallas now, so we will eventually get one.

Comments on their Facebook page say there is a Coming Soon sign in Denton, TX, just off I-35. Just need them to keep moving north....

Honestly, by the time we see one in OKC the love affair with In-n-Out will have passed its expiration date.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Honestly, by the time we see one in OKC the love affair with In-n-Out will have passed its expiration date.
    I agree, I'd rather have a Shake Shack here.

Habit burger is good too !!!

And the cycle begins again.

lol, saw this while searching. Not sure exactly where it's going to be.

https://dentonian.com/2016/04/11/in-...pen-in-denton/

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    I agree, I'd rather have a Shake Shack here.
    Can you explain to me what the deal is with SS? I went to the one in WeHo a few times and it wasn't bad but the burger had a really weird taste. I hope they didn't add their secret sauce, but it is consistent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    And the cycle begins again.
    This had me cracking up. I love this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    lol, saw this while searching. Not sure exactly where it's going to be.

https://dentonian.com/2016/04/11/in-...pen-in-denton/
    Lol at that source. Kevin Roden is my city councilman and a good guy (agree or disagree with his stances). We have some haters here in Denton.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Lol at that source. Kevin Roden is my city councilman and a good guy (agree or disagree with his stances). We have some haters here in Denton.
    So is the In N Out in Denton going to be in the Rayzor Ranch (?) development on I-35 & Hwy. 380 intersection?

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    So is the In N Out in Denton going to be in the Rayzor Ranch (?) development on I-35 & Hwy. 380 intersection?
    From everything I've seen, yes.

Which is good, cause when I'm down that away that's the first area I hit up for gas and food before getting deeper in the nightmare of the metroplex.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    From everything I've seen, yes.

Which is good, cause when I'm down that away that's the first area I hit up for gas and food before getting deeper in the nightmare of the metroplex.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Oh, yes, I absolutely remember when FDR established the minimum wage solely to give teens entry level jobs so that they can have some spending cash and get work experience.

Erm... Actually, no, he didn't say that. At all. Not even close. What he actually said was:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FDRQuoteChuck.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	12754
    Not sure why you singled me out for your little passive aggressive post. Someone earlier asked what people's first jobs were and what they were paid. Many people other than me answered the question. Quoting FDR doesn't help your case. He expanded government and gave people the idea that they should be able to do a job that required minimal skill and intelligence but still get paid the same as someone doing a job that took considerable skill and intelligence.

Let's please get back to discussing In-n-Out.

Thanks.

Thread Information