Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OKC Roads 4th Worst in Nation

Default Re: OKC Roads 4th Worst in Nation

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I don't know. I sort of feel like as a pedestrian that there has been an extreme bias shown toward road expansion. Despite the fact that so many people in OKC very publically wish we had more walkable solutions.
    Oklahoma City is building sidewalks. I think sidewalks should be a part of all future road building, expansion and improvements with a focus on populated areas. You should be able to safely walk or drive to any business in a populated area. I don't know why they ever stopped building them in neighborhoods. I always thought that neighborhoods with sidewalks looked better. Not to mention it encouraged people to get out, walk around and know their neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I don't know. I sort of feel like as a pedestrian that there has been an extreme bias shown toward road expansion. Despite the fact that so many people in OKC very publically wish we had more walkable solutions.
    That seems fair. Looking at it from a pedestrian point of view, I would agree OKC has spent waaaaaaaay more on roads and not really cared much about sidewalks and pedestrian oriented features. I do think, those days are numbered though and OKC is really starting get on the ball with mass transit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Can we blame any of this on our lovely Okie extreme weather conditions?
    No, instead, Oklahomans would far rather drive on bad roads than pay a penny or two more on a gallon of gas to make them better. Surely, car repair and tire sellers, like Firestone, would rather not see anything more done to make roads better, either.

Sorry to post this in an old thread, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Why are there divots in the road at intersections? Specifically, the Nw 63rd and May intersection, there are lumps in the road about 10-15 feet away from and up to the white line showing you where to stop on red. They are really all over the metro among deavily traveled areas. Is it a flaw in design? Did they allow people to drive on them too soon and car resting at the light made them sink?

No!

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Sorry to post this in an old thread, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Why are there divots in the road at intersections? Specifically, the Nw 63rd and May intersection, there are lumps in the road about 10-15 feet away from and up to the white line showing you where to stop on red. They are really all over the metro among deavily traveled areas. Is it a flaw in design? Did they allow people to drive on them too soon and car resting at the light made them sink?
    Good observation. When most of the interchanges were made we had less traffic. It is a design flaw. With hot weather and hot engines it degrades the asphalt over time. More truck traffic.

What they have been doing is redoing interchanges with concrete. But this is exoensive and more disruptive so its taking years to get to them.

When driving start looking around and will notice more and more contcrefe intersections yet still have way more to do than is done. Cost is a huge factor. In some cases its still cheaper to redo in asphalt 4 times vs concrete 1 time so its gonna be years before these are all fixed, if ever. I think they wait til the road is completely redone before switching to concrete. A repave won’t always trigger concrete its a remove/relay asphalt. Concrete requires deepr fix to rebuild base and takes much much longer.

Hey, no podium finish! At least as of the time of the OP

Thread Information