Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hole-in-the-wall establishments

Default Re: Hole-in-the-wall establishments

Halftime Grill on Newcastle Road in Wheatland. Fried Chicken almost as good as Eischen's and stiff drinks

I have never driven by (Bearz) 3020 Club (30th and Penn) without wanting to stop in and check it out. And I've driven by there hundreds of times without actually stopping. Always on my way to do something else . . . Anyone ever been in there?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Please describe this place.
    Small. Very small. I think their fire code capacity is 35 or something like that. I can't remember if it's a beer only bar cause I only went there one time. Talking about Martha's on 10th. Don't know what it was in the 70s since I was a new born in '78.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I have never driven by (Bearz) 3020 Club (30th and Penn) without wanting to stop in and check it out. And I've driven by there hundreds of times without actually stopping. Always on my way to do something else . . . Anyone ever been in there?
    Went there a few times when I was at ocu. They took over the space next door so it is a little bigger than it looks. Beer bar but the big mugs are cheap and cold. Dartboard and pool tables. It is definitely a dive bar. Used to be a lot of the ocu frat boys hanging there

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Went there a few times when I was at ocu. They took over the space next door so it is a little bigger than it looks. Beer bar but the big mugs are cheap and cold. Dartboard and pool tables. It is definitely a dive bar. Used to be a lot of the ocu frat boys hanging there
    A friend of a friend owns that bar. Forgot about it too, as I've only been there a few times. His family is up there kicking all the time too.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    A friend of a friend owns that bar. Forgot about it too, as I've only been there a few times. His family is up there kicking all the time too.
    Does Jerome still own it?

There is some place up in Edmond off Coltrane and 2nd that a church buddy of mine told me was pretty hard dive bar. Can't remember the name though.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    There is some place up in Edmond off Coltrane and 2nd that a church buddy of mine told me was pretty hard dive bar. Can't remember the name though.
    It's called Cee Gee's Club now. I can't remember what it was called the one and only time I was in there back in the '80s. I think it had some sort of "Cowboy"/"Western" label back then. It reminded me of some of the dive bars I used to hang out in back in the '70s (except less "dumpy"). (closest thing to a "bar" for me now is Sean Cummings')

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Does Jerome still own it?
    No, his name is Raphael.

It's called Cee Gee's Club now. I can't remember what it was called the one and only time I was in there back in the '80s. I think it had some sort of "Cowboy"/"Western" label back then. It reminded me of some of the dive bars I used to hang out in back in the '70s (except less "dumpy"). (closest thing to a "bar" for me now is Sean Cummings')
    Yeah, it was definitely a western themed bar. It was a regular place my mom would go when I was a kid.

By George tavern @ 901 NW 64th

Ice Event Center-Great Catfish and Hamburgers on NE 36th between Kelley and Everest
    BoBo's- Great Late night Chicken option on NE 23rd between Kelley and MLK. Get there around 8pm. Chicken is perfect at that time

The Wilshire Club [/thread]

Seriously, it's a great dive. We spent one evening with another couple and we hit up Wilshire Club, Store Club, The Porthole, and Mike's. Good little sample of the NW side's dive bars (although Mike's might not qualify)
    OMG, you made it to the Porthole? Always wondered about that place. Did you bring your swim trunks and whistles? Somehow I imagine being overwhelmed with the smell of smoke, chlorine, stale beer, and man musk.

I accidentally stopped in at the Porthole for a quick beer and a bump, on the way back out to Jones, one night, before I learned the reputation of the place. Thankfully, there was just one old sop, at a stool far down the bar, who didn't try to strike up a conversation.

fyi: a beer and a bump means a draft beer and a shot of whiskey. not whatever it was [you] might have thought =).

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    OMG, you made it to the Porthole? Always wondered about that place. Did you bring your swim trunks and whistles? Somehow I imagine being overwhelmed with the smell of smoke, chlorine, stale beer, and man musk.
    Might be the perfect place to sport that new bacon deodorant out at!

So, it does have that reputation? We had a hunch, but weren't sure. It actually had more females than male, and the best talent behind the bar.

I accidentally stopped in at the Porthole for a quick beer and a bump, on the way back out to Jones, one night, before I learned the reputation of the place. Thankfully, there was just one old sop, at a stool far down the bar, who didn't try to strike up a conversation.

fyi: a beer and a bump means a draft beer and a shot of whiskey. not whatever it was [you] might have thought =).
    At the Porthole, a "bump" could probably mean several things, though I thought it odd you were going to a bar to do a line of coke.

So, it does have that reputation? We had a hunch, but weren't sure. It actually had more females than male, and the best talent behind the bar.
    Was the pool open?

There's a pool? We stayed toward the front of the house, didn't wander too much.

There's a pool? We stayed toward the front of the house, didn't wander too much.
    It was known for that at one time. Kinda had a bathhouse rep. Never went there so it's all urban legend to me.

Cookies (next to Someplace Else Deli)

Great suggestions everyone! Been to a few of these places now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres_my_shirt View Post
    Great suggestions everyone! Been to a few of these places now.
    So where all have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    So where all have you been?
    Did you really mean "So where have y[ou]' all been?"

I wonder how the hole-in-the-wall dive bars of today compare to The Crutch . . . The Red Barrel . . . The Sawmill Club . . . The Nook . . . Punkin's Place . . . The Corner Lounge . . . and The Hobby Hut. Not to mention Maurice's Club, The Eagles Nest, and The Frog Pond. All gone, but not forgotten. =)

Did you really mean "So where have y[ou]' all been?"

I wonder how the hole-in-the-wall dive bars of today compare to The Crutch . . . The Red Barrel . . . The Sawmill Club . . . The Nook . . . Punkin's Place . . . The Corner Lounge . . . and The Hobby Hut. Not to mention Maurice's Club, The Eagles Nest, and The Frog Pond. All gone, but not forgotten. =)
    ummmm, no. I meant "where ALL have you been?"

(I figured that's what you meant . . .)

Thread Information