|image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

Links

Abandoned Oklahoma
    County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc2.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	6530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc3.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	6531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc4.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	6532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc5.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	6533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc6.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	6534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc7.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	6535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc8.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	6536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc9.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	6537  

Default Re: Sunshine Cleaners - 1st and Classen Boulevard

A friend of mine owns it, it was pretty much in the same shape when his father acquired it a long time ago. The brewery idea was one of a few different concepts that have been considered.

3. Default Re: Sunshine Cleaners - 1st and Classen Boulevard

Yeah, at one point the owners of COOP really wanted to be in there, but couldn't get any traction for whatever reason. Now they are expanding in a new space near the airport.

I don't really know what happened to that deal. I've had some ideas for the building but I know he has been busy with other projects. I think part of the issue is managing it (and other property) for his mother since his father passed away and not having ultimate decision making authority.

5. Default Re: Sunshine Cleaners - 1st and Classen Boulevard

I think it was just too big of a fish to fry. COOP desperately needs to expand. They are beyond maxed in their current space. The laundry would have needed...well, just look at those photos. The space they are going into is a large, dry, white boxed space and won't take a lot to get them up to speed doing what they do, making beer.

However, I think they would still like ultimately to be in a space like that one and believe they see this current move as a stepping stone. They understand the tourism appeal of a brewery, and a location in the inner city makes more sense for something like that.

Interesting info, bluedog and Urbanized. Thanks.

I hope that whenever it does get renovated (someday) that the neon sign is preserved. That is just too great to lose.

This area is a bit orphaned from the main action right now. But 5-10 years from now, it could be a completely different story as the revitalization effect spreads west.

I agree, I drive by this building nearly daily since I live and work nearby. It's great architecture and would love to see it renovated into lofts, a business incubator, or a brewery/bier garten. Hope the sign stays!

Def the sign has to be preserved. I had no idea how bad the inside was. Good but sad pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think it was just too big of a fish to fry. COOP desperately needs to expand. They are beyond maxed in their current space. The laundry would have needed...well, just look at those photos. The space they are going into is a large, dry, white boxed space and won't take a lot to get them up to speed doing what they do, making beer.

However, I think they would still like ultimately to be in a space like that one and believe they see this current move as a stepping stone. They understand the tourism appeal of a brewery, and a location in the inner city makes more sense for something like that.
    I talked to one of the owners a few months ago and that is exactly what he said. They are moving out west of town for the time being because they desperately need space but their 5 year plan calls for them to find a new location in the core. He mentioned south of the river or in core to shore, but I'm sure they're looking everywhere.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I talked to one of the owners a few months ago and that is exactly what he said. They are moving out west of town for the time being because they desperately need space but their 5 year plan calls for them to find a new location in the core. He mentioned south of the river or in core to shore, but I'm sure they're looking everywhere.
    It really would be amazing if they could get this building up and running again and put the brewery in here. Is it too much work for them to ever take on or did they just not want to do it at this point?

11. Default Re: Sunshine Cleaners - 1st and Classen Boulevard

Like I said in my previous post, they are in the brewing business, and right now they can't brew enough beer to keep up with incredible demand. They are currently able to can only three of their beers, but want (and have demand) to can nearly all of them. They also plan on expanding to out-of-state markets. They need a large new facility YESTERDAY. They don't have time for a back-from-the-dead remodel that would likely take a year or two, and which would also require much more complicated financing.

They have already leased new space, are under construction, and taking delivery on new equipment. That particular train has left the station.

HangryHippo Guest

Like I said in my previous post, they are in the brewing business, and right now they can't brew enough beer to keep up with incredible demand. They are currently able to can only three of their beers, but want (and have demand) to can nearly all of them. They also plan on expanding to out-of-state markets. They need a large new facility YESTERDAY. They don't have time for a back-from-the-dead remodel that would likely take a year or two, and which would also require much more complicated financing.

They have already leased new space, are under construction, and taking delivery on new equipment. That particular train has left the station.
    Well, that's a damn shame. But glad to hear that their business is booming. Always nice to see the locals performing well.

Hard to believe they've grown that much in such a short time. Great success story.

Now I understand why I can't get the DNR all of the time. I love that beer.

Default Re: Sunshine Cleaners

This was just posted on Steve's chat by the owner of this property:

Comment From Sean Brownlee
    So, Steve and maybe others are finally seeing the opportunity for something to happen along Classen and for the Sunshine Laundry Building, I have been hoping for this to happen. The only offers or proposals I have received were from investors trying to steal a great opportunity that has just now come to fruition. I am very open to reasonable proposals and have opened an email SunshineLaundryOKC@yahoo.com. Please inquire, ask questions, and start a conversation. I will keep Steve and this blog aware of our progress. Interesting that you mentioned Patient Money earlier…

Any updates on this beautiful old building? With all the action at this intersection (21C and others) has that helped create interest in this place? As others have said, I would love to see new life in this neat old building.

This is great news and they are established developers, which gives confidence in it being done well.

Ben Sellers, Jonathan Dodson and David Wanzer, the trio redeveloping the Tower Theater in Uptown, purchased the property at 1000 NW 1 on Thursday for $725,000. The three intend to start renovations in 2016 with completion in one year.

FANTASTIC news!

This makes me very happy... Classen is really heating up and there is still so many other projects that could be done there.

These three guys are becoming a real force in urban OKC.

Super excited about this. Considering the state of the building, does one year timeline seem a little accelerated?

It seems every commercial project is budgeted at one year and then they take as long as they take.

Very excited to see the plans from Jeremy Gardner who not only does great work but seems to be getting tons of it from urban developers these days.

*insert obligatory seinfeld reference here*

23. Default Re: Sunshine Cleaners

When I mentioned in the thread about the old Triples that there was another major, transformative transaction pending on Classen this the one I was talking about. They've been working on this deal for some months. Super-exciting.

What an excellently timed and located development. A single block up from the 21c Museum Hotel & Residences at 21c developments, timed such that they might be able to quickly take advantage of the upcoming legal changes, this could be a home run.

The law hasn't changed yet. I'm impressed by how forward-thinking this team is, but it seems like this is an awesome project for later.

As a native Okie I'll believe liquor reform when I see it. No Supreme Court coming to our rescue on this.

Thread Information