Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lift

Default Re: 10th and Shartel Midtown Apartments

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I wonder what kind of high-rise could we realistically expect though? I really think if OKC becomes progressive enough will having aggressive developers to tackle this, we could perhaps support a 55-60 story high-rise such as The Austonian in Austin, in about 5 years.

Downtown Austin High Rise Condo Features Built-in Entertaining Spaces

This would be awesome in the C2S area overlooking the new park.
    I've always thought something like The Austonian would fit in OKC.

I think the next high rise residential could be part of the convention center hotel building. The Fort Worth Omni is the type of development I can see working. The residential area is the glass tower above the lower hotel areas. (It is also very similar to the one Cuatrodemayo used in this boulevard rendering.)

If everything proposed comes to fruition as designed, then rental units will increase by 86.8% in, what, 2.5 years?

We only need to add 243 more proposed units to double the amount of units currently available downtown. That seems almost a slam dunk with whatever MR builds on 10th/Hudson.

I'm actually really excited that everything going on in Midtown is north of 9th...all this excellent development should encourage developers between North Midtown and the CBD to knock it out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I've always thought something like The Austonian would fit in OKC.
    Yeah, I think it is just a matter of time now! Will be really exciting to see one announced.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I think the next high rise residential could be part of the convention center hotel building. The Fort Worth Omni is the type of development I can see working. The residential area is the glass tower above the lower hotel areas. (It is also very similar to the one Cuatrodemayo used in this boulevard rendering.)

I almost posted that as opposed to The Austonian. That would be really sweet as well.

Maybe Pete should put up a thread called 'Residential Explosion in Midtown'...

I think it was that Uber announcement that did it. Once developers found out we had Uber in OKC, they all came a running to throw cash at us for residential projects.

If Homeland were smart, they'd do the math and remodel their Classen store before some other grocery company figures this out.

Homeland would do well to remodel that store anyway...it only sits on the outskirts of 2 of the nicest neighborhoods in OKC.

More so than Homeland remodeling, if Deep Deuce wants a full-stock grocery store they probably need to beat Midtown to the punch. Otherwise, I could see Midtown getting a grocery store that serves the whole downtown community.

9. Default Re: 10th and Shartel Midtown Apartments

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Homeland would do well to remodel that store anyway...it only sits on the outskirts of 2 of the nicest neighborhoods in OKC.

More so than Homeland remodeling, if Deep Deuce wants a full-stock grocery store they probably need to beat Midtown to the punch. Otherwise, I could see Midtown getting a grocery store that serves the whole downtown community.
    Well said.

Sweet baby Jesus this is awesome! About time we get something like this! I think everybody's response has been like mine, scroll scroll Holy Cow! (Harry Caray voice)

This is awesome. I love my neighborhood.

What I would give to have Homeland remodel that store.

This has been long rumored. And in fact this block was shown on the new midtown redevolopment plan as pending development. Great to see that it Is 1 this many units and 2 has a great design

I just hope these fill up and the supply doesn't outpace the demand.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I just hope these fill up and the supply doesn't outpace the demand.
    Someone will be left without a chair in this cakewalk because developers usually don't stop until they discover they've run out of demand. That's when I'd start selling instead of renting. There will be a real dearth of for sale housing for the people who decide they want to stay downtown as they get older and are ready to buy. I'd condominiumize the Deep Deuce Apartments, selling one building at a time, if I were the owners of them.

I've updated the Downtown Housing Summary to reflect this project and bring it current.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Someone will be left without a chair in this cakewalk because developers usually don't stop until they discover they've run out of demand. That's when I'd start selling instead of renting. There will be a real dearth of for sale housing for the people who decide they want to stay downtown as they get older and are ready to buy. I'd condominiumize the Deep Deuce Apartments, selling one building at a time, if I were the owners of them.
    OKC is light years away from running out of demand. Nationally, it is something like 58% of all people want to live in walkable neighborhoods. So lets just assume OKC is average, that is about 600,000 OKC metro residents and you can count the walkable metro OKC neighborhoods on one hand. You are right about Deep Deuce apartments. If I owned them I would be looking into condo conversion as soon as the banks will start making condo loans. If that doesn't happen soon they will need to start tearing them down and making them more dense. While dense at the time they were constructed (especially by OKC standards), you can see there is a lot of wasted space there now. DD Apt took 4.5 city blocks to provide approx. the same number of units as The Edge did in 1 block, and this project does even more.

Oh, it may take years, but it will happen. Developers rarely know when to quit.

Pete, your graphic is a bit misleading. What is the yellow spot? The project is to the west of that.

Awesome news, by the way.

This looks fantastic.

THank you for the number breakdown on current DT residents.

4-5k currently and 7-8k projected based on confirmed projects.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    Pete, your graphic is a bit misleading. What is the yellow spot? The project is to the west of that.

Awesome news, by the way.
    I corrected it.

Somehow I have the feeling that a grocery store for Midtown may be already in the works, and that we just haven't heard about it yet. Of course, this is just a pure guess on my part.

I don't care if we have a big grocery in Deep Deuce. Native Roots is great to have. We can always take the streetcar to a grocery store in Midtown if they get one and we need items Native Roots doesn't carry

It would be great if Urban Renewal would consider opening up the broad swath of parcels between 10th Street South to, say 7th Street for a major retail development. It seems this is one of the few large blocks of land in the core left to build such a development, and might finally put the last missing piece of the puzzle for our reinvention in place.

Thread Information