Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    OU must maintain that "edge in recruiting" each year. Let's give Bob S. another toy to offer the kids, and keep them coming to Norman.
    Then tell us exactly what you would like done to OU's stadium / football facility’s and the surrounding areas with an aim to improve football recruiting?

Alabama wins in a huge stadium. It's not a sandlot.

I did not say we are competing against Alabama, I said we are competing against OSU / Tech / TCU / Baylor for these regional recruits now. A losing them.
    Totally, 100%, completely missed my point. Am I surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Totally, 100%, completely missed my point. Am I surprised?
    you were making the point that winning is the key to recruiting, but we are way beyond that point. At OU, it is about championships. We can show up and "win" 8-4 / 9-3" all day long, and never have to spend any money. But to get to the NC game again & win it, it is going to take more than just "winning".

traxx, how do you get the elite recruit from the state of texas now? w/o stadium or facilities enhancements. ...and remember, we already win games now.

4. Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

you were making the point that winning is the key to recruiting, but we are way beyond that point. At OU, it is about championships. We can show up and "win" 8-4 / 9-3" all day long, and never have to spend any money. But to get to the NC game again & win it, it is going to take more than just "winning".

traxx, how do you get the elite recruit from the state of texas now? w/o stadium or facilities enhancements. ...and remember, we already win games now.
    Do you really not get it or are you just playing us. I know I said I was done, but whatever. I can't let stupidity get by unchecked for some moral reason.

Yes OU should be competing for championships. However...the point that I made was that we get to these big games (BCS bowls) and have HORRIBLE win record. We aren't even winning when we do get there. Our pathetic performance in the big games is hurting recruiting more than Owen Field. Are you really this dense or just playing us?

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Do you really not get it or are you just playing us. I know I said I was done, but whatever. I can't let stupidity get by unchecked for some moral reason.

Yes OU should be competing for championships. However...the point that I made was that we get to these big games (BCS bowls) and have HORRIBLE win record. We aren't even winning when we do get there. Our pathetic performance in the big games is hurting recruiting more than Owen Field. Are you really this dense or just playing us?
    Hey Venture, I am the one guy that DOES get it. Please answer me this, why are we not competing in the BCS bowls ? ...answer that one please.

And, if we played Alabama in the NC game this year, how would we do? ...please answer that too.

Hey Venture, I am the one guy that DOES get it. Please answer me this, why are we not competing in the BCS bowls ? ...answer that one please.

And, if we played Alabama in the NC game this year, how would we do? ...please answer that too.
    We're not getting to BCS bowls because of poor coaching. Poor coaches recruit poorly. Look at how ugly OU's stadium was before the myriad of improvements its received in the Stoops era. Somehow Barry still pulled top talent from Texas. Now that may be an unfair comparison because very few people can recruit like Barry did. It's the coaching. The coaching the coaching. Not the stadium.

If we play Bama in the NC game. We lose. Big. Because of coaching. Saban schemes, he makes adjustments, he out coaches the guys on the other sideline. His players rarely make stupid mistakes.

Undisciplined teams means there's poor coaching. Lining up in the neutral zone, off sides calls, delay of game because we can't get a play in, breaking the huddle with 12 players, wasting time outs because we're disorganized is all because of the coaching. Not because we don't have a 100K seat stadium. I'm with venture on this one. Our on field performance does a lot more for or against our recruiting than our stadium. High school kids watch OU play on TV and they're not thinking about the stadium whether it be in Norman, Waco, the Cotton Bowl or wherever. They're thinking about the performance on the field. That's a national audience watching us put up a whopping 12 points. 2 of which were scored by the D.

I have been following recruiting at OU for about ten years and the main reasons players go to whatever college they choose is early playing time, the put players in the nfl, the position coaches are what they want and the education. Facilities are usually high on that list, but that is more in terms of the weight room, film room, etc. I don't think an extra 10,000 fans will be the tipping point for a recruit to play at a certain college.

8. Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

We're not getting to BCS bowls because of poor coaching. Poor coaches recruit poorly. Look at how ugly OU's stadium was before the myriad of improvements its received in the Stoops era. Somehow Barry still pulled top talent from Texas. Now that may be an unfair comparison because very few people can recruit like Barry did. It's the coaching. The coaching the coaching. Not the stadium.

If we play Bama in the NC game. We lose. Big. Because of coaching. Saban schemes, he makes adjustments, he out coaches the guys on the other sideline. His players rarely make stupid mistakes.

Undisciplined teams means there's poor coaching. Lining up in the neutral zone, off sides calls, delay of game because we can't get a play in, breaking the huddle with 12 players, wasting time outs because we're disorganized is all because of the coaching. Not because we don't have a 100K seat stadium. I'm with venture on this one. Our on field performance does a lot more for or against our recruiting than our stadium. High school kids watch OU play on TV and they're not thinking about the stadium whether it be in Norman, Waco, the Cotton Bowl or wherever. They're thinking about the performance on the field. That's a national audience watching us put up a whopping 12 points. 2 of which were scored by the D.
    Bingo. Nailed it perfectly. Unfortunately some are just too out there to see and understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I have been following recruiting at OU for about ten years and the main reasons players go to whatever college they choose is early playing time, the put players in the nfl, the position coaches are what they want and the education. Facilities are usually high on that list, but that is more in terms of the weight room, film room, etc. I don't think an extra 10,000 fans will be the tipping point for a recruit to play at a certain college.
    Yup...and last I checked the "behind the scenes" facilities are pretty top notch.

So OKVision4U are you ignoring my qustion or what?

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    Then tell us exactly what you would like done to OU's stadium / football facility’s and the surrounding areas with an aim to improve football recruiting?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Yep its the stuff I put in bold that needs to be a priority for OU expansions and upgrades and I believe that other than a new press box that they will be the priority.
    The 90+ year old west side restrooms need to go and escalators would be nice.

11. Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

So OKVision4U are you ignoring my qustion or what?
    They don't have an answer for us sir. He's just hear to troll more than likely.

12. Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

Yep its the stuff I put in bold that needs to be a priority for OU expansions and upgrades and I believe that other than a new press box that they will be the priority.
    The 90+ year old west side restrooms need to go and escalators would be nice.
    IOW, more quality of life additions...not 40 zillion more seats.

Guys, we can stick our heads in the sand if we want to, but all you have to do is ask "why did Gundy ask for a new make-over" for his facilities? He could coach, but the kids did not want to be there. You must look at the over-all level of talent. ...it is at a constant now.

Yes, the OC at OU needs to be moved, but we still rely on the elite athlete to be at OU, not just the average athlete. That is the recipe' for our success.
    Why? Because his facilities were among the worst in the nation. There was a reason it was called "Rustoleum Stadium."

Sorry, OKVision, but you can't have it both ways. You've been promoting the "100,000K or die" mentality, yet when presented with counterexamples that demonstrate the myopia of the concept (UCLA), you offer, in effect, "well, that doesn't count." It either does or it doesn't.

I'm really tired of this thread, because its not going anywhere, and we're not really able to have a good discussion about the right way to enhance OMS going forward without it being spun into this "BUILD AT ALL COSTS!!! AAIIIEEEEE!!!" silliness. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the pervasiveness of this notion here has essentially killed the value of the thread from this knothole.
    '
    Have a great day everyone.

I've finally decided, based on reading many studies and devouring some excellent books, that college athletics is a sham. The need to separate the academic institutions from competitive athletics is an imperative if America is to, once again, become a world power in so many areas. The distraction it serves is no longer worth it. University is for education. Let them become semi-pro and releaase the huge percentage of players who have no business being in college in the first place. The whole scandal of the special admit system (allowing players to enroll via scholarship with poor high school educations), the paying of millions to coaches, illegal activities, it shines light on the the fact that American universities are a joke compared with prestigious schools internationally. I've grown up with loving college sports, but it's no longer about student athletes, it's a distraction that we can no longer afford, and it encourages the feeder system of a network of high school athletic programs that are so far removed from academics that it's a joke. It's time to reevaluate our priorities and stop the obsession with college football and basketball. Instead of building new stadiums, I'm ready to shut down the ones we have and let the NCAA become a semi-pro league and separate from any association with educational institutions. It's time to seriously discuss this. I'm ready. We need to grow up and put away the toys.

Traxx, I agree about the coaching issues, I just wasn't going to make this another football discussion. Coach Switzer always said "it's the Jimmy's and the Joe's, not the X's & O's". So, what changes first?

If we played today against Alabama, we would not match-up (talent only) against them on 90% of the positions. We are sitting at a talent deficit that is staggering. We did not match up w/ Baylor. And our injuries / and poor coaching exposed our talent defcit.

In the past (from 1950 - 2005) , Bud / Barry / Bob could bring the top recruits in and get them on the field w/ "what Oklahoma can give you". This is made difficult w/ the playing time question to all recruits of "we can't promise your anything but a chance to compete". The mid-level teams promise them playing time as a freshman and possible starter. Those (single High profile recruits) have selected to choose playing time over tradition / championships in Norman. Also, let's be honest, that kid that is "on the bubble" is not WOW'd when they get here. Not just the stadium, but the area as a whole. ...this is not a new issue. ...so how many recruits have we lost in the past 5-8 years to mid level schools that now have "closed the gap" on facilities? ....many. Now they get playing time + a pretty cool place to play and not have to leave their home state? ...they have made that decision many times in that 8 year window.

If Texas is our Base of recruiting, and all the Texas schools have Up-Graded tremendously, then why is this a difficult concept to understand? Regardless the name of the HC in Norman is, will need to have an outstanding facility that WOW's them to continue to cross the Red River and suit up in Norman. When we make this next "enhancment", it needs to be BIG.

It needs to make an Impact on the recruits, so they will say, "I gotta play there". Now, I don't care how many seats it has ( yes more would be nice so we could have additional voices in seats ) but it needs to be the Meanest Home Field Advantage in the US. It needs to be the place that "looks the coolest on TV". ....I don't care how we accomplish this, but it needs to have this objective as a priority. It needs to be the Biggest Show in College Football / It needs to be the place ALL recruits must visit.

...or we can continue to lower our expectations....as they drain of high elite recruits will continue to find another college experience in Waco, College Station, Ft Worth, and yes, even Stillwater.

It looks like OKVision4U is going to ignore my question about what he would specifically like to see done to the OMS.

But lets not let that stop the rest of us from talking about our football facility's wish list.

17. Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

I know there are concerns about bowling in the stadium and such, but I really like the look of the new Kyle field after the renovations. Granted they are spending almost a half billion dollars to do it all. I don't think we need to push for 100k+ seats though like they are...

PHOTOS: Kyle Field expansion is underway at Texas A&M - CBSSports.com

It looks like OKVision4U is going to ignore my question about what he would specifically like to see done to the OMS.

But lets not let that stop the rest of us from talking about our football facility's wish list.
    I would like to see a newly rebuilt west side upper deck and press box and a newer bigger video board on the north side, mirroring the one on the south side. The south side could be rebuilt as well but I am not sure what could be done with the Switzer Center right there. The weight training center is top of the line and so is the weight room. The Everest Training center is amazing. What else could a potential recruit want? Oh and don't forget the $75 million Hrrington Hall across the street.

I want an Oregon type football operations/training facility. Add about 7k and fix the press box. That's how you entice the "now" generation of kids. Winning, obviously, makes a HUGE difference too.

OU48A ... I would like to see a CenturyLink Field ( formerly Quest ) in Seattle. This stadium broke a record w/ the loudest fans of 136.6 Db. ( Kansas City later broke that record @ 137 ) This is the kind of Impact statement we need for the recruit. With a new East / West sides under large over hang and capping the north end too, this would be "bad" place to play for opposing teams. The north end could be: take out the top 30 ish rows and put in a band of suites all across the top w/ a single small run of seats above the suites w/ and place a cap on the top. A new press center is a must for the west side and (2) levels of mixed suites & seating.

The South End could be a place that has many things going on at once. I would make it a multi purpose ( a Five star steak house that opens to the public full time / Billy Sims BBQ too / Large Suites for different functions to rent on game day / Suites that could be for Recruits and their families only / Make it close to the Field w/ multi levels of seating / The largest O and U placed on the South End Backside. Long ramps up to the stadium on the stadium from Jenkins ( do away w/ the pracise field on south side ). Might even place THE PRIDE of Okalhoma in the Center of the South End, and a cap for the South end too.

Place individual seating for all from goaline - goaline. Have bands of Tech Mesh on collums / caps so it looks to a party at night, plus this allows for vendors to rent ( help support OU more). ....this is just a couple of ideas.

OU48A ... I would like to see a CenturyLink Field ( formerly Quest ) in Seattle. This stadium broke a record w/ the loudest fans of 136.6 Db. ( Kansas City later broke that record @ 137 ) This is the kind of Impact statement we need for the recruit. With a new East / West sides under large over hang and capping the north end too, this would be "bad" place to play for opposing teams. The north end could be: take out the top 30 ish rows and put in a band of suites all across the top w/ a single small run of seats above the suites w/ and place a cap on the top. A new press center is a must for the west side and (2) levels of mixed suites & seating.

The South End could be a place that has many things going on at once. I would make it a multi purpose ( a Five star steak house that opens to the public full time / Billy Sims BBQ too / Large Suites for different functions to rent on game day / Suites that could be for Recruits and their families only / Make it close to the Field w/ multi levels of seating / The largest O and U placed on the South End Backside. Long ramps up to the stadium on the stadium from Jenkins ( do away w/ the pracise field on south side ). Might even place THE PRIDE of Okalhoma in the Center of the South End, and a cap for the South end too.

Place individual seating for all from goaline - goaline. Have bands of Tech Mesh on collums / caps so it looks to a party at night, plus this allows for vendors to rent ( help support OU more). ....this is just a couple of ideas.
    Can somebody please translate this for me?
    LOL
    Thanks!

Can somebody please translate this for me?
    LOL
    Thanks!
    You have trouble w/ the English language? ...that would be my translation.

You have trouble w/ the English language? ...that would be my translation.
    I'm sorry but you lost me at.... “bands of Tech Mesh on collums / caps so it looks to a party at night”

OU is not going to remove the top 30 or so rows of the north end zone to add suits. However OU might someday add them to the top row of the north endzone. OU has plenty of good food options for the folks in the suites...

But when is the football game its self not enough... ?

There comes a point when expectations of some folks are too off the charts. Many of these people wouldn't stay satisfied for long anyway. Those folks need to stay home or find something else to do.

I'm sorry but you lost me at.... “bands of Tech Mesh on collums / caps so it looks to a party at night”

OU is not going to remove the top 30 or so rows of the north end zone to add suits. However OU might someday add them to the top row of the north endzone. OU has plenty of good food options for the folks in the suites...

But when is the football game its self not enough... ?

There comes a point when expectations of some folks are too off the charts. Many of these people wouldn't stay satisfied for long anyway. Those folks need to stay home or find something else to do.
    If we had 20 Mil pop. in Oklahoma, we would not have to spend as much, but we would still have to keep up. Since we pull over 65% of our talent out of Texas, then we have to stay "ahead" in the Arms race. The game changed when the Boise State's beat us and Kansas State's / Baylor's / Tech's have talent.

( Taking out 30 rows of seats would allow the suites / new rows of seats to be closer to the field )

OU48A.... the other food options are for the others that want food options too.

Parity, sure! TCU / Baylor have the same 85 scholly limit. So how are they competing / beating us? ....let's move past the question of parity and the 85 scholly limit. Parity is just an excuse.

We must find a way to keep getting that "difference" maker that wants to move to Norman. We are not competing against UT for the Dallas Morning News Texas Top 100 anymore... That is now spread so thin across all Top 10 programs, plus the top regional schools, and now Baylor. This is our problem.

Mr. Boren & Joe C. ... McDonald's has Wifi. That is not what the top recruits are asking for, they want to be at "THE" place for football. Let's be that. ...set the bar so high, that Baylor / TCU / OSU / Tech don't catch us for another 25 years.
    Your argument is so riddled with holes and vague generalities that I'm not sure where to start. First, please start by explaining how TCU, a program that has literally not beaten OU on the field or in recruiting recently, and has an awful record and is not going to make a bowl game this season, is beating OU. Lol.

Thread Information