Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    As of last spring, according to Joe C OU's top priority would be a new press box that would include a small stadium expansion and span the entire west side.

The second expansion priority was a major south end zone expansion project. While OU would not charge big bucks for these end zone seats they are also probably a lot cheaper to construct at ground levels than seats that are in large upper decks.
    This would be the best big moves that can be made w/o being too much to undertake. The South Endzone would be a big help if it was enclosed ( Close and intimidating like The Swamp ). Help keep the noise to a constant roar & add to the home field advantage. Plus get us to 105 K. We can do every week.

OU definitely does not need 105,000 seats when $94 tickets are going for $20-30 pretty much every game.

Much to the chagrin of many posters here I learned late yesterday and on good authority that responsible officials at very high levels have realized the need and are quietly (just starting) working on a major new traffic plan that would help with OU football traffic. It would apparently involve some significant construction.
    Making Highway 9 a limited access freeway with interchanges at Jenkins, Chautauqua, Imhoff and 24th? That is the best way to funnel traffic into and out of campus.

One question I have not heard answered yet is how will OU pay for the new stadium construction?

Usually when OU builds something as major as this OU has received significant donations for the project.

Perhaps some of the new oil wealth to OU people finds its way to this project..... that would not be at all unusual as oil and NG interest are responsible for a very high presentage of major donations to OU going back for almost 100 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    OU definitely does not need 105,000 seats when $94 tickets are going for $20-30 pretty much every game.
    The history of the OU program should put us in the 105 K capacity. We can fill that every Saturday. And maybe those (less desired seats) could be lowered in price?

I want those 105 K fans gett'n loud. It would be a great point for the recruiting story as well.

One question I have not heard answered yet is how will OU pay for the new stadium construction?
    From the article:

The cost will be paid for by private donations, according to Castiglione.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    From the article:

The cost will be paid for by private donations, according to Castiglione.
    That was for the master plan update, but I think ou48A was asking about actual construction for projects that the master plan deems appropriate. At least that was my take, but he'll correct us.

8. Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

Hwy 9 to an interstate level isn't going to happen.

I'm pretty sure all expansion will be done with donations. I'm sure Joe C will clear it up when it becomes more of a likelihood.

9. Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

I would proceed cautiously. It's crtically important to keep in mind three words prior to proceeding:

1.) High;
    2.) Definition;
    3.) television.

Quote Originally Posted by KenRagsdale View Post
    I would proceed cautiously. It's crtically important to keep in mind three words prior to proceeding:

1.) High;
    2.) Definition;
    3.) television.
    which is why Joe C is pushing for the wifi and other technological advances (such as being able to send replay and other stats to your phone) in the stadium.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    which is why Joe C is pushing for the wifi and other technological advances (such as being able to send replay and other stats to your phone) in the stadium.
    Geographer, have you heard what other renovations we might be talking about? Anything to do with moving the Switzer Center?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Geographer, have you heard what other renovations we might be talking about? Anything to do with moving the Switzer Center?
    I haven't heard anything about that, but that doesn't mean something isn't in the works if you've heard something.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    That was for the master plan update, but I think ou48A was asking about actual construction for projects that the master plan deems appropriate. At least that was my take, but he'll correct us.
    Yes I am asking how will the actually construction will be paid for?

How much OU revives in donations will have a big impact on what actually gets built?
    If who OU has contracted with is any indication, based on some of their previous work this appears to be a major stadium project......... I would imagine that OU probably has most of the needed donors lined up for this project other wise OU officials would look pretty bad if these plans did not work out.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Making Highway 9 a limited access freeway with interchanges at Jenkins, Chautauqua, Imhoff and 24th? That is the best way to funnel traffic into and out of campus.

I would agree that this^ is needed but it really one of several things that are needed
    Its virtually a given that HY9 will eventually be brought up to interstate standards but when is the question?

While I wasn't told and specifics they know they need to do something and are kicking around thoughts and ideas on a plan to improve football traffic... The important thing to know is that they now know that the traffic / parking is already pretty much at the maximum for what most people will tolerate and that if they want to significantly add onto the stadium they must developer a plan to handle a lot more traffic. They know that the current traffic problems are keeping some people from attending games.

OU has conducted 2 survey's that I participated in that I know of with some of its season ticket holders/donors. They apparently receive a great deal of negative feed back on the bad parking and traffic issues in Norman.

I guessing that a one way Flood street could be a possibility fairly soon and that making Lindsey 4 lanes from Elm to the west is almost certain to happen with in the next 15 or so years.
    It would not solve the problem but I'm hoping that a commuter rail system would play a role in helping this issue.

i have heard that their will be a recruit lounge/players family lounge on one corner of that end zone. Like a big suite level thing that recruits and others can go to before /during halftime/and end of game. This would be a great idea.

16. Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

I guessing that a one way Flood street could be a possibility fairly soon and that making Lindsey 4 lanes from Elm to the west is almost certain to happen with in the next 15 or so years.
    It would not solve the problem but I'm hoping that a commuter rail system would play a role in helping this issue.
    Commuter rail would be a big help. People could just park downtown and take the train in.

Flood is a different animal. North of Main it isn't a big issue, but getting further south you start getting into a more dense, higher value residential area. You are also looking at a ton of curb cuts which isn't going to solve anything. A better solution is to create a by-pass of sorts from Flood/Robinson curving over Hayes and then follow University down. North of Downtown you are dealing with all sub $80K homes which makes buying out much more reasonable. Just south of Downtown is where the problems start which homes $400-600K - so 4-lanes is out. However, 2-lane with single lane roundabouts would easily handle the increased traffic through there. Of course at that point you are just needing to provide a gateway into Campus. It won't solve any parking concerns. This is where a garage or two at campus corner - along with other development options - could be a solution.

I'm not going to hit on Lindsey that much...we already have 20+ page thread on that, and if people can't keep comments in that area which Berry to Elm has also been discussed, then well...the wall in front of me would provide more stimulating conversation.

I think the idea is to temporary make Flood one way north after football games much like the do with Lindsey. It would cost some money and it would be a pain for some. They would need lots of new signage, adjust traffic lights/ stop signs and maybe add some man power.
    But this would probably be the quickest and cheapest way to make the problem better. There are other places where better traffic control at key intersections would help out a lot.

Here's to planning the city for 6 days a year. *raises glass*

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    Here's to planning the city for 6 days a year. *raises glass*
    Actually it's a plan that's not nearly that^ narrow minded!

It's a plan to keep and increases the many millions that flow into and benefit the community 365 days a year and year after year.....Just like OU is making a big investment in their stadium to keep and expand, the city of Norman will be making investments to help keep and expand this needed revenue source to the community.

20. Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

Actually it's a plan that's not nearly that^ narrow minded!

It's a plan to keep and increases the many millions that flow into and benefit the community 365 days a year and year after year.....Just like OU is making a big investment in their stadium to keep and expand, the city of Norman will be making investments to help keep and expand this needed revenue source to the community.
    It's pretty close, but someone that shares the same line of thought naturally would not call them narrow minded - that's for the 99% of the other posters on this board to do - and have. Repeatedly.

This will be a good investment for OU and Norman, but it obviously doesn't provide continuous revenue to the city. I'm in favor a better connector from the North. With Hwy 9 on the south that essentially takes care of getting traffic in and out of OU during high traffic days. Now if we could just get that train...

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    It's pretty close, but someone that shares the same line of thought naturally would not call them narrow minded - that's for the 99% of the other posters on this board to do - and have. Repeatedly.

This will be a good investment for OU and Norman, but it obviously doesn't provide continuous revenue to the city. I'm in favor a better connector from the North. With Hwy 9 on the south that essentially takes care of getting traffic in and out of OU during high traffic days. Now if we could just get that train...
    Because the money turns over in the community many, many times OU athletics does provide continuous revenue to the community, just like it has for many decades. There is almost always some construction project occurring too.

Because of the multiplier effect to the entire local community OU football has amounted to billions of dollars worth of economic activity to the local economy.
    In part because there are tons of OU fans who have moved to Norman, many in there retirement years so they can watch OU events more easily.

To see this as just 6 day event is truly narrow minded and that really is being very nice about it to say the least! Its true economic ignorance of Norman/OU to not understand this. Responsible people understand it well and that's about all that really matters

Because they have done research officials now know that they are up against what most fans will tolerate from traffic and parking congestion. This has provided the motivation to finally act.

Although I do not know what will be done it makes pure economic sense for the city to improve its traffic planing and street capacity to ensure that this large revenue stream to the community can continue and be expanded if desired.

Well, we certainly need a big boost in the OU stadium now. With all the negative press we are having now, a new stadium expansion would be a tool that Bob Stoops could use to get a few receivers that can catch. A Tight End that can be a difference maker. Some D-line / Some run stopping MLB's. ...a punter, a kicker, an offensive line that can keep them off the QB's back for a 4 count.

When Baylor is OUT-Recruiting you, then we have to WOW them into Norman.

I know that OU feels it needs to keep up with the 'Jones', but sometimes these 'improved stadiums' are not an improvement. When OSU closed in their end-zone they added new seats, boxes, restaurants, etc. Having attended many games in Stillwater, I don't think it was an improvement. It is true that the setting sun caused problems as it came right down the field, but with the box seats wrapping around the stadium, good views of the campus from the stadium, and of the seating from outside were blocked. Now the stadium seems out-sized to the campus and separate from it despite its architecture. As an alumni and architect I don't like it. Tulsa improved their stadium with better facilities, but fewer seats - why not, it was seldom filled. As an OU graduate as well, I enjoyed going to game's in the old stadium, but there have been many improvements at the stadium - most of them good. I am sure they could fill in most of the new seats, but at what point is it too much. Just look at Nebraska, Penn State, Tennessee - all stadiums expanded to the point of real eyesores - and fixing them or replacing would be very expensive. look at TCU and Baylor, new stadiums of similar capacity, just better quality. Well, hope it goes well, and does not become another mega-ugly embarrassment to the University. It can be done, but does it need to be?

Quote Originally Posted by TAlan CB View Post
    I know that OU feels it needs to keep up with the 'Jones', but sometimes these 'improved stadiums' are not an improvement. When OSU closed in their end-zone they added new seats, boxes, restaurants, etc. Having attended many games in Stillwater, I don't think it was an improvement. It is true that the setting sun caused problems as it came right down the field, but with the box seats wrapping around the stadium, good views of the campus from the stadium, and of the seating from outside were blocked. Now the stadium seems out-sized to the campus and separate from it despite its architecture. As an alumni and architect I don't like it. Tulsa improved their stadium with better facilities, but fewer seats - why not, it was seldom filled. As an OU graduate as well, I enjoyed going to game's in the old stadium, but there have been many improvements at the stadium - most of them good. I am sure they could fill in most of the new seats, but at what point is it too much. Just look at Nebraska, Penn State, Tennessee - all stadiums expanded to the point of real eyesores - and fixing them or replacing would be very expensive. look at TCU and Baylor, new stadiums of similar capacity, just better quality. Well, hope it goes well, and does not become another mega-ugly embarrassment to the University. It can be done, but does it need to be?
    ...if we end up 8-4, then Bob will need something he can sell to the upper level recruits. The difference makers. If it is great "enhancement" that has the WOW factor, then yes. If it is just a few more suites w/ a new pressbox, then that will only be a small impact to the High Level Difference maker recruits. A big difference between the two. Is it worth the gamble? ...I don't want to use the Go Big or go home, but yes, it is a priority. Remember, this is about football players and you have to have the right ones on your sideline when the game starts.

25. Default Re: Memorial Stadium Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    ...if we end up 8-4, then Bob will need something he can sell to the upper level recruits. The difference makers. If it is great "enhancement" that has the WOW factor, then yes. If it is just a few more suites w/ a new pressbox, then that will only be a small impact to the High Level Difference maker recruits. A big difference between the two. Is it worth the gamble? ...I don't want to use the Go Big or go home, but yes, it is a priority. Remember, this is about football players and you have to have the right ones on your sideline when the game starts.
    While the stadium needs some updating, the school already has state of the art facilities outside of it.

Thread Information