Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Faith in Humanity

Default Re: Faith in Humanity

Awesome story!

It's been a while and I need to be more diligent.....

Good job Utah Jazz !!!!!

Utah Jazz Sign 5-Year-Old Boy With Leukemia - NBC News

Before he died this year, a 14-year-old boy wanted to do something for his community.

That's why Martin Romero asked the Make-A-Wish Foundation to donate his wish to improve the local baseball fields that were his second home.

Martin was diagnosed with stage IV brain cancer last fall, his parents told CNN affiliate KRQE.

Originally, he wanted to skydive for his wish.

"Because of his tumor, they wouldn't allow that," mom Cindy Romero said. "He would have had to get permission from his physicians."

When his condition worsened in January, Martin decided he wanted to upgrade the Albuquerque, New Mexico, fields where he had played baseball since he was 6 years old.

Make-A-Wish donated $2,000 for improvements at South Valley Little League Baseball Field.

Martin died in January, before he could see the renovated fields.

His father said the new asphalt between fields makes it easier for people using wheelchairs, walkers or strollers to watch the games up close and support their teams. A painting of the young man was also added at the park.

"It's a situation where you can't even walk up and not shed a tear," John Romero said. "Just remembering him on the field."

This week, the Bernalilllo County Commission will consider renaming one of the fields after him. If the commission approves the naming, a county naming and memorial committee will make the final decision.

Kelroy: I want to take a moment to thank you for posting things like this.
    It is so refreshing to have at least a few positive and heartwarming thoughts added to my day.
    So . . . Thank You.

(yeah . . . I know . . . the thread started a year ago. the beauty part is that kindness, as shown by your examples, never goes out of style and stands outside of time.)

We all need some good news now and then

This one is a little long. I didn't intend to spend twenty minutes watching it.
    The investment of time is worth it. (imho)
    Alan Jackson had a hit with "Murder Was Committed Down on Music City Row."
    Here is the B-Side:
    Doug Seegers on Jills Veranda - YouTube

Here's a different excerpt, from the flow of the current culture, to atone for my "snark" over there on Art and Entertainment . . . (involving Local News).

Thanks, again, Kelroy. I count your contribution here as a blessing.
    For what it's worth.
    If I were Swedish I'd say Taks u Miket.
    Without the weird punctuation symbols. =)

Until I received a call at work, from my wife, asking if I had called her from my cell phone, I didn't know that it was lost. I knew I didn't have it on me, but I thought that it was simply sitting around the house somewhere; perhaps on the charger or buried under some of the junk mail on the coffee table. I told her I hadn't called and that this whole thing was a mystery to me.

Later, she called again with an explanation: A fellow, named Ricky, had been mowing behind a neighbor's house and had spotted my phone on the ground and had retrieved it prior to running over it with his mower. He apparently went to the contacts list, called to let someone know that he had it and left his phone number. Note: I sometimes walk from our house to a local convenience store instead of driving. That stroll takes my through the part of the field he was mowing. Apparently, the last time I did so, on the previous day, my "DumbPhone" (Samsung Rugby, Flip Variety) had fallen out of my pocket. When I got home that evening I called him back and he told me where I could pick up the phone.

I thought that his kindness deserved a tangible token of my appreciation, so I stopped at an ATM and got a twenty dollar bill. I realized that this was a very minor, extremely "tokenish" expression of gratitude and hoped he wouldn't be offended by the amount. When I got to his house, he handed me the phone and I reached into my pocket for the twenty. I pulled it out and said, "I would be honored if you would accept this for your concern and your trouble."

He firmly and absolutely refused the "reward." He said that something similar had happened to one of the members of his crew and he was simply glad to be able to help out.

All I could say was, "Thank you, again, for being a kind and honest person. They say that 'what goes around comes around' and I wish you all of the very best, always."

So . . . Count the minor miracles in there. I can count at least three.

WWJD

FT. LAUDERDALE, FL (WPLG/CNN) – It did not take long for City of Fort Lauderdale to make good on the promise to criminally charge those who violate a new ordinance that effectively outlaws groups from feeding the homeless in public.

On Sunday, the city charged three people, including two ministers and a 90-year-old homeless advocate, and they could face up to 60-days in jail for their so-called crime.

“I fully believe that I am my brother’s keeper. Love they neighbor as thy self,” explained Arnold Abbott.

90-year-old Abbott prepares hundreds of meals each week for the homeless in the kitchen of the Sanctuary Church.

“We serve two entrées at every feeding,” Abbott said.

But Abbott’s work now has him in trouble with the law.

He faces possible jail time and a $500 fine for feeding the homeless after he was charged Sunday with violating a new ordinance that virtually outlaws groups from sharing food with the hungry in the city.

“One of police officers came over and said ‘Drop that plate right now,’ as if I was carrying a weapon,” Abbott said.

Also charged was a minister from Coral Springs and Sanctuary Church pastor, Wayne Black.

“We believe very strongly that Jesus taught us that we are to feed his sheep,” said Pastor Black.

Mayor Jack Seiler warned arrests were coming.

“We enforce the laws here in Ft. Lauderdale,” said Mayor Seiler.

“It’s man’s inhumanity to man,” Abbott said.

Back in 1999, Abbott sued the city for banning him from feeding homeless on beach, a lawsuit he won.

“I’m going to have to go to court court again to sue the city of Fort Lauderdale, the beautiful city. These are the poorest of the poor. They have nothing. Don’t have a roof over their head, and who could turn them away?” Abbott asked.

Abbott is going to be firing up these stoves again on Wednesday when he has another food sharing plan for the beach. He says he doesn’t want to be arrested but he’s prepared for the possibility.

90-year-old Florida man arrested for feeding the homeless | KHON2

Stories and people like this make me realize how lucky I am and how petty my problems are.....

Terminally ill Mount St. Joseph freshman Lauren Hill made her college basketball debut Sunday in Cincinnati, and scored in front of a sold-out arena in a game that was moved up weeks so she would be able to play. After scoring, Hill said she’s “never felt so good in my entire life.” Hill has become an inspiration for millions across the world, and Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James posted a message to Hill on his Instagram account Monday.

“You are simply and truly “AMAZING” Lauren Hill!!! Thank you for inspiring me and I’ll try my best to match you! Congrats on your game. Also be looking out for a package from I to You! You’re Awesome!!!”

College Player Lauren Hill Takes the Court While Battling Cancer - NBC News

A couple items to add..

First one is to give a pat on the back to the company I work for. Every year we do the Salvation Army Christmas Tree Angel program and all the Angels they gave us were taken up the 1st day.

The second one was this video I saw and wanted to include it.

Those make-good-stuff-happen pranks are getting crazy. After turning a waitress' shift into the best day of her life, the people at Break decided to give away a house to Cara Simmons, a housekeeper and single mother of three. But first, they made her believe the new house was actually her new workplace.

In fact, the prank was for the entire family: They believed that the whole thing was only a nice day off for Cara. They were blown away when they discovered they got a new house that will be theirs for life.

Buffalo firefighters carrying a patient 10 blocks to mercy hospital

That's dedication and more then likely a very good work out.

I saw earlier on the NFL network that the stadium is literally under 4 feet of snow with more expected. They are hiring snow shovelers for 10 bucks an hour as well as free game tickets.

They may be done by spring lol

On Monday morning I had breakfast at a Jimmy's Egg in the city (yay snow days!). The couple behind me not only bought a homeless man a hot breakfast but invited him in to dine with them and hear about his life. It was as really heartwarming sight and I'm glad to see folks doing things like that.

Last night we went to the Thunder game with our 7-year old girl. When they did the t-shirt thing with the Balon Blaster, she got all excited and stood there with her hands up. A shirt landed in the hands of the people sitting directly behind us. The man immediately handed the shirt to our daughter. It made her so very happy! She is now wearing it as a nightshirt. It's like her most prized possession.

Whoever you are, t-shirt guy, your random act of kindness was so awesome, and it made a little girl's special evening even more special. I hope some real good Karma will find its way to you this holiday season.

Something a little different but seeing things like this never gets old.

Dad's disguise hides a sweet surprise - CNN.com Video

This one if twofold. One for the young lady who was killed trying to help another in trouble and for all the people who showed up to pay their respects. A very sad story.

Large crowds in Germany have been paying their final respects to a young woman who was killed defending two girls from harassment.

Tugce Albayrak died on Friday after she was hit on the head and left in a coma outside a McDonald's near Frankfurt.

Hundreds of mourners attended a service at a local mosque before she was due to be buried in her home town.

A man of 18 remains in custody over the 15 November attack, which shocked Germany.

The funeral took place at a mosque in Waechtersbach, attended by Hesse's state Prime Minister Volker Bouffier. The Turkish ambassador was also due to take part in the service.

Mr Bouffier spoke of the "horror" of the attack that had made her death all the sadder.

BBC News - Tugce Albayrak funeral: Thousands mourn in Germany

Thread Information