Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Drake

Default Re: The Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Well if you compare it to the same meal at KFC for $24 that might seem high.... But $12 per person at the Drake.... Sounds like a steal to me.

And now that I know they have fried chicken, not a big seafood fan, I'm more likely to go give them a try.
    how about the same meal at chicken foot ? 21 bucks for a whole fried chicken ..

i have no issue paying for eating out .. but some of these prices are crazy ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

i have no issue paying for eating out .. but some of these prices are crazy ..
    i will also ask .. is this place now "fine dining" it certainly was not that level of service before ... if that is now what they are planning to be it would change my perspective ..

3. Default Re: The Drake

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Not been to Chicken Foot... Is that just for the chicken or chicken and sides because if it's a meal then Chicken Foot is definitely a steal compared to KFC's meal.

4. Default Re: The Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Not been to Chicken Foot... Is that just for the chicken or chicken and sides because if it's a meal then Chicken Foot is definitely a steal compared to KFC's meal.
    Last time I was there the whole fried chicken was an 8piece. Sides were extra. Good chicken though.

5. Default Re: The Drake

If it's the same recipe as the leg they stick off into the pot pie at Kitchen 324 I'd probably pay even more for it. That leg is my favorite piece of fried chicken in Oklahoma.

Drake's does include sides, so makes up some of that cost.

I think they should have advertised the half-chicken price with a footnote for the full-bird. Less shocking.

Anyone been here that can provide feedback? I am curious how they compare now to real seafood restaurants like you'd expect on the coasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Anyone been here that can provide feedback? I am curious how they compare now to real seafood restaurants like you'd expect on the coasts.
    I haven't been there since the pandemic, but it is very much not like coastal seafood restaurants. It is / was quite good, but not really in the vein of a seafood restaurant. OKC doesn't really have a true seafood restaurant (unless you want to talk about Red Lobster). It has restaurants that serve good seafood as a part of the menu but not really a seafood-focused restaurant. The lack of a high quality seafood restaurant is an absolute weakness in our culinary offerings.

I really wish we get a nice seafood restaurant. I mean there’s a couple middle tier ones that are pretty decent and our Cajun game has really gone up lately. Hell even a McCormick and Schmicks or Pappadeaux would really be an incredible option at least for me.

I am not a huge seafood person yet one of the best meals I've ever had was just a hole in the wall shack with a boardwalk and a pier off the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. Wild what a difference fresh fish and shrimp can make to a meal.

I recently went to fisherman’s warf in San Francisco and I had the worst seafood I’ve ever had in my life. The oysters were inedible. I was very surprised.

I haven't been but is Pearl's Oyster Bar worth trying?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    It's pretty darn good overall. Not life changing, but good. Miss the vibe of the old location. It has a decent mix of creole / Cajun offerings and a solid bar. Again, not really a seafood restaurant.

Not now. Used to be really good decades ago, but eaten twice there in the past 8-9 years and it's just not the same quality, Crabtown's not worth it either, but Trapper's is good, strange how that works. Blackened alligator dinner and crawfish etouffee are the things I usually get at Trapper's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Not now. Used to be really good decades ago, but eaten twice there in the past 8-9 years and it's just not the same quality, Crabtown's not worth it either, but Trapper's is good, strange how that works. Blackened alligator dinner and crawfish etouffee are the things I usually get at Trapper's.
    The recipes and ownership are the exact same at all those locations. The food is about as middle of the road now as it was 15 years ago when I worked there. Blackened shrimp tabasco caesar salad is the best thing on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    The recipes and ownership are the exact same at all those locations. The food is about as middle of the road now as it was 15 years ago when I worked there. Blackened shrimp tabasco caesar salad is the best thing on the menu.
    Cooks are different though. I agree the blackened alligator is better at Trappers than Pearls for some reason. I content that Fish City Grill in Edmond is the best seafood place in the metro I've been to so far.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Yeah, I know about the ownership, that's why I posted about Crabtown and Trapper's. Even if the recipes are the same, only about 50-60% of their menu items are at all locations, each one has a large amount of unique dishes. And yes, agree it's just average, but the things I had at Trapper's were better than the things I had at Pearl's and Crabtown.

Sure the food at Crabtown is average to good but it is the only place in downtown where you can grab some fish for lunch I think.
    If you know any , please let me know.

The restaurant itself could use a deep renovation. Bust some windows in those wall !

19. Default Re: The Drake

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    …Crabtown… …is the only place in downtown where you can grab some fish for lunch I think.
    If you know any , please let me know…
    Bourbon Street Cafe

I’ve occasionally seen nice offerings at Nebu. Flint used to have an incredible lobster roll but when I was there recently I think I noticed it being off the menu. Need to check back on that one.

Also, multiple sushi places downtown - three that I can think of off the top of my head - some better than others, plus Broadway 10 has sushi and is open for lunch.

And if you’re downtown at dinner time Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse has a stealthy, fresh seafood menu with a few offerings that are among the best in OKC.

Manhattan Bar downtown has a nice lobster roll as well.

Has anyone tried the Cousins Maine Lobster food truck?

^^^ oh hell yes they amazing. I wish they’d open up a brick and mortar location like they have in WeHo.

Had Cousin's Maine Lobster at the brewery on Memorial. It was really good, but damn, was it small! I've seen lobster rolls in restaurants on the east coast for up to $30, so I guess $16 for a mini-roll is decent. Couple of bites just didn't cut it......

24. Default Re: The Drake

It looks like the lobster roll is indeed no longer on the menu at Flint. That’s a shame. My longtime (late) boss and eventual business partner was originally from Maine, then Boston, then south Florida. He was a bit of a seafood snob, and he (grudgingly) placed that Flint lobster roll up among the best he’d ever eaten.

Anyway, back to the Drake. Anxious to check out the revived location and tweaked menu.

Has anyone tried the Cousins Maine Lobster food truck?
    There is just something just not right about eating a lobster roll in Oklahoma served from a truck.

Thread Information