Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Drake

Default Re: The Drake

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Tuck, how will you accommodate those of us who will come by ourselves and dine at your bar here? Will you have options that will be OK for one person by himself?
    We encourage sharing among diners with a recommendation of 2-4 items per person. Almost all items on the menu can be ordered and enjoyed by solo diners. Don't think huge portions or tapas, think sharing normal size entrees and salads. Expect to see untraditional menu categories...no more "apps, salads, entrees, etc..." All items will arrive at your table the second the kitchen finishes them. You might get a whole grilled lobster before a salad or an order of crispy fries before your crudo dish.

This is going to be fun!

Menu:

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    This is going to be fun!
    It IS fun!

Everything we ate today was great, service was just right, and the atmosphere is fantastic.

Do they have raw oysters?

Tuck,

Where are you getting your seafood from, and is it flown in daily?

Thanks in advance and can not wait to try it.

Pete, did you not take a photo of the bottom part of the menu?

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Pete, did you not take a photo of the bottom part of the menu?
    That's not my photo.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Do they have raw oysters?
    facepalm

is this place open to the public yet? my wife and I were going to stop by tomorrow evening if possible. i have called multiple times but no one is answering.

Open to the public on Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Full Menu thanks to Casey Cornett:

Our menu is written to be shared, served family-style in the center of the table. Think impromptu dinner party with friends. Dishes will be served "as ready" the moment our kitchen finishes preparation. At Drake, we believe this style of menu highlights the delight of enjoying a great meal. The love of food, beverage and hospitality… sharing is a part of the experience. The Drake is a place to pass the plate, pick up the forks and be happy to share.

Everything on that menu looks fantastic.

Can't wait to try it.

Think I'll stop by on Wednesday, see how well it works for someone dining solo.

Let us know, David... I'm curious as to your experience AND... some of the menu items look kind of exotic to me, too.

I hope they are able to tell you before you order how many people any particular order item should serve.

I drove by there on Saturday night after leaving Guyutes and they looked very busy.

16. Default Re: The Drake

^^^^^^
    They are. For instance, they represented that the paella pan (incredible, BTW) could be split by four, and there was beyond enough.

I made it in last night thanks to a friend's generous invite, and it was everything that the week's flurry of Twitter and Instagram pics had promised. It was fantastic in every way, including food, space, and service. One of Tuck's management team said it had been the smoothest soft opening that he had ever been a part of, so that bodes well. It honestly seemed like the place had been open for months.

As an added bonus I stopped into The Pump for a nightcap and was introduced to PaseoFreak, who was great to talk to and not at all freaky, as far as I could tell. I will say that I was a little bit disappointed that he wasn't sporting a long gray pony tail and tie dye. We did, however, at least TALK about hippies, so that was good.

17. Default Re: The Drake

Here is their menu:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drake_Menu.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	325.5 KB 
ID:	11379

18. Default Re: The Drake

Made it there again last night and ate solo at the bar. Once again it was outstanding. A half-dozen oysters (mixed varieties), asparagus salad (one of my favorite items at this point), and the hiramasa that I missed out on at soft open. It was thick and flaky, seared with a perfect crust. Washed it down with a Prairie Standard ale. Fantastic on all counts.

19. Default Re: The Drake

Went there today with three other friends for lunch. Bill was $175 before tip - so, its safe to say we sampled a lot of items on the menu.

Really like the layout of the place and the open and airy feel. Was surprised at how 'fishy' the place smelled though (yes, I know its a seafood restaurant, but I've been in many that didn't hit you in the face with the aroma - it was noticed by all of us).

Got there about 12:30pm and there were several empty tables so we were seated in a booth immediately.

Waitress was very friendly, but obviously was still learning the menu. When asked what she'd recommend we got the standard "It's all good" response.

I like the variety on the menu and that it didn't offer too much.

What we ordered:
    1.) Grilled Oysters
    2.) Variety of fresh oysters
    3.) Fried Oyster Banh Mi
    4.) Sea Scallop Ceviche
    5.) Seared Hiramasa
    6.) Linguini & Clams with Chorizo
    7.) Grilled Sea Scallops
    8.) The Drake Creamsicle
    9.) Chocolate Hushpuppies
    10.) Leamon Cloud Pie

It was explained that the food is served 'family style', therefore served as soon as prepared and meant to be shared.

Personally, while we all are accustomed to ordering a variety and sharing, the execution at The Drake was a bit lost on us...

The entrees did indeed come out as prepared (staggered), but the waitperson (not always our waitress) who brought each order always inquired as to who ordered a particular entree and placed it in front of them - as opposed to 'center of the table' service as described on the menu. Also, when we've been to 'family style' restaurants in the past, that was usually an indication that the serving size was much larger than a typical single entree. None of us found any of the entrees to be any larger than at non 'family style' restaurants. In fact, with the four of us we each basically got one or two bites each after 'sharing.'

The consensus on the entrees; Oysters were all good - but bigger and less briney oysters can be had at existing restaurants such as Boulevard and even The Shack. We did however really like the seasoning choices that came with the oysters.

Our personal favorites were the Linguini & Clams and the Fried Oyster Banh Mi. Probably would have ranked the Grilled Sea Scallops near the top, but they weren't cooked throughly so I was a bit weary.

It's most likely just personal taste, but I wasn't overly impressed with the ceviche. My favorite restaurant for ceviche right now is served at Zarate's Latin Grill in Edmond.

None of the entrees though were less than 'good' and a couple were 'very good.'

The desserts were a real hit. Hard for me to pick a favorite as each had it's own distinction. I ranked them all equally excellent.

Beyond the lack of knowledge of the menu (opening pains), and the non center of the table service (attention to detail), the waitress and attention we received were excellent. They must have cleared our serving plates 3-4 times, with new silverware each time, and we never wanted for drink refills. We were not fans of their choice of drink pitchers however. Seemed every time the waitress refilled our glasses, a huge chunk of ice would splash into our glass or otherwise fall onto the table.

We found it odd though that no fresh bread was offered. When one of our party asked about bread we were told "we don't serve bread but let me check with the back and see." A few minutes later a gentleman appeared and asked if we requested bread. He then proceeded to place a single thin slice of toasted bread in the center of the table - which we all found odd and had to snicker a bit.

Considering the place literally just opened I think it went well and we all agreed (one hesitantly) that we'd certainly patronize The Drake again. I'll probably take the wife there on a date one night soon and get her opinion.

20. Default Re: The Drake

On the soft opening night that I attended we also requested bread, and they brought us some very acceptable bread that we used to mop up various sauces, etc. At one point we remarked only half-jokingly that our favorite thing was the sauce from the linguini and clams mopped up with the crusty bread. Don't be mad, Tuck. ��

Do they have a separate lunch and dinner menu ? The fried oyster banh mi sounds very interesting!

They should serve bread, and the restaurant should not smell fishy. That said, I'm excited to give this a try.

Only $12 for a bahn mi, lol

24. Default Re: The Drake

I haven't noticed a fishy smell the two times I've been, but if there ever is one it is probably owing to the fact that oyster shucking (at a pretty high volume) is going on OUTSIDE of the kitchen area, at the end of the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I haven't noticed a fishy smell the two times I've been, but if there ever is one it is probably owing to the fact that oyster shucking (at a pretty high volume) is going on OUTSIDE of the kitchen area, at the end of the bar.
    Yeah, we didn't notice a smell either. Might be a timing thing...

Thread Information