Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Drake

Default Re: Good Egg Group to open new seafood restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Italian food is my favorite cuisine so I will definitely be looking forward to that. Out of curiosity though, how does the Italian food in OKC stack up and what are the best restaurants? Since I've been here I usually go to Zio's which I like pretty well.
    Vito's and Stella are the two we go to the most. Bellini's got bad for a while but it is actually a lot better now that La Baguette owns it.

2. Default Re: Good Egg Group to open new seafood restaurant

Regarding Italian, Gabriella's has been a nice addition. Lots of "Italian" options in OKC, but surprisingly few old-school family Italian places here.

Anyway, back to seafood...yum.

Quote Originally Posted by icecold View Post
    As betts mentioned, the crab cake is really good. Also like the clams in linguine, fish and chips, salmon....havent tried them all, but almost every seafood dish i have had there has been very good.
    Agreed. Their Sole is wonderful as you can choose the style that it is finished. Shellfish is also delicious; PEI Mussels and clams.

On the south side, which seems to be where I end up the most anymore, Bella Vista is an interesting combination of Italian and Greek food. Well, the menu tells me they offer Greek food as well, and I have heard it is quite good, but I haven't gotten past the Italian side of the menu to date. It's like Kendal's in Noble having more than a chicken fried steak platter on their menu. Knowing options are there, for others, works just fine for me.

For Italian, you gotta try Bella Vista.

AGEDG always does a great job of taking something we thought we liked and making us like it more by putting a spin on it. Tuckers, Iron Starr and republic are easy examples of onion burgers, bbq and pub food that we thought we knew and now have a better appreciation for. I am excited to see what they can do with a seafood restaurant. I would like to see them do a comfort food restaurant. Chicken and waffles hasn't been overdone too much in OKC and that is something they would do well.

don't want to derail the thread, but is bella vista's pizza worth getting? -M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    don't want to derail the thread, but is bella vista's pizza worth getting? -M
    I had a calzone several years ago and it was good, it was just a lot. I got the small and it looked like a turkey. Not even joking.

Now, as for the pizza, I like simple pepperoni or meat pizza and their pizza looks good, just not the ingredients I typically put on a pizza. I will probably try the Tuscan next time I am there. Here are the ingredients from their menu: (no pizza sauce used) using our freshly prepared dough, we brush it with our extra virgin olive oil, then we start a layering of parmigiano reggiano, pecorino romano, mozzarella, provolone cheese, we then continue with grilled chicken, grilled zucchini, carmelized onions, roasted red peppers and garlic.

mmm, I've been told yes, and when I've seen and smelled it going to the table of others, it was rather pleasing to both nose and eyes.
    Never noticed anyone complaining or sending it back.

Bchris02,
    I like Gabriella's, Vito's, and Papa Dio's. There are a few I haven't tried, so not a knock on others, these are just my favorites. I have heard good things about Rococo's and Bella Vista but for some reason haven't been there.
    C. T.
    Italian food is my favorite cuisine so I will definitely be looking forward to that. Out of curiosity though, how does the Italian food in OKC stack up and what are the best restaurants? Since I've been here I usually go to Zio's which I like pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Bchris02,
    I like Gabriella's, Vito's, and Papa Dio's. There are a few I haven't tried, so not a knock on others, these are just my favorites. I have heard good things about Rococo's and Bella Vista but for some reason haven't been there.
    C. T.
    Are all those restaurants with a romantic vibe or just good food? That's the thing about Italian restaurants. A lot of them are more for the atmosphere and the "date" aspect than the food.

Are all those restaurants with a romantic vibe or just good food? That's the thing about Italian restaurants. A lot of them are more for the atmosphere and the "date" aspect than the food.
    Bella Vista is definitely more for the food than atmosphere. Milt and Dena are from Greece and the food is very authentic. The olive oil used to ocme from their family olive trees but not sure if it still does. Food is outstanding. Lasagna and bake Ziti are my favorite. My kid loves the alfredo which the sauce is made to order. No bar though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Bella Vista is definitely more for the food than atmosphere. Milt and Dena are from Greece and the food is very authentic. The olive oil used to ocme from their family olive trees but not sure if it still does. Food is outstanding. Lasagna and bake Ziti are my favorite. My kid loves the alfredo which the sauce is made to order. No bar though.
    My wife always gets the Chicken Parm and I get the Chicken Fettucini Alfredo (no, I am not Jeepnokc's kid...). They do serve Bud and Bud Light out of the draft and coke products, but that is about it. I always wondered why they didn't at least offer a few different kinds of wine. It might be a liquor license/permitting issue that I don't know about.

The one thing you have to remember when going to BV is you can't be in a rush or hungry. Every time I have gone, it has taken the waitress/owner/checkout lady (same person) aka Dena about 10-15 minutes to come over and take our order. Once the food is ready, they bring it to you. There might be a party of 10 and only three people's orders are ready but they will bring them out so they are hot. Then, they will bring out the rest of the orders when they are ready. Once, I received mine and my wife received hers five minutes later. We weren't mad because we were expecting it. I would make plans to be there for 1.5 hours. It could be less, but it could be more too.

Bchris,
    I don't go anywhere for a romantic vibe, I go for good food. I'm not an expert on Italian food, but I know what I like. Also, good service is important to me.
    C. T.[/B]

14. Default Re: Good Egg Group to open new seafood restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    ...They do serve Bud and Bud Light out of the draft and coke products, but that is about it. I always wondered why they didn't at least offer a few different kinds of wine. It might be a liquor license/permitting issue that I don't know about...
    This just tells me they don't want (or don't have the budget) to invest in a full mixed beverage license (required to serve wine, liquor, strong beer). What you have described is 3.2 only service, which is easy to get and does not require permitting from Oklahoma's ABLE commission. To get a 3.2 beer license requires a few hundred dollars and a permit from the county, which is basically a formality.

To get an MXB from ABLE requires on-site ABLE inspection, a storage area not accessible to minors, and separate annual permits from ABLE, the Oklahoma Tax Commission (over and above a regular tax permit), the City of Oklahoma City, and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (a multi-year permit). Each of the aforementioned permits averages well over $1000.

It has been a while since I went through a licensing or renewal, but I think the whole enchilada runs in the neighborhood of $4K or 5K annually. Perhaps the restaurant folks in question decided it just didn't make sense financially for their place.

Go to Stella.

Zio's is bad frozen food reheated by people who don't care about what they're doing.

Blog Entries

And why has this thread turned into ANOTHER Italian restaurant referendum? Maybe this is why we don't have real seafood restaurants in this city. People would rather talk about and eat carb heavy pasta with more sugary red sauce and finish it off with a cheap glass of Merlot. Once we get a REAL AUTHENTIC Italian restaurant announced and built, THEN it will be a great thread topic.

Possible because
    (a) there's not a lot to compare between what tuck will build and what presently exists, or
    (b), talking about good foof in the future inevitably makes folks hungry so what to eat in the meantime discussions crop up or,
    (c), Spartan is posting less these days and someone needed to give you a reason to get your knickets in a twist, or
    (d) all of the above.

Might be something else entirely though.

or (e) Tuck has zero plans to open an Italian restaurant!

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    or (e) Tuck has zero plans to open an Italian restaurant!
    And boom goes the dynamite...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Possible because
    (a) there's not a lot to compare between what tuck will build and what presently exists, or
    (b), talking about good foof in the future inevitably makes folks hungry so what to eat in the meantime discussions crop up or,
    (c), Spartan is posting less these days and someone needed to give you a reason to get your knickets in a twist, or
    (d) all of the above.

Might be something else entirely though.
    It is c. Definitely c. Spartan, come back....I need someone to banter with. JTF is too predictable. LOL

21. Default Re: Good Egg Group to open new seafood restaurant

But, if Tuck DID open an Italian restaurant, I'll bet it would rock!

Given their overall track record, there's no doubt on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Anyone remember Boca Boca? Their seafood specials were legit and it was done in OKC. So, it's possible, but maybe their closing means it's not feasible here? I don't know.
    I remember Boca Boca. In fact, the best piece of fish I ever ate was prepared there. Unfortunately, this wasn't long before it changed to Sean Cummings Irish Pub. (the new location of which, next to Vito's, is where we dined last night, btw. I love their fisherman's stew, salmon boxty and salmon club sandwiches).

FYI: If you want some good scallops without making the trip to Vast, go to Gulfport Seafood (on May) buy either the thawed $17+ per lb. versions in the display case or the $10+ per lb. frozen bags (then thaw them) hit them with a little S&P plus some lime juice, heat some oil in a skillet to a very hot temp, put the scallops in the skillet, reduce the heat to medium, cook for two minutes, flip and cook for two more minutes, then plate with whatever side-starch and/or veggies you like and drizzle your butter, lemon, parsley, Mirin, chopped mushrooms/shallots, and capers sauce over them. Even if the side-starch is Ramen noodles, this ain't too shabby. A little "coleslaw deluxo" on the plate adds a nice little crunch to the meal.

P.S.: Some small Striper filets (from Lake Texhoma) hit with some Chef Paul's Blackened Redfish Magic then pan-seared for 4 min. and to a 400-deg. oven for 4 more minutes, also on the plate, make it a meal that I would be willing to pay $14.99 for in a restaurant. Maybe even more. =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I remember Boca Boca. In fact, the best piece of fish I ever ate was prepared there. Unfortunately, this wasn't long before it changed to Sean Cummings Irish Pub. (the new location of which, next to Vito's, is where we dined last night, btw. I love their fisherman's stew, salmon boxty and salmon club sandwiches).

FYI: If you want some good scallops without making the trip to Vast, go to Gulfport Seafood (on May) buy either the thawed $17+ per lb. versions in the display case or the $10+ per lb. frozen bags (then thaw them) hit them with a little S&P plus some lime juice, heat some oil in a skillet to a very hot temp, put the scallops in the skillet, reduce the heat to medium, cook for two minutes, flip and cook for two more minutes, then plate with whatever side-starch and/or veggies you like and drizzle your butter, lemon, parsley, Mirin, chopped mushrooms/shallots, and capers sauce over them. Even if the side-starch is Ramen noodles, this ain't too shabby. A little "coleslaw deluxo" on the plate adds a nice little crunch to the meal.

P.S.: Some small Striper filets (from Lake Texhoma) hit with some Chef Paul's Blackened Redfish Magic then pan-seared for 4 min. and to a 400-deg. oven for 4 more minutes, also on the plate, make it a meal that I would be willing to pay $14.99 for in a restaurant. Maybe even more. =)
    Mmmm What time's dinner? Save me a plate! I'll bring the wine or beer.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    Mmmm What time's dinner? Save me a plate! I'll bring the wine or beer.
    Something with a screw top and not too fizzy might be good.
    Make it pink in order to compromise between the red faction and the white faction.
    Perhaps something from Carlo Rossi. =)

(Actually, Yellowtail Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay ain't bad with the fish. Heck, I like that Reisling from . . . Dang. I can't remember the name of the bottler--oops, I mean vintner. I know there is much better wine out there, but . . . =)

Thread Information